Monster Irene

Old 08-26-2011, 09:21 AM

I'm from Miami, have some experience with Hurricanes. First take a deep breath, try not to stress. I love to bake when I am stressed, so I bake before a storm. Since you may loose power be prepared, to do that I like to have chocolate chip cookies on hand. There really isn't anything you CAN do but I would try not to watch TV constantly..they(the tv stations) make it worse.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:17 AM

Be sure to attach your documents and important papers in a plastic Ziploc bag to keep them near you in a backpack that can be easily carried out if needed.
Along with food for humans and pets, water, medicines, first aid items, battery-powered radio, flashlights, candles and match box, a set of change clothes for each household member, shoes and socks, sleeping bag and tent , pet leash.
Be in my prayers.
I hope and pray that nothing happens!
A big hug for you and yours!
Old 08-26-2011, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

We are on the Gulf Coast and have lived through several big ones. Not fun. Good luck and stay safe. We never lost our water, but did lose power for several days. And Gustav took our fence and damaged our roof. I learned not to keep a full freezer during hurricane season. No matter how much ice we have and don't open the freezer, it is never enough and we have to throw it all away.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:40 AM

I'm thinking of my Lil' Sis in CT. She lives on the coast in Southport. They lose power all the time with harsh storms. I can imagine what Irene will do.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:50 AM

If you are close to the coast, evacuate. A hurricane is unpredictable to the kind of damage it can cause, each one is different. Don't forget you pictures that can't be replaced.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:52 AM

It's a waste of time to tape the windows, and just makes more work to untape and clean them later. BUT...DO NOT LEAVE YOUR WINDOWS OPEN TO RELIEVE PRESSURE. WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!!

Close up the house as tightly as you can. I went thru Charlie, Ivan, Rita, Francis,.....Wilma,...seems like every hurricane that thought of coming near Florida. Trust me on this. And a few tornadoes, to boot. Leave those windows closed.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:21 AM

Put all your important papers (insurance, etc) in double ziplock bags and in a high safe place. Anchor trees by staking them with ropes. If you can, take pictures of your house - outside and inside and of your belongings.

Good luck I have family living in VA beach,on an island off S Carolina and also some on the coast of New Jersey - Prayers for all of you.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:24 AM

I have a Daughter in Jacksonville, and im she and her Family will be ok
Old 08-26-2011, 11:40 AM

Also, make sure that your important papers such as house deeds, insurance papers ( house and medical), birth certificates, immunizations records, passports, etc. are in freezer ziplock bags and are close at hand. Have a contact person you can call and report into in case something should happen and you get seperated. Someone your whole family would know to call and report in to.Have a plan. You can never be TO prepared. Better prepared than to have tragedy hit and loose everything. Hugz and our prayers are with all who may be affected. Stay high and dry.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:47 AM

Praying for everyone's safety!