Monster Irene

Old 08-26-2011, 11:50 AM

Get cash along with your other preparations. Make sure everything that is battery operated us fully charged or fresh batteries. Don't tape windows. Back up your computer, especially things like photos. I've been through 4 of them. Be safe. You and yours are what is important. The rest is stuff!
Old 08-26-2011, 02:36 PM

I have been keeping a very close watch on Irene. My baby lives in upper Manhattan. She called me Tuesday to tell me that her office building swayed in the earthquake. I am hoping that she won't have any damage to her apartment. I am so concerned about the entire East coast. We haven't had a major problem with hurricanes in several years. The rain is needed in other parts of the country, not in NY and New England. Thoughts going out to all who live in the areas that are being and will be effected by Irene.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by nyelphaba
I feel like a big monster is coming for us. I keep watching TV for updates and I am scared. Went to the grocery store and they were already out of water so I went to another and their supply is getting very low. Have batteries, candles, battery operated lanterns, water and enough food for us and dogs. Gas in cars and tomorrow I will put the patio furniture away. I am afraid of the flooding and falling trees.
We're in Long Beach. I always keep empty soda bottles filled with water and a couple of drops of bleach. We also have lots of glass gallon bottles from wine and those work well, too. Be safe. Prayers!
Old 08-26-2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by flowerjoy
Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
Originally Posted by craftybear
Be safe,

you can also fill up gallon jugs from your tap water,

you can also fill up the bathtub with water, so you can still flush toilets

fill up washer machine (to have extra water to flush toilets)

I feel like a big monster is coming for us. I keep watching TV for updates and I am scared. Went to the grocery store and they were already out of water so I went to another and their supply is getting very low. Have batteries, candles, battery operated lanterns, water and enough food for us and dogs. Gas in cars and tomorrow I will put the patio furniture away. I am afraid of the flooding and falling trees.
My FIL have gone thru ANDREW and CHARLIE in Florida and he would fill up the tubs for flushing...he had a lot of damage as Charlie was a direct hit. Don't forget to tape windows.
taping only keeps the glass a bit together when it breaks... board your windows if you can ... if you can't stay in a room that has no outside windows... flying glass is not fun.
You are so right...the tape is better than nothing, but not as good as boarding...
When you were without power for 6 weeks...was that Charlie??? Dad lived in Port Charlotte...now in Inverness.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
Will be watching the reports and praying for you and everyone else in its path!
Me, too! this one is just plain FRIGHTENING! I just hope all our prayers do their stuff!
Old 08-26-2011, 04:13 PM

prayers going out to all in the path of the Irene............stay safe,,,,,,,,
Old 08-26-2011, 04:29 PM

I am praying you, your family and neighbors get through this without any disruption in your lives. Please let us know, if you can, that you are alright.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by vondae
Also, make sure that your important papers such as house deeds, insurance papers ( house and medical), birth certificates, immunizations records, passports, etc. are in freezer ziplock bags and are close at hand. Have a contact person you can call and report into in case something should happen and you get seperated. Someone your whole family would know to call and report in to.Have a plan. You can never be TO prepared. Better prepared than to have tragedy hit and loose everything. Hugz and our prayers are with all who may be affected. Stay high and dry.
When they were expecting problems in Missouri with earthquakes and other weather related problems, we made up first aid kits and put the phone numbers of out of state relatives in there for everyone to check in with. It is more likely that they would be out of harm's way and able to relay messages to everyone.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:30 PM

Get a Pur or Brita filter pitcher and a bunch of extra filters. Be sure you have plenty of toilet paper and paper towels, as well as plastic cutlery and paper plates. Fill up some bleach bottles and detergent bottles with water (non-potable) to use to flush toilets, just in case the water pressure goes very low. I've been through this so many times here on the Gulf Coast, it's second nature. You're in my prayers. (You may have to release the plug on your garage door opener, so you can open it manually.)
And unplug all the appliances you're not using at the time.