Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
More items getting hard to find. >

More items getting hard to find.

More items getting hard to find.

Old 12-06-2020, 05:46 PM

things are very hit and miss regarding what's in short supply around here. After months of no sanitizer wipes other than a sole weird brand at most, I saw a almost full shelf of them at local Walmart! Almost bought one but didn't as I had picked up 3 at the start of pandemic and have some locally made hand sanitizer that I can make my own with too. I had to laugh about chicken wings! Happening here too. I tried to find a spiral cut ham for a friend's Dad's funeral since she was feeding her large extended family--this in Sept and we went to 5 groceries before I could find one--and then there were 2 and both somewhat small. 4 Days ago I picked up Hormel's, good size for $1.89lb at that same Walmart! My DH likes cornmeal mush and doesn't want to make his own and I've been to 3 stores and can't find it. A friend orders her rice on Amazon, said it name brand and while rather large amount it stores.
We had to replace washer and dryer in June--lucked out that what I wanted the local appliance store had ordered for a woman who then changed her mind--I did have to wait 2 weeks to get the dryer, but was told some of the washer parts coming from overseas and not making it here.
A friend that owns a LQS told me that Moda had sent out email that orders were backed up due to # of infections in the west coast docks and trucking.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:17 AM

Have no idea why, but it's real hard to find a box of cornbread stuffing. Turkey and chicken up the you-know-where, but cornbread, nope. Finally found a store brand one, so grabbed a couple.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:51 AM

For the last few week Kroger's shelves have been empty of canned diced green chilies. That seems really odd to me. Why green chilies? all the other Mexican items seem to be in stock. last time I was there they had maybe five cans left but they were the expensive ($1.79 for a four oz. can) The other brands are .69 cents.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:39 AM

For months, I've found it interesting to notice the fluctuating supply of canned meat products. My parents like the occasional can of hash, and I've noticed that roast beef hash will disappear first, and then some weeks later corned beef hash will disappear. Small cans of Spam disappear first, and then some weeks later the large cans disappear. For over a month there have been alternative Spam-like products - I don't think those Spam-like alternatives were in the store before the pandemic, but I'm not certain of that.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:54 AM

Getting major kitchen appliances has been a problem for a while. We ordered a KitchenAid refrigerator in February at Home Depot. They said delivery would take nearly 3 months to get. It's been nearly 4 months since the authorized KitchenAid service compnay in our area ordered a replacement pump for our dishwasher. We finally gave up on the dishwasher and bought a Bosch. Stores seem to have limited availability of major appliances. When we were looking for a dishwasher, a lot of models/brands were coming up as "unavailable." So now we can see what happens when so many of the products we buy are dependent on foreign imports.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:14 AM

My oven control panel blew up beginning of October. I called retailer where I had bought my appliances from (oven, refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher and freezer). They ordered the part and then sent repair man to look at and make sure that panel was the only problem. He disconnected the oven so I could at least use the stove top and said would be about 5 weeks for part to arrive. A week ago I called repair department to inquire on status of order and they called back saying that it is now pushed out to January. They are trying to find me the part but so far no luck. I have debated about getting a toaster oven but have decided it wasn't worth the cost so hubby gets no cookies, pies or anything else that needs baking. I thought about buying a new stove but since my other appliances are white I can't get that either.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:34 AM

If you want to see some interesting shortages, visit a sporting goods store.

DH and I planned on remodeling our Kitchen and we'll be replacing all the applainces. At least we have a second kitchen in the upper apartment (now my sewing studio) so we won't be without one during the process. We probably won't be starting on it until spring, but will have to make sure to order the appliances early on.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

It's not only the manufactures being behind, it the raw material needed to make the supply for the manufacturer and the parts needed to keep the plants running and the manufactures getting supplies to make parts needed to keep the plants running. Once the core of supply is hit, it will then become more demand then supply. An industrialist on tv said you know how the toy of the year is fought over for any price? well get ready to see the same thing in other items too for a long time.

Last edited by Onebyone; 12-07-2020 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:34 AM

If the items are coming from China, all the new tariffs are affecting availability. Also, China is keeping what it needs of essentials before export of goods (covid-prevention supplies) is allowed.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:56 AM

I live in Northern Indiana, the RV capital of the world. Almost all of the people I know work in the RV industry. And they are having trouble getting parts for the RVs. There are several lots of parked RVs with plastic taped over the windows. They can't get the windows, the A/C or appliances.