Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: more Mom sayings

"There is such word as can't; when you say it you mean you won't.

"If you think you can't, you can't. If you think you can, you can."

That one helped me do some things that I genuinely thought I couldn't do. And sometimes I found out I couldn't.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady View Post
    Pretty is as pretty does....my grannie convinced all of us (52 at last count) that we were beautiful with that saying.
    OMG! This was my mom's #1 saying to us girls! I thought it was an original. You aren't from Detroit are you and maybe related???

When we would have a cold, with runny nose and coughing, she would say "Oh, you got the mocus and the mollygrogs?"
    Sleep tight, don't let the bugs bite.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

My mom said" I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet."

Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
    1. Never try to teach a pig to sing, all you do is waste your time, and annoy the pig.
    2. Engage brain before starting mouth.
    3. This too shall pass.
    4. Be careful what you pray for, you might get it.
    5. Better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
    re: #3--i revised it (old nurse) at our house--"this too, shall pass: maybe like a kidney stone, but it will pass".

beauty is only skin deep; ugly goes clean to the bone.
    direct from mom: a woman needs to know how to take care of herself. even if prince charming comes along, he could fall off of that white horse and die.
    "life is a banquet, and most poor fools are out there, starving to death!"--"auntie mame"

Whenever my mother thought I was boasting, she would say "Do you want a medal or a chest to put it on?" (After the age of ten or so, I started replying that I wanted a chest to put it on. My smart-mouth remark paid off, to her chagrin.)
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

Blog Entries
    Whenever I ended a sentence with "at", mom would always say,," it's between the A and the T." My Dad always said, "You dance to the fiddler you pay for the dance."

Another one of my mom's favourites just before we were getting a spanking - this hurts me more than it hurts you - I was always like REALLY? Shall we reverse roles LOL

(and, yes, I really did deserve all those spankings!)

If you lie around with dogs you will get fleas.
    Tell me who your friends are and I will tell you where you will end up.
    Don't you hate that feeling when you know you are digging yourself into a hole? This was generally said when she doubted what my sister was telling her was true. My sis was a fabulous fabricator of tales to get us (my other sister and I) out of trouble. My mom would roll her eyes and tell her that.
    Lazy people work double hard.

MCH
    What I would tell my boys:
    Be careful about thinking the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. If you jump over the fence, you may land in that what makes it greener. Perhaps that fence is there for your benefit.

My grandma's response when I would say I couldn't wait to be a grown up:
    "Enjoy your time now. You will be grown up for a long, long time."

And the one from my son:
    "Would you like some cheese and crackers with that whine?"

Then, when an adult does something stupid..."only one letter away from 'adolt' "
    MCH aka PansyRose
    "Any day that you get see the morning, you've got work to do and a blessing to be."

Blog Entries
    Another one of my Mom's sayings that I am ***really*** feeling at the moment:
    "All my get-up-and-go got-up-and-left!"

I tell my grandkids that if they don't behave I will beat them with a wet noodle.
    My son I tell I am going to beat him round then square then back normal again.

dd
    I would tell my kids I was going to knock them into next week if they didn't behave. When our daughter would roll her eyes I would yell, honey get your screwdriver, her eyes are loose again. And if she would huff, I would ask if she was having trouble breathing and if I should call 911. Do you see a pattern? Didn't have as much trouble with our son.lol Great kids now. Told our daughter I was really sorry. Bible says you can give your kids nothing better than a good name. So sorry I didn't name you Iwanna Ineeda. Seemed that was all that ever came out of her mouth, I want and I need.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

It's not fair, neither is a black moustache ( in Scotland fair is used to describe light hair)

A task done only half way will become doubles as you have to do it over , correctly the second time.
    My little sister was taught this :: If a task is once begun, never leave it till it's done. Be the labor great or small, do it well or not at all.

My father always believed:Give a fool enough rope to hang himself and he eventually will.

pal
    My Dad would never let us get away with being afraid to do something. He told us that "It's only difficult the first time -"

He also asssured us that we could do anything that we truly want to do - just figure it out and then do it! I am so grateful for his words of wisdom. My children and grandchildren all follow Grandpa's ideals.
    Last edited by pal; 12-19-2014 at 08:51 AM.
    PACE - Positive Attitude Changes Everything

"All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Karma by any other name is still the same!

dd
    My father-in-law always said, don't lend anything you can't afford to give away. So true.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

The hurrier I go- the behinder I get! This is SO true- When I rush I drop things, trip over my own feet, etc.

My favorite from my Mom:

You're seldom right, but this time you're wrong.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3