More than one way -

Old 07-14-2019, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

Default More than one way -

This board is so useful for learning about different ways to accomplish something.

I have learned so much over the years!

Thank you.

Some of the first ways I learned "how to" have stood the test of time -

Some of "how I was taught" - has been modified -

How about you?
Old 07-14-2019, 08:58 AM

The people who have come together here have taught me "how to sew a quilt". It began with a neighbour taking me through the steps of my first quilt but my skills have developed because of people here. I have been challenged by participating in Round Robins, inspired by looking at what others have made, and helped by countless. Let me echo thanks to everyone who takes the time to answer questions, show samples and share their love of quilting.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:30 AM

I have learned sooo much from people here. I also learned from watching quilting shows on TV. And I have learned from demos given by our club members. I'm willing to learn anything and then decide if that is a better way than what I have been doing. Sometimes it is not.
Anything that I learn, that I like, I am willing to teach to others.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:28 AM

I agree. There are many ways to accomplish the same thing. When I show someone how to do something, I always tell them this is the way I do it. There are other ways that they may find work better for themselves. At least they have the knowledge of how to get the results they want. Then they can try other methods to see which way they prefer. I am always willing to try newer ways. You just never know what works if you don’t try all options available. Thanks to all here that are willing to share their ways.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

I have learned many useful tips and tricks from posters here. I love reading about new quilting tools and notions from those that have used them.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:31 AM

I have been quilting for about 25 years. I have taken many classes, and one of my favorite teachers used to tell us that there are many ways and techniques to make quilts. She suggested that we try all of them, because some of them work better for some people, and some of them don't. So I took her advice, and found out that it was true. I have learned many techniques, and many ways of doing them, and sometimes the new way works best, and sometimes it doesn't for me.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:29 AM

I agree completely! I have been quilting for years and I am willing to try anything once to see it I like it better than my own methods.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:04 AM

I've been quilting some 40 years now, started before rotary cutters, and try to keep up with things and try new techniques. It's amazing how many tricks this old dog can still learn.

For the last 6 months or so, I've tried not folding and ironing my binding first. It's fine and easy to work with, but in terms of storage because I may make the bindings some time before I actually quilt down the quilt, I prefer to store it as folded and pressed because it looks neater to me

In another thread people were talking about the non-stick rulers. Years ago I tried different types of rulers and decided that I liked the two-sided slickness of a standard ruler. But I found a gridded Quilters Rule at a thrift store and decided to check it out again. This time I love that thing. It's my go-to 6.5x24" ruler now.

I learn other things and techniques too, but the big thing I get from this board is the inspiration. So many people doing so many wonderful things. People who specialize in all sorts of things, even if I'm never ever going to do that -- I love seeing it. I just love the creativity and different viewpoints.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:31 PM

Aside from learning new things (quilting and non-quilting related), the thing I enjoy most about QB is the compassion and comradery that exists between the members. I have made good friends here. Some of whom I have met, others I wish I could meet. This is a great community of caring people!