Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
More time - why don't we seem to have it? >

More time - why don't we seem to have it?

More time - why don't we seem to have it?

Old 09-04-2017, 05:26 AM

When you thing back to the old days, you did the wash on Mon., and it didn't take all day. You put the clean fresh aired sheets back on the bed. The ironing was for good shirts and dresses. The dishes were washed as soon as you finished the meal. My grandparents owned a business, and they both worked there at different times because of me. My grandma made a lot of my clothes because she liked to sew. She could look at a dress, and make it without a pattern. Her wringer machine needed a new motor, and grandpa told her to get an automatic. She came home with a wringer. She said she didn't want to be running to the basement every 30 min. to get another load done. It seems like we did have more time back then with neighbors and family. My DH and I see couples out, and they are sitting there texting, and not talking to each other. We think they are texting each other. LOL
Old 09-04-2017, 05:37 AM

You have brought up a good subject as I have thought about this too. I seem to always be busy and it's work related. My DH agrees, we work all the time. I have decided to get rid of excess things. It's not easy but I know what I like to do and right now, I'm not doing enough of it. We notice how difficult it is to go out with friends as they are too tired. America is a land of excess, a land of HGTV.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:11 AM

I think about when my parents bought our first home, and it seemed pretty simple. I don't recall my parents ever weighing out and worrying about refinancing, credit cards, interest rates, etc. It feels like we have too much to think about these days, and I don't think it's all good.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:20 AM

I spend way too much time on quilting board and facebook.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

When we moved here, we had a lot of time because we weren't established in the community. We did tourist-y things and figured out where our community would come from. We joined a Y for the gym and I've made some friends. He likes to be alone to exercise. The local quilt shop is 2 miles from here and when I went in I was welcomed with open arms and there is a UFO group that meets on Fridays and I've made some nice friends there. Some of them are in a once a month group somewhere else and I was invited to that, so I go there. Mr. Stitchnripper and I have smart phones but we aren't those that you see out with faces in the phones. We do talk to each other. This house is bigger than the last one so it would seem that it would take more work, but, we pared down our possessions and it really is easier to keep up. I now have 3 Instant Pots so cooking is easier and takes less time. Cleanup is easier too, but Mr. does that. I have enough time for what I want to do. I'm as busy as I want to be. All those descriptions of ladies from a bygone era - my mother laid on the couch most of the time. We think she had clinical depression. So, none of all that activity occurred in our house while I was growing up. I learned to do a lot by necessity. I do spend a little time on the computer - we watch TV together in the evenings after we eat. I don't like to sew after dark, even with the many lights in my quilting room. Once the sun goes down, I'm done!
Old 09-04-2017, 03:09 PM
Power Poster

Times change and it's not ever going to be the same again as what anyone remembers as being the good ole days.

Cherish your memories because no matter how much you tell your grands they will never know how it was to live in your childhood time. Only you will know that.

Last edited by Onebyone; 09-04-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:19 PM

As an Empty Nester, I watch the adorable neighbor girl go to: piano lessons, soccer, softball, swim lessons, and more besides. Children are heavily scheduled and parents do it.
i don't know a thing about Facebook except we have some family members who spend way too much time on it. I do use and appreciate texting, as I can message people at my convenience and they can read it at theirs.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:10 AM

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Lots of kids have all of these activities. I only remember Girl Scouts when I was a young girl and then band until High School with different clubs. My brother had Boy Scouts and Little League (this was before girls played in leagues except for school sports).
TV and technology are great time wasters even though I indulge in both, daily.
Some of the young people I used to work with are really into Cross-fit and go often to work out and spend a lot of time planning their food intake as well. Not that there is anything wrong with that but that also uses up time.
Does anyone remember when computers became more of a part of our lives and 'everyone' said that they would save so much time? I'm thinking of cash registers in particular. Sometimes, if the computer is slow, the transaction takes so much more time than the old fashion way of doing it.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:34 AM
Power Poster

I have a love-hate relationship with Facebook. I love keeping up with my family all over the country (and two overseas) but the rest of it drives me crazy. People post way too much for my taste. I'm very selective about my activity there. And with all the political unrest, well, I'm outta there for now!!
Old 09-08-2017, 11:47 AM

I have always wondered how certain people had more time than I did...then realized for twenty-five years I worked two and sometimes three (full and part-time) jobs at a time. Did this because my husband had to retire due to a disability at age 54, so he was collecting Social Security disability and not able to put any money away for retirement. I am now down to one part-time job during the school year and am having a hard time with the spare time I have as to making the best of day.