Movie prices

Old 05-17-2010, 06:24 AM

I just saw the Blind Side with Sandra Bullock last nite it was excellent highly recommend it, love netfliks they also have all the TV series that you may have missed. Also if you need to you can suspend your netflixs if you dont see anything good to watch and then reinstate it later.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:30 AM

If we get to the Mall before noon, the movies there cost $5.00. Big plus: they have 5 debit card friendly machines even I can operate. Put in your card, choose the movie, select the number of tickets and push "GO". Your tickets get printed & you go in. We saw Avatar (not 3D or IMAX, Still spectacular even though the story was old), Julie & Julia (LOVED it, esp. Streep), Its Complicated (Street again, yay!) and Blind Side. Then the weather got warm and now I am viewing my yard at weed height.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:07 AM

I think we the consumers are paying way too much to be entertained! Movies / cable TV. I would enjoy going out to a movie, but I feel the actors are overpaid. (via the movie itself or the advertising that raises my cost of goods). More people would go "if" the prices were lower, then they would get volume sales.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:08 AM

I think the next to last movie I went to was "ET" which we loved.

The last one I saw was about the second "Harry Potter".

Recently my sister and I bought AVATAR for about 16 dollars
at Target, and we loved it. Then we gave it to a niece who is
a single mother and can't afford such prices!!
Old 05-17-2010, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
That's why we do Netflix......we can make our own popcorn, our own drinks, and candy if we want, and sit back in our jammies!!!! Seriously, though, the prices are outrageous!
and we can pause to pee or get the kids to quit fighting over popcorn without keeping others from enjoying it lol

besides... i cant handquilt or bind in the dark of a theatre while watching a movie lol
Old 05-17-2010, 12:27 PM

The only movies I have been to see at the theatre in the last few years are Lord of the Rings, Hairspray, and of course Harry Potter. Everything else I can wait until it comes out on DVD. The movie theatres have been complaining about how quickly the movie companies put the films out on DVD and feel that it cuts into their profits, which is probably why they have such high prices. Don't get me wrong, I like going to the theatre to see a new movie, but when it costs us at least $16.00 to see it once and a new DVD is around $19.00 and I can see it forever, or rent a movie for $5.00 for 5 days, which one do they think we would choose. Yes, blockbuster charges $5.00 for 5 days to rent a movie and $1.00 per day that it is overdue. Still not bad compared to the movies.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

Last movie we saw on the big screen was Avatar and it was worth it.

A colleague of mine just took his two children to an IMAX matinee - $23 and no popcorn yet. That's an expensive play date.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:39 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

First-run movies around here are $10 at the fancy movie theaters. We have a bargain theater that sells tickets for $5.50 including a small popcorn and drink.

DD and I saw "Leap Year", which was a sweet romantic comedy set in Ireland, and we both enjoyed it.

Before that... the gals at work here went out to see "Julie and Julia" because we love FOOD so much. Before that we'd gone out to see "The Devil Wears Prada" which was hilarious.

That's all...
Old 05-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

I don't go to the movies anymore. Just too expensive. I can rent them when they come out.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
Yeah - you are right! The language%$#@! - I am TIRED of it all! Another thing that is bugging me silly - is that whether it is in the movies, tv, or on the street, seeing BOOBS hanging out all over the place is pretty disgusting! Does it bother anyone else???
Oh yes it bothers me a lot. I get tired of nudity and foul language, another reason I don't watch much of what they call comedy now a days. I'm not paying to see that!! Movie prices are outrageous, but the popcorn and soda is over the moon expensive. I can sit at home and make my own so much cheaper and then I also don't have to have some one texting all through the movie.