Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Movie Recommends Needed (on DVD) >
  • Movie Recommends Needed (on DVD)

• Movie Recommends Needed (on DVD)

Old 02-19-2010, 10:04 PM

I can't believe no one has mentioned......

My Sister's Keeper (one of my all time favorites)

and others......

August Rush
    Steel Magnolias
    The Notebook
    I Am Sam
    I am Legend
    The Last of the Dogmen
    The Long, Hot Summer

I could go on and on!

Sheila
    Old 02-19-2010, 10:58 PM

Any of Miyazaki's animated films. Except maybe Princess Mononoke because there's a couple war battles and a few guys loose body parts---the violence is not really excessive, but thought I'd warn you in case you do watch it. Most his films are older (like 80's/90's), but they're kind of new to US audiences because Disney didn't acquire the dubbing rights until '96 and a lot of his older works came out roughly 4 years ago when his film "Howl's Moving Castle" was released. Except "Mononoke", all of his films are family films, but they're like Disney films where just about anyone can go and enjoy it. Miyazaki is known for having a lot of spirit and heart to his films that feels very real even though most his films are fantasy like.

I recommend any one of Miyazaki's or the other Studio Ghibli films, but here's what I reccomend specifically:

"Kiki's Delivery Service": Its about a young witch who turns 13 and leaves home for a year to train (according to tradition). She find a town by the ocean and befriends a baker who lets her stay in the guest room. Kiki doesn't have any skills except for flying (which is not good at the start) so she decides to open a delivery service (her first delivery being particulary funny). Its a lot about her finding herself and figuring out what she wants to do and the interesting people she meets along the way.

"Spirited Away": Chihiro and her parents are moving to a new town and her father ends up getting lost. They end up finding this old, abandoned amusement park and find one of the food shops is still running. Chihiro finds that the abandonned park and a nearby bathhouse is a resort where spirits go to replenish themselves. She ends up having to work for Yubaba, the owner of the bathhouse, in order to save her parents, who have turned into pigs because they ate the food meant for the spirits.

"Howl's Moving Castle": The story is pretty lengthy so I'll try be brief on this. Sophie runs a hat shop and she sees herself as ugly and plain. She runs into a mysterious, suave man and later that night a customer comes into her hat shop. The customer Sophie tries to throw out turns out the be The Witch of the Waste. The witch turns Sophie into a 90-year old woman. The spell restricts her from telling anyone she's under a spell (when she tries her mouth "zippers" shut). She goes out into the wastes to try to get the spell removed only to find the moving castle, which is run by a wizard named Howl who supposedly eats the hearts of pretty women, and she works there as a cleaning lady. ...if I tell anymore than that I'll ruin the whole story.

"Ponyo" (not out yet, but I think its out next month): Loosely based on the story "The Little Mermaid", its about this little fish child who goes to the surface and meets a young boy (hwo names her "Ponyo"). When she returns to the sea she uses her fathers magic to turn into a human girl. But because she's now both human and a magical creature, it upsets the balance of nature and the ocean becomes chaotic. I had the oppurtinity to see this one in theaters and it was absolutely stunning.
    Old 02-19-2010, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Panther Creek Quilting
    I can't believe no one has mentioned......

My Sister's Keeper (one of my all time favorites)
    It's because the thread started by asking for non-depressing movies. But it has evolved to sharing all kinds of good movies.

I read the book and would actually like to see this, mostly because I like some of the actors in it.

So many people have mentioned The Notebook, I may try that down the line as well.
    Old 02-19-2010, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
    Any of Miyazaki's animated films. Except maybe Princess Mononoke because there's a couple war battles and a few guys loose body parts---the violence is not really excessive, but thought I'd warn you in case you do watch it. Most his films are older (like 80's/90's), but they're kind of new to US audiences because Disney didn't acquire the dubbing rights until '96 and a lot of his older works came out roughly 4 years ago when his film "Howl's Moving Castle" was released. Except "Mononoke", all of his films are family films, but they're like Disney films where just about anyone can go and enjoy it. Miyazaki is known for having a lot of spirit and heart to his films that feels very real even though most his films are fantasy like.

I recommend any one of Miyazaki's or the other Studio Ghibli films, but here's what I reccomend specifically:

"Kiki's Delivery Service": Its about a young witch who turns 13 and leaves home for a year to train (according to tradition). She find a town by the ocean and befriends a baker who lets her stay in the guest room. Kiki doesn't have any skills except for flying (which is not good at the start) so she decides to open a delivery service (her first delivery being particulary funny). Its a lot about her finding herself and figuring out what she wants to do and the interesting people she meets along the way.

"Spirited Away": Chihiro and her parents are moving to a new town and her father ends up getting lost. They end up finding this old, abandoned amusement park and find one of the food shops is still running. Chihiro finds that the abandonned park and a nearby bathhouse is a resort where spirits go to replenish themselves. She ends up having to work for Yubaba, the owner of the bathhouse, in order to save her parents, who have turned into pigs because they ate the food meant for the spirits.

"Howl's Moving Castle": The story is pretty lengthy so I'll try be brief on this. Sophie runs a hat shop and she sees herself as ugly and plain. She runs into a mysterious, suave man and later that night a customer comes into her hat shop. The customer Sophie tries to throw out turns out the be The Witch of the Waste. The witch turns Sophie into a 90-year old woman. The spell restricts her from telling anyone she's under a spell (when she tries her mouth "zippers" shut). She goes out into the wastes to try to get the spell removed only to find the moving castle, which is run by a wizard named Howl who supposedly eats the hearts of pretty women, and she works there as a cleaning lady. ...if I tell anymore than that I'll ruin the whole story.

"Ponyo" (not out yet, but I think its out next month): Loosely based on the story "The Little Mermaid", its about this little fish child who goes to the surface and meets a young boy (hwo names her "Ponyo"). When she returns to the sea she uses her fathers magic to turn into a human girl. But because she's now both human and a magical creature, it upsets the balance of nature and the ocean becomes chaotic. I had the oppurtinity to see this one in theaters and it was absolutely stunning.
    Did you know that Howls Moving Castle is actually based on a book written by Diane Wynne Jones (british author) I have read the book which is awesome... I have not seen the movie yet! I recommend reading it first!
    Old 02-20-2010, 03:24 AM

I agree with many of the choices above
    The Notebook
    The Bucket List
    Chicago
    On Golden Pond
    Grumpy Old Men
    Grumpier Old Men

etc. I could go on an on.

However my favorite all-time comedy, romance movie is "Avanti" with Jack Lemmon and Juliet Mills. It came out in the 70's but it is worth watching.

From the very beginning you will find it funny!
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068240/
    Old 02-20-2010, 04:51 AM

I really enjoyed "Miss Potter" (2006) with Renee Zellweger, the story of author Beatrix Potter. It's a very gentle story.
    I love many of the movies mentioned above. I don't know if "Coal Miner's Daughter" was on the list. And I always enjoy Jane Austen adaptations. My all-time favorite is "Pride and Prejudice" with Colin Firth (1995), originally created by A&E, but the 2005 version with Keira Knightly is very good. Actually, I enjoy them all: "Emma," "Sense and Sensibility" (with Emma Thompson), etc. Masterpiece/PBS has done some recent remakes, "Emma" and "Northanger Abbey" were just on and they are rebroadcasting "Persuasian" on Sunday, Feb. 21.
    Old 02-20-2010, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by grammyp
    Bucket List
    Star Trek
    Seabiscuit
    Antwone Fisher

Stay away from Million Dollar Baby, I cried my eyes out.
    all of these are good
    Old 02-23-2010, 06:16 AM

I like : Sweet home alabama
    legally blonde 1 & 2
    all the doctor doolittle movies with eddie murphy
    shrek
    mrs doubtfire
    any air bud or air buddies movie
    also the pacifer
    any movie about football
    Old 02-23-2010, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by daisyboo9
    My all time favourite movie is Life is Beautifull...."La Vita Bella" it is an Italian movie that you can get in english. It is about the 2nd world war and the persecution of the jewish people, but from a different perspective...it is funny, and sad, and uplifting all at the same time.
    This is what I was going to suggest! Fantastic movie. Also, rent Amelie, it's wonderful!!!
    Old 02-23-2010, 08:54 PM

I've enjoyed reading about all the movies. I think I could be quite happy eating a Lou Malnati's deep dish pizza a week and watching either Mrs. Doubtfire or Rain Man. But there certainly have been a lot of great suggestions.