Movie Suggestions

Old 03-26-2020, 08:44 PM
Power Poster

We watched The Horse Whisperer tonight. I had forgotten what an awesome movie that is!
Old 03-27-2020, 02:08 AM

We just watched "Empire Falls" (2005) on Prime the last couple of nights. It stars Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, and Ed Harris. Quite good!
Old 03-27-2020, 04:14 AM

I recently discovered Wild Fire tv series(Amazon Prime) with Dennis Weaver.It was on tv back 2003-2005 until his death.If you love horses ,this one is awesome!
Old 03-27-2020, 11:05 AM

Sweet Land, a movie on Amazon Prime about a mail order bride coming to Minnesota in 1920. Olaf, the groom to be thought she was Norwegian but she turns out to be German and is not welcomed at first by the community. Based on the book, A Gravestone Made of Wheat.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

Janie, I loved Sweet Land. You're right, it's a good one!
Old 03-27-2020, 03:40 PM
Power Poster

We just saw Sweet Land a few weeks ago. Loved it!!
Old 03-27-2020, 10:00 PM
Power Poster

The Harry Potter series...
Anne of Green Gables
Old 03-28-2020, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

I know there are several Anne of Green Gables but after watching the Canadian version about a million times that's the one I watch. Nobody can be Marilla like Colleen Dewhurst. The whole cast is amazing.
I heard Anne with an E was good though. I'm going to check that one.
We watched The Secret LIfe of Bees last night- very good. I read the book about 10 years ago and loved it.

I've never read or seen Harry Potter, if you can believe it! Must try.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:32 AM

SusieQOH -- Go ahead and give Harry Potter a try! I know, sometimes it's hard to understand all the hype/or believe that something could live up to that much hype but they are good books/stories/characters and the movies are good too. Fans always going to quibble about things, but I think it's fun to recognize some of the minor characters in scenes where they are there but not otherwise mentioned. High production values. Great casting. It's the 20th anniversary (oh my goodness!) and they are on heavy rotation on cable right now but I prefer the commercial free options.

In the "fans are going to quibble" side of things, I loved the Lord of the Rings movies but was annoyed beyond belief of the amount of "creativity" that went into making the Hobbit into a multi-part movie.

I am behind a season or two of Game of Thrones so no spoilers please! But I was recommending the books long before the series and I love the casting of that.

I think one of the best book adaptations of all time is Gone with the Wind -- even though it left out that Scarlett had a child by every man she was married to! There are pros and cons and negatives to be said, but GWTW is still my choice for the Great American Novel.

Old 03-28-2020, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

The only reason I've never seen or read Harry Potter is because I'm not into that genre. I'm sure it's very good.
I don't "do" science fiction, fantasy, etc.
My kids loved Star Wars but I could never get into it, even though I sat there watching it. lol
I think my brain capacity is limited haha

IceBlossom- every single thing you mentioned is an example of something I've never seen or read, with the exception of Gone with the Wind. haha! That fantasy stuff just doesn't register!

Last edited by SusieQOH; 03-28-2020 at 06:14 AM.