Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Moving to Florida soon Need advice >

Moving to Florida soon Need advice

Moving to Florida soon Need advice

Old 09-12-2012, 06:35 AM

I lived in Central FL for over 50 years before moving to NC. There are several really nice areas near Orlando (Orange City, Sanford, Mt Dora) Stay out of Orlando proper. It's too expensive but you can find anything you need there. It's hot in the summer but all the other seasons are nice and we only had about 2 days of winter. If you can afford it, I would summer in the mountains and spend the rest of the year in FL. Good luck.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:02 AM

I live in the Florida Panhandle, about 50 miles from Dothan. If I could I would move a bit further North where the winters aren't too bad nor are the fire ants, yellow flies, dog flies and love bugs. Florida has no sales tax on food, where Alabama does, Dothan sales tax is 9%. There are good and bad no matter where we live and each state offers each. I would suggest spending a year in different places, see which you like the most, what they each offer that is of interest to you before really deciding on a permanet place. Good luck.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
First thing to do is get a map out and list some towns around locations where you might like to investigate, near larger cities( or smaller ones). Contact the towns chamber for commerce and they will be able to give you lots of information about their town. Schools, hospitals, jobs, public transportation, bicycle routes around the community, parks, etc.
Also go online to read the local newspapers for these will give you a better idea on crime rates. You can get real estate offices on line to help in your search for rentals as well as purchase prices.This was what I did before leaving Ohio and I was moved into my new home on my 3rd morning here.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:57 AM

Cool

Thank you so much everyone for the replies. Alien Quilter- thank heavens no more hot flashes!! And my daughters love the warm weather. I remember the mosquitoes....used to laugh and call them the state bird when I lived in AL. I did tell my youngest daughter about the bugs, she is ok with all but the spiders.
Wonderful idea about the Chambers, will send out notes today!! thanks
We are definitely thinking unincorporated or country, I don't know if I remember how to live in a town anymore.
Oh good!!! I love garage sales!! And we will be leaving most of our stuff behind so I get to go look for new!! How about the thrift shops?? Any good ones?
And AZ wont work, my daughters have been there and they hated it!! You think it is hot in FL, that is warm compared to AZ. I have been living in NM for almost 20 years now and we have "dry heat". And since we get to move we decided that we want to see water again. No water in AZ : ).
The humidity doesn't seem to bother me too much, it is the cold in the winter. I get stuck in the house for days at a time in the winter here.
As for storms and other natural disasters. Well you might get some there, here in NM winter happens every year. Most years there is some kind of blizzard storm, close the world down kinda thing. If not then like this year, no water and worry about fires! So no matter where you live it is going to be something, I just want to be able to see the beach once in a while
Old 09-12-2012, 08:38 AM

I have more info that may help. In my seargh for moving truck rentals-Penske-they have the best deals and they have larger trucks to choose from also the earlier you reserve a trk the better the price. get their brochure on HOW TO PACK its a really great tool.The really hard part of this kind of move is the sorting of all your possessions. Start NOW !!! Knowing the size of truck is very helpful in deciding what is and isn't necessary or can be replaced easily and cheaply at the other end.I used Closet boxes for linens and clothing these are 4ft tall an 2ftx2ft sqr. Try to keep your boxes in a uniform size to make stacking and packing the trk space work better.Also get yourself a yellow legal tablet and a couple rolls of packing tape. Label each box with its contents. Cover the list with tape to protect it from tearing.This makes the hunt for things needed first so much easier. Decide what you are going to sell as early as possible put these items on Ebay and Craigslist -yard sale everything else. The money I made paid for my truck and fuel and all my deposits and 1st months rent. Set yourself a daily goal on sorting each room Please do not over do.And when your tired take a break.Keep in mind this is a huge task and you have to pace yourself. You want to enjoy the experience as much as possible. I hope your new adventure is as wonderful and as joyous as mine has been.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:52 AM

Thank you stitchit123 I didn't know about saving if we reserved a truck. And we are so happy about this that we are packing already!! And I am throwing away, selling, giving away lots of stuff. Lucky for me I have two wonderful daughters that are very helpful and I don't have to do much of the hard stuff. And my oldest was so funny the other day when I mentioned that I should reduce my fabric stash, she told me no! I get to keep most of it, we will find room, if nothing else will pack the glass stuff in the fabric! I do need to get my notes together better so I know what goes where.
The good part of buying stuff from garage sales, thrift stores and such is there is less attachment to them, it is easier to let them go.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:36 AM

I have really enjoyed this post. My DH would love to relocate to an airpark in Florida. Our challenge, like someone else mentioned, is selling our place here. I am also going to look into Alabama and SC. We love the 4 seasons, but our bones aren't loving winter as much as they use to.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:14 AM

Take a look at central Florida. I live in On Top of the World, a retirement community of about 12,000, in Ocala. Not near the beach but in the center of horse country with lots of horse farms around the area. Ocala is about 60,000, 25% of them retirees, so the medical system is excellent. Three hospitals, lots of doctors. Plus, we're only 35 miles from Gainesville and the University of Florida. Weather is hot and humid in the summer but fall and winter are mostly sunny and dry. We actually do get frost every now and again in January but the temps are back up when the sun comes out. The closer to the beach you look the harder it will be to get insurance, especially if you buy a manufactured home. We currently have AAA insurance. OTOW is a beautiful place to live. 3 pools, 3 golf courses, lots of classes for the body and the mind. Also has 2 small shopping centers attached so you don't need a car. It's divided in sections, one where you purchase your home and lot, the others are on 99-year leases. All homes are concrete block, built to hurricane standards. Prices right now are very low, although the real estate market has started to improve. A house that was valued at $185,000 in 2006 just sold for $70,000. This is an 1,800 sq ft. house. If you are interested in renting, they have a rental division. Lease will be for 6 months which would give you lots of time to look around.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:45 PM

We are Snowbirds who live just out of Albuquerque and we spend 4 months of the Winter in Naples Florida. We too thought the winters in NM would be warm. We are in the East Mtns and get up to 3 feet of snow. Hopefully you will find someplace in Florida that you like. We love Naples.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cindy60545 View Post
I've lived in FL over 25 years, then married my DH & moved to TX, but still worked in FL til March of this year. (I drove an 18 wheeler, & So Florida was my regular route.) My favorite part is south central Florida. I really like the Winterhaven, Lake Wales, Lakeland area. You're close to everything. You're an hour away from either coast, good quilt shops, lots of shopping, but small town attitude. Rents are pretty decent, last I heard. Since I've retired, I miss some of the restaurants, my LQS & some of my quilting buddies! Thank goodness for the telephone & internet! I still get to communicate with them!
I live in Lakeland, FL and grew up in Bartow which is about 15 minutes south of Lakeland on US highway 98 Bartow is a small town and has lot of history . But as far as quilt stores and other crafts, nothing. Lakeland has JoAnns, Hancocks Fabrics, Micheals and Hobby Lobby.
But Cindy, Winter Haven is meant to be two words, not one. Winter Haven is not to far from Lakeland either.
But you do have to realize that FL is real vulnerable to Hurricanes. Lakeland was hit by 3 hurricanes in 2004, Charley, Francis, and Jeanne. We lost a 3 trunked 30 ft red cedar tree to one of the Hurricanes. We really miss it. It blocked the afternoon sun from heating up the front of the house, our bedroom is up front., I had a chance to move somewhere else when we got married and I came home to Polk County . Fl is my home and I will not live any where else. I spent time in Pensacola, and I have spent time in California which I actually couldn't wait to leave.