Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My 34 Year Old Daughter Who is a Nurse

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I used to kiss my children's forehead and I kiss my husband's forehead. Our family has a history of pyloric stenosis. It usually occurs in first and last-born children (male or female). Also can happen in middle child. First symptoms are right after feeding (breast or bottle (mother's milk or formula, soy,doesn't matter) and the child is usually newborn- 6 weeks old. Right after feeding when you get ready to burp and the child literally spits up liken to vomiting like a projectile force. If this happens get the infant to the physician or ER immediately. The valve between the stomach and intestine (how I can only describe) tends to swell shut. The formula/milk has no where else to go but back the way it came out. This can lead to starvation. My nephew had this when he was born and his newborn son had it. My nephew was made aware of this situation as soon as he and his wife found out their son was his way. Some parents will let this go on almost till the next dr. visit. By that time the baby can be in the starvation mode stage 4 (nearly dead) and sadly CPS is called in. My nephew took his son to the ER in the middle of the night 3 days after they were home from the hospital. He was told it was just a little bit of spit up. He told them where to go, went out the door and to the next hospital where low and behold the ER dr. happened to be the dr. who delivered him and new what he was talking about. That same dr. was also my dr. many years ago and diagnosed my youngest son. My nephew little one had surgery the next day and he is thriving. He is a beautiful little 5 month old. So go with your gut instincts.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Also be aware of your family history. It can save your life.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wintersewer View Post
    This makes my blood boil!! Who do those doctor's think they are....GOD???? And how many weak women caved??? What did they have to say when she was born without the problem???

The Drs. said I was just lucky. I remember ordering one out of my room but then was given a sedative to calm the crazy woman. I was breast feeding and got even more irate about the meds they were saying I had to have. DH was in the military and not home until after the birth. No family was with me. I despised those Drs. to their dying day. And they are all dead now.
    Got fabric?

I used to kiss the kids on their forehead, and if it felt too warm, I would check with a thermometer. We have come a long way, haven't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersewer View Post
    Who do those doctor's think they are....GOD???? And how many weak women caved???
    Doctors don't know everything. I had a leading gyn tell me, before examining me, that I had cancer because I was in my late 50's and bleeding nonstop. I knew I didn't (had it previously and knew how it felt). I asked him to do the tests and he did, and it was improperly cycling hormones, not cancer. He never apologized or acknowledged his error, and I lost a lot of respect for him. Can you imagine if I had not known my own body well, how worried I would have been? What would that do to someone else hearing that, before even being examined?

I think we tend to lift physicians up to God-like status when they are only humans with a lot of education under their belt. All that schooling does not automatically mean they are an expert or even good at their job. I prefer a physician who is an O.D. and looks at my body as a whole. Most O.D.s I have had are very accepting of alternative medicine in combination with traditional medicine and they listen to MY intuition with regard to my body. Let's face it, we are with our bodies 24/7 and are really the only ones who can feel when something is off. Absolutely hate when a Doctor tries to tell me that I am fine and just "imagining" things. I ended up getting anxiety attacks after a thyroidectomy...only to have a Dr. tell me that I could not possibly have anxieties because I had no more thyroid...and I needed to be on Anti-Depressants. First and last time I ever listened to a physician against my own instincts.

My doctor has me check my cheek to the back of my hand. They are about the same when you are well. So it is a pretty good indicator if you feel your face is much hotter that you have a temp.
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    I always kissed my son's forehead to check for a fever. If it was hot, he had a fever. I did same with husband. Lips are very sensitive to heat. I am not a doctor or a nurse, but I always knew when either one had a fever. I gave them a couple of aspirin to bring the fever down. And if the fever was gone for 48 hours, the son went back to school and the husband went to work. But I made them stay home for the 48 hours. A little common sense works a long way. They got better and most important, they didn't pass the darn germ around. And a little babying never hurt anyone. A malted milk works wonders!!! Me? I wasn't allowed to get sick, much less have a fever!!!! We are the Omnipotent ones!!!! Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

In 1963, my doctor told me I needed a hysterectomy because of fibroids. I thought he needed a new BMW. I still haven't had the surgery, so I guess it wasn't really necessary. I have, however, had two more children - and they have provided me with 10 grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GABBYABBY View Post
    I wonder what the doctors would rely on now if all the electric was off and no way to get it back on?
    We all would be in so much trouble!!
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

Quote Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
    Now,folks...let's not say too many bad things about doctors. I happen to be one...and I am also a nut- case quilter. Being a physician is a very scary responsibility( can't just frog a seam,if work doesn't go we'll,you know). In my experience,most docs try to do their thing as well as they are able,but you do recall what they call the folks that graduate last in the med school class?( Doctor). Docs are very human; we aren't perfect,we do the best we can with hard problems to fix,too little sleep,much time away from our families etc etc. being a quilter helps me at work...I am known for my fine stitching on facial boo boos! Francie
    For the most part I have found my doctors to be supportive and understanding. I have hypothyroidism and have found male endocrinologists to be condescending, like I brought this on myself. They don't believe me when I talk about symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    OMG. I remember the doctor coming to the house when my sister and I had a fever, and he gave us shots. House calls have gone the way of the dinosaur. (Now I feel like the dinosaur!)
    I remember house calls too...oh how mom would go into a cleaning fit before that dr. arrived.
    I to this day use my hands to determine fever. but not on the forehead, always feel the chest and back. Some tools never get old : )

Blog Entries
    At a Dr. visit a few years ago I was telling him about how my joints
    hurt so bad some days that going up and down 3 flights of stairs
    (we live on the 3rd floor no elevator).

So he ran blood work than proceeded to tell me the blood work
    did not show any indication of arthritis.

I told the blood work may not say there is arthritis, but it can't tell
    where I am hurting.

Just made me so made, guess the Dr thought because I was only
    in my 40's that I can't have pain in my joints.

I started taking glucosamine tablets everyday it has helped some
    but still have really bad days where the thought of navigating those
    stairs makes me think twice if I really need to go anywhere.

When my daughter was young (she is 31 now) we lived in the country
    our family Dr was an old time country Dr who kept up to date on all the
    newest medical practices he could. To walk into his office which was in
    the basement of his house you would think you stepping back in time
    to the 1940's but his two "back" rooms was filled up with some of the
    newest technology of the 80's.

He treated my daughter for croup via telephone so that we did not
    have to take her out, told us exactly what to do to help her.

Sure miss old man Cutchin's
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

As a nurse (RN) myself, I fully appreciate the new technology but as a mom my best thermometer was putting my hands on my kids faces to know when they had a fever. Even with patients in the hosp. I could see the flushed face or just felt their skin to know when their temps. were up.

The eyes are a great tool, too. You can see a difference in their eyes to know something is wrong.

Yes, I worked with doctors occas. whose opinion I had no faith in at all. Thankfully they were rare. With nost doctors, I really appreciated their extensive education.

Pat G

My DH had hip surgery and was not feeling prime to begin with, but then he started to look pale, weaken, and cough. He had low grade 99.0 - 100.0 fever, coughing up "stuff" that was an off color. I listened to his lungs and they sounded raspy and wet. I took my DH to the doctor immediately! He had pneumonia. I am glad that I was able to assess him and know something was wrong. My daughter with no training, came to the house as we were leaving and said "Mom, Dad sounds and looks bad" do you think he might have pneumonia? LOL.

My other thing to say is that many times we think that since we are not "doctors" we don't know what is happening to our family. Use your common sense and you will be surprised at how often you know in your heart and in your gut what is happening.

Power Poster
    So glad you listened to your body and your heart. It's your body, your baby and when it comes to your body your doctor should at least listen to you. I too used the check the forehead, my husband feels the arm. Whatever works.

Back in 1980, I lost two babies. One at 5 1/2 months into my pregnancy at the beginning of the year and one at 6 1/2 months at the end of the year. The problem was an incontinent cervix. Although they say it is not inherited, my Mother lost 4 out of 8, I lost 3 out of 6, my sister lost 2 out of 3. 15 years ago, my daughter spent 62 days in the hospital before her daughter was born 5 weeks early. Now, my granddaughter has been on complete bed rest for the past 14 weeks. They stitched her cervix up to keep her from losing the baby and they are going to cut the sutures on April 24th and say the baby will be born right away. That is how much medicine has progressed since 1980 and that is only 33 years. A lot has changed.

Always used the cheek to forehead test. Also, I could tell because most of my kids' {5 of them} ears turned beet red when they had a fever.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    Thinking back to when I had my kids in the 70's compared to now. The hospital was archaic! My second born was thought to have a major problem that x rays showed. Bad bad problem. Ultrasound was brand new and only one hospital in the state had the machine. I had to travel there to get the ultrasound. It showed the baby was okay! But the old Drs. said they didn't believe in ultrasound and prepared me for the worst. Two wanted me to not have the child!! My DD was born healthy and I went through mental agony for four months and fighting the Drs and being told I was foolish, selfish, and ignorant, for believing in ultrasound when the x rays showed the problem.
    Some (many Dr's. do not take change well. Many years ago when a Dr. said they needed to wash hands between women having babies or the hands would carry germs that would kill next patiens/babies.) Medical profession ran him out. In 75 when preg with my son I had a sonogram to see how far along he was, but medicine and practiers are not always willing to change from the tried and true. Hopefully that is changing today.

Still, it is better that the DR was wrong about the cancer. I know what you mean about some DRs and their arrogance...we've all experienced it.

Unfortunately, health insurance costs have been going up enormously for the last 20+ years. That's not really the governments fault. It's the profit factor in health insurance. Before Reagan pushed for and got for profit health insurers, the insurance was far more stable in price than it is now. Insurers want to impress investors, so costs rise and claims or requests for certification of certain health procedures are denied.

I know that is a very simplistic view of the issue, and that there are many other factors - such as an aging population that lives longer and, unfortunately, sicker. I, too, have a high deductible policy and the out of pocket costs rise each year. But, as I said, that's been going on for 20+ years.

Costs for medical school are ridiculously high, and it takes a long time to pay off the loans.

I graduated with my Nursing education in 1962. We had no disposibales for anything, no RT department, no PT department, no ICU's, We did have a new born nursery with incubaters. The metal ones with the glass top. Most of the patients were in 4,5 or 8+ bed wards. Very few semi-private rooms and a couple of private rooms. And this was a MODERN Hospital at the time. Things have changed since then and some for the better and others, will you deside. I just went through 4 months of ortho. surgeries and pneumonia a couple of times and was in the hospital and want to know what has happened to the help with daily baths, but really missed the back rubs. When did we stop doing these?
    Grandmeto6 aka Judy

I would assume that the training that asked doctors to recognize symptoms of pneumonia without x-rays was just to get them to pay attention to the symptoms and not rely only on x-rays because sometimes the x-rays can be misleading or misinterpreted. I have a friend who was actually told a few years ago that she had lung cancer based on x-rays, and that turned out to be completely wrong!
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

When my kids were young, I could feel their back and tell their tempature within .2 degrees plus or minus.......they thought it was amazing, I thought most all moms could do it (and a LOT of dads!)

Blog Entries
    I used my lips on their forehead. Second daughter was born with upper respiratory problems. Her temp. would spike very fast (normal - 104 degrees) in half an hour. If her feet got hot it was off to the doctor. She grew out of it before starting school, thank goodness.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast