My Christmas Tradition

Old 12-08-2010, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Corry, what a beautiful post! Oh my gosh, I hardly know what to say. I am sooooo glad you found some way to help the grief and sadness of losing your loved ones.
I have photo ornaments of many of our beloved pets who are gone and it makes us happy to see the little faces each year. They brought us so much joy.
Thanks Sue, there are alot of people that have a hard time enjoying the holidays because grief is more intense during this time. Grief often robs us of our good memories if we let it but it is really hard to find our way beyond the grief during the holidays. My Dad would not have wanted that as he loved Christmas so I have always hung onto that thought...it has helped. I enjoy Christmas again and include his memory with a new ornament. Something to do with music as he was a musician. That was why I bought the trumpet.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:55 AM

What a wonderful tradition Corry. I thank you for posting it here & for giving us permission to share it. I have sent it to my friends who lost their son a few months ago & to my dear friend who lost her husband too.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:40 PM

What a fantastic tradition and thanks so much for sharing. I'm sure that it will help at least one person at this rough time of year, even if I know of nobody right now, who's to say that I won't know someone next year, so I'm keeping your post on my computer. Thanks for helping someone make it through the holidays.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:46 PM

This is just so thoughful and is so simple. Instead of focussing on the grief, you are really saying thank-you for their life and the joy they brought to you and your family. What a wonderful way to acknowlege them although they aren't physically present this year. I'm sure that this idea will help many people. Blessings to you and yours and thanks for sharing.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:26 PM

polar bears are our reminder of my dear neice who died 4 years ago. bought everyone a polar bear ornament the first thanksgining she was not with us. I even search fr polar bear wrapping paper to wrap gifts for the kids. In addition we have an angel candle holder which we light every year in memory of our loved ones and we always remark how they fill our hearts with love forever. :cry:
Old 12-08-2010, 04:39 PM

As I've said before, my Dad died on Christmas morning. I have two blown glass feathers from my folks 'angel wings' that hang on my tree every year!! I have many things from their home in my home..I sleep in their bed! I have coffee everyday at their kitchen table. I speak to them on a regular basis..no, they don't speak back, but I feel their spirit in my life. They left me well prepared and strong. Of course, I miss them, shed my tears when I need to, and then pick myself up and go on as I know they expect me to.

Hugs to everyone struggling with grief. Its not easy.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:46 PM

Thank you so much for posting this. A year ago today we lost our dear Grandson in a terrible accident during a blizzard. Last year Christmas was almost impossible to bear. This year is a little better, but this being the anniversary of his death and with Christmas coming I find the tears flowing again. He left 4 small children. I try to focus on the children. Adam, the GS that passed away, lived with us for 6 years when his mother and Dad divorced. He gave me a snow man and a snowman basket to keep my Christmas Cards in and even though it made me sad to think of Adam, it made me smile to think how pleased he was when he gave me the snowmen. Thank you again. I will buy an ornament in his honor.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:59 AM

What a nice tradition and tribute to those you love. I started one last Christmas in honor of my stepson. He lost his battle with depression in the spring of last year at the tender age of 19. Where I work we help sponsor the Christmas tree stars you sometimes see in the mall (for children that would otherwise not get Christmas gifts). My stepson loved to skateboard so the money I would have spent on him I spent on 2 boy Christmas tree stars. The boys had both asked for skateboards. The lady that does the stars was excited that we would take 2 since most people don't want to spend as much as a skateboard can cost. This year I couldn't find any stars w/skateboard requests so I asked and they located 4 for me. I took 2 and a co-worker took 2. In addition to the boards I got them helmets this year. My stepson was very giving and it makes me feel closer to him to give something to someone in his honor.

Diannia
Old 12-09-2010, 02:10 PM

Diannia...This is just precious what you are doing! You have the idea of what I am saying with my tradition. You take that grief and do something positive with it in honor or memory of that special loved one that has passed away and it brings that person close to you during the holiday istead of feeling like they are lost to you. I don't send out my Christmas Tradition every year and don't know what it is that makes me decide this is the year to do it but I really hope that there is someone out there that has lost that spark of the holiday spirit that can find it once again from reading my letter and by you and others sharing your stories as well. My hubby and I are having a tough time this year so I can't buy any presents for the kids or grands but I feel there are things I can do to give them a great Christmas! Wonderful memories that you can't buy. I bring my grand daughter over during the holiday weekends and we decorate and bake cookies and she really looks forward to this each year. She will remember that much longer than some toy I could have bought her. I plan to teach her to sew and quilt this Christmas break too. Anyway, I hope that I may have given someone the gift of finding their Christmas spirit again with my letter. Merry Christmas to you all.