Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My dog chewed my power cord!! >

My dog chewed my power cord!!

My dog chewed my power cord!!

Old 09-17-2013, 11:45 AM

Hilarious! My GF's dog ate her bobbin casing. She took it out to clean, got a phone call, came back, no bobbin casing!

You got away cheap, mine just ate my bridge. $600 later--because the dentist felt bad for me--I have a new one. Accidentally knocked it onto the floor, could not find it, must have bounced and gone under something. He must have found it. That night I came home from work and it was laying on my pillow....in three pieces!
Old 09-17-2013, 04:11 PM

I'd be willing to bet you won't have that problem with him again. Once is usually enough
Old 09-17-2013, 06:05 PM

I was always told that dogs can't stand pepper sauce or hot peppers. My dog loved it and almost gnawed the leg off a table.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:52 PM

I feel for you! My cat recently chewed through the power cord for my laptop. Luckily, I was able to replace it, but it was not a fun way to spend the price of a dinner for two at our favorite restaurant. I think it must have been unplugged when she got to it because there was never any evidence of harm to the cat. I keep the new one in a closet when I'm not with it. The same cat has nipped through a phone cord for the land line next to our bed, and it was like that for an unknown period of time before we noticed because it was behind a nightstand, and we don't use that phone often. It's the one we would reach for in a nighttime emergency, however. For that one, I sewed a long sleeve to cover the new cord, and so far she has left it alone. It's no guarantee, but might slow a pet down a little, or maybe it would be more attractive to some. Bitter Break would probably be more effective with a dog, although some dogs don't seem to mind it. Good luck. I hope your pooch learned a lesson and also hope his mouth isn't burned.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:52 AM

Think I lucked out.. Socrates has never chewed on anything that wasn't his.. He walks around the house with his toys in his mouth.. I did babysit a dog who got into the laundry basket, and chewed on my underwear.. Ughhhh
Old 09-18-2013, 04:07 AM

I love the idea of a cord cover!! I don't know if I'll do it, but it's very unique and camouflaging the plastic might help. Yes, Odin definitely learned his lesson. When I walk near him with the cord in hand, he goes into hiding.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by barri1 View Post
Think I lucked out.. Socrates has never chewed on anything that wasn't his.. He walks around the house with his toys in his mouth.. I did babysit a dog who got into the laundry basket, and chewed on my underwear.. Ughhhh
We had a puppy who would chew on dirty underwear. She would steal them from the laundry pile and we would find them under furniture or behind furniture when vacuuming. Gross, I know.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:18 AM
Power Poster

I didn't have a problem with my cats chewing on cords, but one of them was notorious for chewing on the threads of the sewing machines.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:17 PM

Anti perspurant in spray can works wonders for dogs chewing. Spray it go on whatever and when dog puts it in his mouth, it is like powdered alum and makes mouth VERY dry and stops the chewing. Friend who is a dog trainer turned me on to this, and as we raise dogs I can tell you it works and stops the chewing, even if you have to spray daily until they learn it is worth a can.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Power Poster

Next time go to home store and get pvc pipe. You can get it long enough and will be difficult to chew through.