Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My dog chewed my power cord!! >

My dog chewed my power cord!!

My dog chewed my power cord!!

Old 09-16-2013, 05:39 AM

Default My dog chewed my power cord!!

I am in the middle of FMQ a quilt that was made as a wedding gift (we are coming up on the one-year anniversary) and this happened. Last night while the dog lay under my computer chair, he started yelping like crazy. At first I thought maybe he got a nail snagged on the carpet and consoled him, but he was shaking a little more than you would think because of that. On further investigation, I found he had chewed the end of my Viking power cord that goes into the machine (which was still plugged into the wall and I had disconnected from the machine so you could walk and not trip over the cord) and he must have gotten shocked!! I felt bad for him of course and then I looked at the end of the cord. I think it's a total loss, but I was relieved to find a replacement at a reasonable cost, so I guess I'll be ordering that at some point today, as I can't continue on the quilt without this machine. It's the only one I have that has the darning foot for to do the FMQuilting. (sigh) Life is never boring around here with 1 dog and 2 cats! lol
Old 09-16-2013, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

​Bad dog! You can get wraps for combining your computer cords together. You might want to look into them for your new cord in case he decides to chew again.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:57 AM

Let's hope the dog learned his lesson and won't go near another cord again. Mine chose a completed quilt block as his chew toy. Bad dog is now confined to his kennel when I'm not home and labeled "Bad Dog" whenever he goes near quilting fabric. Good luck!
Old 09-16-2013, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

Glad you were able to replace your cord and that your dog is ok.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

and there should be something out there that you can put on the cord covers that taste awful. that should prevent future chewing there.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:25 PM

You can spray apple bitters on any thing the dog chews on, they will never chew it again.
The pet stores carry it.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:31 AM

My best friends Springer pup chewed through my foot pedal cord. It didn't hurt the pup at all, but my sewing machine suddenly stopped. She had some electrical tape, so I taped it together and it worked fine. About 10 minutes later the pup did it again. I taped it together again and it still worked. My friend was mortified and wanted to replace my foot pedal but I wouldn't let her. Every time I sew with that machine (it's now 4 years later) I have fond memories of camping trip that we were on, and that very cute little Springer pup.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:20 AM

I have problems with my cats chewing of cords. Had to replace my foot for my sewing machine. I now try to remember to pick it up when I am done sewing.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:39 AM

Yes, usually the cord is attached to my machine, but since I was concerned about tripping over the cord and because it was plugged in a hard-to-reach area to unplug, I took the easy route and unplugged it from the machine. Hubby looked at it and said it could still be used, but I don't trust it myself, so a new one is on the way. I have definitely learned my lesson and will unplug from the wall from now on, no matter. He has not really chewed on things to be destructive per se, as he has a lot of bones, but if it is a piece of plastic that fell on the floor or tiny stones brought in on shoes, he finds it and chews. I guess the cord just looked too tempting laying beside where he was lounging at that moment. Funny, though my cats will not chew on anything.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:52 AM

OM goodness........Baaaaaaaad Dog! Hope he learned his lesson, but just in case, unplugging does sound like the right thing.

My cat doesn't chew on cords either, however if he isn't getting enough attention he will try to bat my pincushion around in front of me so I "have" to pick him up.