Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My dog has dandruff!!

My dog has dandruff!!

We have a golden retriever who is 9 years old, in the house mostly, eats dry dog food and he has dandruff. Big flakey dandruff. He has had dandruff ever since we brought him home as a pup. I had asked the vet about it and he said it seems to bother me more than the dog so we shouldn't worry so much about it. Another vet in the practice recommended some kind of oil put in his food, every day a tablespoon at a time. I forget what kind it is!! The last bottle went bad and was thrown out. A tablespoon at a time lasts a l o n g time. Any suggestions from the Board?

We need our daily oils to stay healthy ... so does your dog.
    Why not ask your vet again ... perhaps one of your oils in your kitchen could be shared?
    Be sure whatever you choose, is "dog-safe"!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Blog Entries
    Check this site:

http://www.dog-dandruff.com/

I agree with QuiltE, both the Omega-3s and flaxseed oil are very healthy for you too. That way the oil would not go bad.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Blog Entries
    my little dogs had dandruff I put Olive oil on their kibbles every other day and no more dandruff

Blog Entries
    I add olive oil to my dogs wet food in the evening during the cold winter months when the air is drier. Sometimes I put extra water in it to make sure he gets extra fluid. I've heard olive oil isn't the best, that fish oil is better, but I use what I have and he loves it and it really does help.

Blog Entries
    We, too, had a dog with the telltale dandruff that was embarassing to me. The olive oil on the dog food did the trick. WW says we should have 2 Tbs. per day of healthy oil, why not the dog?

Quote Originally Posted by polly13 View Post
    We, too, had a dog with the telltale dandruff that was embarassing to me. The olive oil on the dog food did the trick. WW says we should have 2 Tbs. per day of healthy oil, why not the dog?
    I believe WW says 2 teaspoons, not tablespoons per day!

Blog Entries
    If the oil doesn't help the dandruff, it could be allergies or a fungus (dandruff is a yeast). My vet said to try dandruff shampoo and oil on my black lab, and if that didn't work to give him Benadryl.

My poodle has skin allergies and gets something the vet calls "cradle cap". I used antibiotics to clear any infection and then she advised benadryl. Since then, the allergies are MUCH better and her cradle cap is gone. Good luck.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Our dog had dry skin too and we put him on flaxseed oil and it helped with the dryness and gave him a beautiful coat.

I think we need pictures of said Goldie ....... I absolutely adore Goldies!

If the oil was working that is great BUT another thing to consider is a food allergy. I have a Carolina dog and she was scratching all the time. Checked with the Vet. He suggested allergies especially since it tended to be really bad in the fall. DH is a search buff! He found out a lot of animals have food allergies, most are to wheat and corn. Well almost all the dry food, especially snacks or treats or made of it too! I was taught that if the offending ingrediant is with in the first 3-4 "made of" it usually will casue problems.
    We switched her "Dry" food slowly to Salmon and sweet potato, she has done well with that. Treats are another thing hard to find. I find dried checken and I cook liver for her.
    Good luck to you,
    Dawn227

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jbud2 View Post
    We have a golden retriever who is 9 years old, in the house mostly, eats dry dog food and he has dandruff. Big flakey dandruff. He has had dandruff ever since we brought him home as a pup. I had asked the vet about it and he said it seems to bother me more than the dog so we shouldn't worry so much about it. Another vet in the practice recommended some kind of oil put in his food, every day a tablespoon at a time. I forget what kind it is!! The last bottle went bad and was thrown out. A tablespoon at a time lasts a l o n g time. Any suggestions from the Board?
    It was probably Cod Liver Oil.I use it in our dogs feed or a fish oil supplement.My vet said you could give your dog 1/2 slice of fried bacon it would do just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jbud2 View Post
    My vet says to give fish oil daily. My dog love it and thinks she is getting a treat!
    starlite(Jan)

I had the same problem with a Westie years ago. That vet told me to put a tablespoon of Crisco( or your favorite cooking oil) in his dry food once a day.

I buy them fish oil tablets and break
    one open and put on his food.

Flaxseed and olive oil are both fine. I had a vet tell me that canola oil is better than olive. Ehh!! not so much to me. sometimes the food you feed has a lot to do with it too. Fillers and grains are the culprits. But the good foods are so expensive its hard to afford them. Flaxseed can be kept in the fridge so it won't go bad.

Blog Entries
    We have an older Sheltie and in August we thought he had dandruff, too, so took him to the vet and it turned out to be a very serious skin infection she said. He is an indoor dog, too. We had antibiotics for a month, and bathe him every week, and she also had us change his food to IMO for Sensitive Skin dogs.

A good oil in his food will work great. Can also bath him in people dandruff shampoo BUT make sure get all the shampoo out. I am an AHT and worked for a vet many years and if can use on people can work with animals.
    Mona Marie
    I am too Blessed to be stressed and too Anointed to be disappointed

One of my schnoodles was having hair/skin problems too & the vet recommanded omega-3 oil be added to his food daily. He only gets 1/2 tsp as he is only 23 lbs. The vet sold me the oil, but it sounds like this is the oil you need.

Thank you everyone! Since I had a fresh bottle of olive oil on hand, our Buddy got a morning snack with a 1/2 TBL of oil. He licked the bowl clean! He is fed a dry food I get at Petsmart and it's not cheap. Something $30 for a 15 pound bag of chow. I get him the Senior diet line since it was recommended because Buddy also been showing some early hip problems. My husband starting taking fish oil caps for his own back - maybe when he takes his pill, he can give Buddy one . .

They can share!

I would start with a good professional grooming, try not to go to Petsmart, their groomers are only given a short couse and don't have much experance. A good bath, with an oatmeal type shampoo, and a good deshedding will let the skin breath better. Then check your dog food for corn. Corn causes many skin problems. Since we have taken our dogs off the corn based food, their skin and coats are just beautiful. I would be careful adding too much oil, as it can cause upset stomachs. Also a good brushing weekly will help too.

Quote Originally Posted by Floralfab View Post
    Our dog had dry skin too and we put him on flaxseed oil and it helped with the dryness and gave him a beautiful coat.
    I too use flaxseed oil. I actually split open a capsule once a week and their coat is soft and beautiful. I give it to my cat also, and this helps to lessen hair balls. You might want to read up on olive oil. I heard not to use olive oil for your pets.

I have two cats that have skin problems. I put a cap full of Avon Skin So Soft in their bath (yes I said bath) water and it seems to help them a lot. Plus it is good for fleas and I can't use any flea products on either of them. Thank goodness my little female has no problems with anything. Must be a "man" thing. LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast