Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • My dog is peeing on my bed! >
  • My dog is peeing on my bed!

• My dog is peeing on my bed!

Old 10-27-2010, 11:42 AM

Shut the bedroom door and talk to your vet.
    Old 10-27-2010, 01:03 PM

I really appreciate all the advice and ideas to try..here are my thoughts now, on the matter:

1. if a kid started wetting the bed, i would not throw him out...my brother was a bed wetter into his early teens, he could not help it. it was medical, and my dad just made it worse.
    i don't find it disgusting at all..i find it frustrating and depressing, that i don't know why he is doing this..

2. they both sleep with us. Gizmo is my dog..they both sleep under the covers at the foot of the bed, near our feet. i would not change that.Chula is daddys girl.

3. i think doggy diapers would be a good thing to check out. thank you for the advice on that one, and how to measure.that will be my first step.

4. i think Chula may be the reason..she picks on him, I would never get rid of her, reguardless.i don't beliece animals are throw aways,just because they don't act they way we want them too. but talking to a behavioral pet person, may shed some more light on it. thanks, i will check that out tomorrow. i will also check out the book recommended.

5. the doggy door is apart of the sliding glass door, which is in my bedroom. :roll: he is not peeing at night in the bed..he is peeing when i am home. The door is open, so they can come and go outside at will. i close the bedroom door whenever i leave the house, since this started happening. i retired 6 years ago, so i am home all the time, a homebody, except on wednesdays..when i go quilting with the girls.

sooo, i am going to measure him and do get/try diapers. maybe i can make some cute covers..for them. :shock:

My D O G S don't know they are dogs..shhhh

i raised my 3 kids, 5 foster kids, and have 4 grandsons..i did my part..these are a part of my family. my husband works long hours,he is gone 13 hours a day...we are company for each other. they go camping with us..i have taken trips to oklahoma,texas and florida, by myself. with Gizmo..he would not let anyone come near me in the car..i am safe with him..no one comes near my house, without them letting me know..no one. JRT's are notorious for having seperation issues. it is a given when you have one. he watches my every move..lol

the vet says he is healthy..weight is 16 pounds..he has idiopathic seizures..controled by meds..now i am thinking of checking into the phenobarb..he gets his blood and urine checked every 6 months. it is all good.

i have always had a matress protector..prior to having a bladder suspension, you never knew when and if i would
    "leak" . so glad my husband didn't trade me in..for a better working model.

again, thank you all for the thoughts and ideas, they are a start.
    Old 10-27-2010, 01:14 PM

Hi Kim,

Sounds like you are on the right track. I love your insight on the dogs, we feel the same about our 3 ladies and Miss Kola the cat.
    We wouldn't give them up for anything and would fight tooth and nail to keep them.
    Old 10-27-2010, 02:49 PM
    Banned

Have you checked for a possible bladder infection or UTI? I have a male cat that just recently (he is 11 years old) diagnosed with IBS ~ and I now have to give him liquid prednisone daily to keep the inflammation at bay. Not sure how old your is but as they get into their adult years the gastrointestinal system can develop issues......this is just a reply based on my experience. Good luck!
    Old 10-27-2010, 03:36 PM

I agree with the other comments about making sure he doesn't have a medical problem and looking at dominance issues. You also might want to consider dog diapers.

I have an older male dog with canine dementia. He sometimes tries to pee in the house where he shouldn't. When we moved to a new house with lots of carpet, we bought him "bellybands" online. Look up "Happy Jack Dog Diapers". They're made of fleece with a velcro fastener and a shoulder strap to keep him from "slithering" out of them. We line them with inexpensive sanitary pads and have several of them so we can wash them as needed. He doesn't mind them at all and they work perfectly. They also look like they'd be easy to make if you wanted to make your own. Good luck solving the problem! Let us know how you do...
    Old 10-27-2010, 03:38 PM

Lots of good advice here. I wouldn't give up my pets either, even with the accidents. They are my family, and so much company.
    Old 10-27-2010, 03:55 PM

looking up "happy jack" now..thanks!
    Old 10-27-2010, 04:01 PM

Generally, this kind of behavior will take place after a stressful event. It is very common after a dog was scolded. This is why many dog owners think that their pet is being spiteful. The truth is the dog is very upset and vulnerable and when a dog is in that state he is more likely to make himself feel better by peeing in your bed.

Some dogs are more submissive than others. Very submissive dogs, shy dogs that lack self-confidence and often young pups will urinate when in the presence of more dominant dogs and humans.

Many dog owners mistakenly believe that this type of urination is a housetraining problem, and try to correct it with discipline. But scolding a dog who has peed on your bed will only make the behavior worse! Because the message he's sending is misunderstood by the owner, the dog is caught in a vicious cycle - his instincts tell him to urinate to please his superior by showing submission. But when he does, he is punished. He then tries harder to please by urinating even more. This results in more punishment, and still more urination. After a time, the dog may become so confused and insecure that he urinates at the mere sight of a human being or another dog.

I would just give him a lot of attention and love and try to take him out often and when he pees outside, praise him a lot. I think he is intiminate by the other dog but patience will help him.
    Old 10-27-2010, 04:01 PM

I am happy to see you are not part of our throw away society pets are our four legged kids , but then not all kids get a fair shake in this world just watch the news. my 2 dogs and cat are family I wouldn't dream of tossing them out , you work to solve the problem my boys were not always easy to understand when they went through there teen years but we hung in there and have 2 great adult sons. I am sure you will work out this problem out .
    Old 10-27-2010, 04:08 PM

Just a thought, where on the bed is he peeing, one side verse the other. Your side or your husbands. I have heard of male dogs marking on the scent of the human female in relation to hormonal changes of the human. Just a factor to consider.