Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My name is Dawn, and I am addicted to....fabric!

My name is Dawn, and I am addicted to....fabric!

I truly need a 12 step program these days. When I sew quilts, I have a specific color scheme and pattern in mind. When I sew little dresses, I am more free. Now every fabric I see looks like part of another dress.

I always swore that I would never be a fabric hoarder, but this has done it for me. I need therapy! :0)

Blog Entries
    Hello Dawn, welcome to our gathering, might I get you a piece of fabric to fondle while you sit there and tell us all about it? We have, satins, wools, cord and even some furniture cover material. The cottons are nice and soft as we prewash all our fabric for meetings. The fleece is nice and warm for arthritic hands as is the flannel. We are glad you
    can join us, do sit a spell now and tell us your story.
    My stash keeps me in stitches!

Power Poster
    You are asking the wrong group for help. I too am a fabric hoarder but I am proud of my stash.

Power Poster
    Ummm - welcome to the group.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    You are asking the wrong group for help. I too am a fabric hoarder but I am proud of my stash.
    Yeah... we really are kind of a bunch of enablers. But it's soooooo fun! Besides, of all the things I could be addicted to, fabric is pretty harmless, right? I know I could be as rabid over something like exercise or eating righgt & that would really be fabulous but unless they'd reward me with fabric, that ain't happening! So, hello, Dawn. Here's a thread you might enjoy... PUT YOUR FABRIC DOWN SO YOU CAN READ IT! LOL!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...c-t188580.html
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    Hi Dawn this is Dawn in Waco Texas. I decided to use my stash so I can buy more updated fabric. I do the same when making quilts I have color sceme, but I am trying to do some quilts for charity and use up that fabric. good luck to you and show us pictures. ok?
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

Hi, Dawn! Welcome to the group! Most of us bring several pieces of fabric with us, for Show-And-Tell. Oh! I see you're well prepared!
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

I love everyone of you fabric hoarders. We all sound alike. time for some more to feel. joyce j

Blog Entries
    My name is Sharon and I am also addicted to fabric. I think we mostly all are!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I just got back from a two store fabric shopping spree this morning, I was real good I just bought only six new fabrics.

Blog Entries
    Hi Dawn - join the crowd. I have over 200+ pieces of batiks on shelves that I cannot even get to - remodeling here - so what did I do yesterday??? Bought a really pretty 1 yard piece of red batik at Walmart and I have washed it twice - by hand with a little lukewarm water and a drop or two of liquid soap - and am now rinsing and rinsing and rinsing it - in my pure white dishpan - water is still pink - so have it soaking right now and will go back in there soon and rinse some more - must be CRAZY.
    Nikki in MO

Blog Entries
    I am not a fabric hoarder. I don't 'hoard' it away when I purchase it, I wash some of it, then re-fold it my way and gently put it on an organized shelf with the rest of my purchases. Just because I have 1 1/2 shelves of neatly folded batiks, a shelf of purse fabrics, a shelf of landscape fabrics, a shelf of solids in every color imaginable, a shelf of Fusions in a huge amt of colors, a shelf of floral, a shelf of holiday, a shelf of children, a shelf of segregated colors in prints, and 3 decorative baskets of rolled fabric yardage doesn't make me a hoarder. I am a Collector. A collector of over 500 different fabrics in 2-4 yd lengths each. I hope to go through this hoard, er, I mean collection, in my lifetime. A Hoarder. Hmph....
    Um, where is this meeting being held?

Quote Originally Posted by NanaCsews2 View Post
    I am not a fabric hoarder. I don't 'hoard' it away when I purchase it, I wash some of it, then re-fold it my way and gently put it on an organized shelf with the rest of my purchases. Just because I have 1 1/2 shelves of neatly folded batiks, a shelf of purse fabrics, a shelf of landscape fabrics, a shelf of solids in every color imaginable, a shelf of Fusions in a huge amt of colors, a shelf of floral, a shelf of holiday, a shelf of children, a shelf of segregated colors in prints, and 3 decorative baskets of rolled fabric yardage doesn't make me a hoarder. I am a Collector. A collector of over 500 different fabrics in 2-4 yd lengths each. I hope to go through this hoard, er, I mean collection, in my lifetime. A Hoarder. Hmph....
    Um, where is this meeting being held?
    Hmmmmmm. . . I think we should hold our meeting, in your stash . . . I mean, SEWING room.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

I can certainly relate. I have a room full of fabric, but my garden produce is keeping me in the kitchen and away from my sewing room.

This is such a cute thread-and I to belong to the stash hoarders I try not to give out my name so no one can recognize me and slip my husband a message about the stash he thinks is for the quilt I am working on.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    LOL ...welcome to the board !! We are all fabric o holics here. We are all addicted and have a bucket list a mile long of ideas for material we want to complete. Wait then someone posts a new picture of a different material or way to do things.. gotta add that one and Oh yeah print the instructions to put in a 3 ring binder. Figure out what fabric I think I might like that in. Figure out when I have time to make it, put the material on a shelf with the binder on the same shelf as the other projects to do. Every free minute either sewing a quilt or a garment .. LOL
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    Hmmmmmm. . . I think we should hold our meeting, in your stash . . . I mean, SEWING room.

HAHAHA .. I agree .. when ? where ? coffee ?? do we bring our machines ? does she have enough room for all of us ? do we bring sleeping bags as well ? LOL so many questions .. LOL
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
    I just got back from a two store fabric shopping spree this morning, I was real good I just bought only six new fabrics.
    Wow! Sorry you were in such a sad mood! Only two? You could lose your addict badge. Ha-ha-ha

Hobby Lobby had some nice fabric marked down, which was being discontinued. Need I say more?
    Neesie

~Richard Dawkins

I'm addicted, too -- however, I don't want a 12 step program................I don't want to be cured!!!! LOL
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

I have my stash of fabrics and patterns and notions and..... I don't have a problem, I can quit at any time, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. LOL No twelve step for me unless it includes buying, cutting, folding, washing, ironong, sorting into like colors, sewing, quilting, hiding leftover scraps, fondling and also just admiring it.
    It's always sunny here in Fl unless it's raining,LOL

Blog Entries
    I have the same problem, love that fabric. Just got back from Hancock's this morning with another bag full of beauties.. It is not a fatal illness, thankfully!
    Abiding in the Vine

I don't drink, smoke or gamble. My fabric is my entertainment so I refuse to feel guilty about it or feel the need to explain it to anyone. As for the amount, who knows but something tells me that when you have a container of every colour plus other large Rubbermaid containers of novelties, backgrounds, backings, plaids, plains etc. then the stash is fairly extensive. I'll play in it, use it and share it until I am no longer able or interested in stitching and then it will be given away. My daughter affectionately tells me when that when that day comes, she will know that there is something seriously wrong with me and move me into the local "Old Folks Home". (I'll be ok there as she is one of the nurses!)
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

Well, you're in the right place!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    We won't be much help in this area -But we can be the best Enablers you'll ever come across..I say enjoy all your wonderful fabrics -let your artistic side run free

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast