Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello my name is Luv, and Im a fabri-holic.....

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries

Hello my name is Luv, and Im a fabri-holic.....

Im almost too embarrassed to say this, but i broke my very own promise to me..
    I vowed that once i got my lovely sewing room ( one of the guest bedrooms turned sewing room) i would contain my hobby just to that room- its not huge by no means..
    It drove me nuts when hubby would work on his project and leave the 'crap' all over the kitchen table or living room.. My daughter, the wonderfully spoiled only child has toys, dolls, books you name it in EVERY room in the house (its 3 levels) ..
    So I was going to lead by example, and keep my stuff contained..
    Well, it must of happened overnight as I hadn't noticed what what happening..
    The formal dining room has now turned into my swap exchange room.. I have covered my antique wooden table with a gigantic cutting mat that covers it perfectly end to end... Yes I use it to cut from bolts too..Works great !! and sooo much room !!! but when the need arises I toss a table cloth over it and Voila ! A table to eat on again !!
    Then under that very same table I have at least 15 bolts stashed from when i cut them last and have not taken them to my sewing room.. Not to mention all the other quilty stuff hanging around keeping the bolts company.. Im avoiding 'where to put them' syndrome as space in my sewing room has now become a valuable commodity.. A lil more than i had bargained for.. Seriously. when did it all happen ?!?!?!

Today I was 'spring cleaning'.. Yes I do it from time to time when hubby isnt looking- I dont want to give him any ideas ya know. !! That would be bad..
    I was emptying out the second guest bedroom closet, I came across 5 tubs of fabric.. Really!?!??! where did they come from?!?! Who put them there!?!?! Did they multiply overnight?!?!?!?! ( ok well 6 months sounds more like it- as I recall purging actual clothing from that very same closet not more than 6 months ago..) But i do not recall putting them in there.. Did i block it out !?!?!? When did i begin to look the other way!?!?!?! When did I begin to turn the cheek and allow my quilting to invade the rest of the house?!?!?! Im so not complaining, really im not.. I'm fortunate and thank hubby everyday (quietly and to myself actually- we don't want to make his head swell- that would be bad..) But it amazes me - not in a good way either, the 'stuff' i have and where the 'stuff' is stuffed... !

Ive decided to take one tub- cut and slice them and make scrappies- one tub at a time... Cut them into 1.5 all the way up to 3.5 strips, 2x2 all the way up to 5x5 sqs, who knows I may even pull out the GO tumbler or apple core die to spice things up a bit...

I know im not alone in this 'epidemic' .. And I knew discussing my newly founded 'treasures' to hubby would be detrimental in every way.. So i decided to share with my QB family.. Who knows?!?!?! Some of you may be in the very same shoes..

THANKS FOR LISTENING !!!

My name is Luv, and Im a fabri-holic........
    Last edited by luvTooQuilt; 05-10-2012 at 06:11 AM.

Oh my gosh, that same things happens to me! I call them "fabric bunnies", I just know it happens overnight with no help from me. I clean it all up and seems like in a day ot two it's a mess. I got up the other morning all fired up to quilt but I couldn't find any space to work on. By the time I cleaned and put everything away I was exhausted, ate lunch and took a nap. Today, my goal is to get in the room and actually quilt.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    It sounds like your hubby is a keeper. I can imagine all your bolts under your antique dining room table. Makes me laugh! The places we find to put things. I recently bought an old Singer 99K and it's been sitting on my piano bench and my husband hasn't said a word. Now I'm starting to think I can bring out a few more items from my sewing room!!!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Power Poster
    It's happened here, too.

I'm good at resisting impulse buying of 'expensive' fabrics.
    It's when it's priced really inexpensively that I go crazy!

You are in good company. I read on here all the time of stash and fabric buying addiction. I am guilty of the same addiction.So far I have managed to keep it all in my sewing room, but is slowly pushing me out. Got to find another room with some space. But isn't it fun. My name is Pat and I am also a fabri-holic.

I am shocked and dismayed, at the reckless treatment of precious fabric! Seriously, though . . . this started me thinking. Ya know how some people keep cases of books, on display, in the study or wherever (I've actually never had a "study" but it sounds nice)? Well, why not cases of fabric, on display? It'd be quite pretty . . . . All we need is some fabriholic celebrity, to start the trend . . . .

Banned
    I'm not aware there is a "12 Step Program" for you. Which is a good thing because I know what you mean.
    I wonder about these clever folk (quilters) who write articles and books and blogs etc on the subject of "Managing Your Stash", A friend tells the story on me that one time I was away teaching and left a most important part of the class at home and I called to have it sent to me........The questions was asked "where will I find it" My answer was....."look on the cutting table and you will see three stacks of fabric......look at the bottom of the stack on the far right and you will find it........" Which proves we know what we are doing. Just hope that when you toss the table cloth over the stuff the gravy won't spill because it was put down on top of a stack of fat quarters.

I think you should be proud of your addiction! It's not going anywhere so you may as well embrace it. We are moving next week & I got my stash down to only 6 tubs. Amazing, right?
    .* .*)) -::-
    ((.*~Dody.*))
    -::- ((.* .*((.. *-::- ...

Blog Entries
    Thanks Holice ! Ill be sure to omit the gravy from the meal to save the fabric. lol...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachbound View Post
    I think you should be proud of your addiction! It's not going anywhere so you may as well embrace it. We are moving next week & I got my stash down to only 6 tubs. Amazing, right?

SIX TUBS !!!!! are they the 100 gallon ones?!?!?!
    That is amazing....

Tomorrow my sewing room is next to be 'spring cleaned' Wish me luck.. It was great knowing you all Ill see ya sometime next month!! Nah, Ive got help coming.. lol..

Blog Entries
    My name is Sharon and I am an enabler LOL

I had started the Spring cleaning thing and then went into Fabric overload Got a lot put into tubs and a few clear spaces so what do I do.... go on a Shop Hop ... Oh my .... LOL yep you guessed it had to buy more fabric , Hey I had some room for it

Luv if you aren't back in time for the next swap we will call in help to find you
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

I embraced mine about forty years ago...the nice thing about it is I've decided that mine is one that doesn't require meetings, except for the ones held at fabric stores once a week or so. I have no one to answer to (do kids that holler "quit spending our inheritance!!), count? so I do as I please. If anyone feels the need for lessons to cope with this wonderful afflic...er, addic...er...hobby!!! please feel free to PM me...I'll either be here or at my LQS. Sign me, "no worries as long as the stash holds out" Momto5!!!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

I too am a fabri-holic and am hoping that I get some for Mother's Day. I have managed (in just two years) to acquire LOTS of fabric and the only part that is scary is this: In two more years, will the amount just double or does it grow exponentially? DH asked me this morning if I "needed" to go to Lancaster, PA to get fabric. Of course I "need" to go, I still don't have ALL the colors of the Kona Cottons yet!

I had to buy more totes this week to "reorganize" so hubby doesn't see fabric everywhere I turn...however, he does blame you ms. luv for enabling me with your swaps and for "making me kicking and screaming" to host one of my own...yep...that is my story and I'm sticking to it!!! Will take pics once my new closet it done and I get the fabric in it.

Blog Entries
    This morning I went to a monthly class at my LQS. One of my classmates and I were looking at a bolt of fabric on the markdown table. We both sort of thought that we had some of this at home, so we did the only thing fabri-holics could do. We split the bolt. This is how you wind up with tubs of fabric. I also have a sewing room, but actually sew in the dining room as there is not enough room in my SR. Sigh.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I have the same problem - only hubby goes nuts when buying the fabric - always gets more than needed and I end up with left overs that grow.

The local quilt guild had a garage sale the other day. Scraps, fat quarters, and larger bits of fabric. It was so tempting. They had books, patterns, and magazines. There were bags of scraps, too. I had a hard time, but I was able to control myself. I didn't stay very long. Maybe that is how I was able to control myself--that and the fact that my foot hurt and it was hard to walk. It was fun looking, and I'm wishing I bought more. There is no hope for any of us.
    Sue

I was a card-carrying member of the QB fabric moratorium from December until the end of March. I fell off the wagon in the worse way and can't seem to get back on. I'm newly retired and still not making even a dent in the ever-growing stash. But instead of hours spent in the sewing room, I find I spend most of my time surfing for more fabric. For instance, when I can pick up a yard of fabric at Connecting Threads for $2.00+ why wouldn't I pick up 10 yards at a time?! It's important to be thrifty :0). What a rush it is to tear into a new order of fabric. I'm on a first name basis with the postmaster. So then what do I do, tuck the new purchase(s) with the rest of the stash and start the cycle all over again. I have two tubs of fabric so full, neither will hold another piece of fabric, plus I almost get a hernia trying to move them around. I'll never live long enough to use it all, but I sure am having fun. Everyone needs to believe in something.....I believe I'll shop for more fabric!

im in the same boat but dont tell
    dh he knows i have alot and i show him everything i get new but i dont think he has any idea how much i have i dont think i even know. its not very organized i cant sew in my sewing room theres no room i barly can get in there to cut ive been known to take over the kichen table for that. my go cutter lives beside my couch and my long arm and sewing desk have pushed everything but the couch and china cabinet out off the living room. come to think off it i have a great DH and i should realy reward him.

I know how you feel. When I first moved in here I turned my family room into my sewing room. There is also a small storage room attached where I store most of my fabric. But I have fabric and projects in my guest room closet (no room for clothes). There are projects on the top shelf of my walk-in closet, and tubs of batting and fabric stacked in the corner of my bedroom. At one point I even had tubs of fabric stacked in my bathtub which I never use (use the shower in the other bathroom).

I wouldn't mind fabric multiplying for me, but I bet it wouldn't stop me from buying when there is a good deal! As much as I say I will use that stash, I find for every piece I use, I buy 3-4 more. Oh well, just hope that when I die, one of my kids will want to take over the obsession!!

Blog Entries
    I can relate. I've been cleaning closets and donating all of my work clothes to Hope House BECAUSE I need more space for fabric.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Blog Entries
    I just love this board and you people who write these things. I can't stay off of this computer. I never get anything done, because in my free time I'm on here reading about you addicts! ha,ha.

Luv, I feel you, girl. My closet is stuffed to the brim with my quilting items too. I literally dragged a 5 drawer chest of drawers down the sidewalk from up the block to my house to put more stuff in....well, they were just throwing it out, how could I let those 5 drawers of space go to the dump? Now all 5 drawers are packed. My significant other, the poor man, did not see the chest of drawers for 5 days then he asked me where it came from. I innocently told him from down the street.......

Now that the semester has ended, finally, I will tote my sewing machine to the dining room table and start sewing in earnest! This will drive the man crazy; he believes the table should be clear, what? WHY? I need that space to sew. My desk in my "sewing/study" room has my computer on it. Where am I supposed to puti it? Moving the small sewing machine is much easier.
    Darn, I wish I could find tubs of fabric tucked in another closet! Lucky girl!!

Luv, we are family! We must be.
    Evelyn

Oh my, my...my fabric does naughty things in the dark and keeps increasing. The sewing room(converted bedroom), the quilting room has my LA(converted dining room), three big closets, are all stuffed full of sewing goodies. Phew!!! When did it become an obsession? Oh well hubby doesn't care (he's an enabler), and I make many, many give away quilts for everything. My name is Brenda and I'm a fabric-holic.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast