Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello my name is Luv, and Im a fabri-holic.....

Blog Entries
    Well as it's been said "stuff expands to meet the existing space" whether in our case fabric and related items, or tools in the garage

I totally understand, I too spring cleaned and I have given a couple of boxes of corduroy (which I make school bags for overseas) and anything other than cotton away. I have my solids in a tub and I have sorted my panels, and my lights and my darks separate. I feel like I know where my stuff is, so I can actually work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
    Well as it's been said "stuff expands to meet the existing space" whether in our case fabric and related items, or tools in the garage
    OK, now I understand what happened in my sewing room. I turned off the lights and the expansion happened. I was so proud that I cleaned and organized at the New Year. But then there was an online quilting business having a going out of business sale at $2.00 a yard. 75 yards later the sewing room is a mess.
    My name is Sunnie and I'm a fabric-holic.
    Sunnie
    a dog show & quilt addict
    www.buckhollow.net

*Deep breath* "My name is Rebecca & I am a hopeless, helpless fabric-a-holic. And I have absolutely no intention of doing anything about it except acquiring more fabrics, more tools, more books, more patterns, more anything that isn't nailed down that's quilt-related".

If I had a dime for every New Year's Day that rolls around that starts with me saying "This year the only fabric I'm going to buy is what I need to finish a UFO". And that lasts until I get out of bed... LOL!

I have fabric in my sewing room. In fact, I have so much fabric in my sewing room that it's no longer usable as a sewing room & has turned into a fabric room (with a tiny path thru the center -- you'll see it on "Hoarders" very soon, I'm pretty sure). In my full basement, I have fabric (in paper boxes, totes, paper bags, loose, you name it) stacked floor to ceiling on one whole half of it (plus the totes that have sorta spilled into the laundry & DH's areas -- oops). In my 3-car garage, I have fabric stored along a long wall & a short wall (floor to ceiling again). In our back-yard storage shed, I think there's fabric, too (there's also critters under it & I'm a'scared of them so I won't go in there). There are quilting books & patterns & magazines all over the house. Wanna eat at the dining room table? Too bad... I've got 2 cutting mats on it & have been cutting to my heart's content there. I'm trying to figure out how I can store fabric in my yard (hey, I have 1.5 acres... that'd hold lots of goodies!). This weekend I plan to set the extra ironing board up in the kitchen, drag my Featherweight out to the kitchen table & sew out there... unless I find a good fabric sale to go to.

Yes, I'm addicted. And I'd be more than happy to lead any of the rest of y'all down this garden path with me!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Hi, my name is Gayle and I am a fabriholic too......
    Most of my stash is in my sewing room or the garage right next to it but my rubbermaid tubs full of fabric seem to be multiplying. I don't know how this is happening......

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

I admit it....I'm a fabriholic as well. I had an overflowing bedroom (sewing room) that I barely had a path to get into. Then we purchased my new bldg so I could accommodate my newly acquired longarm. Even tho I now have oodles of space, it seems to be filling up nicely with the fabric bunny having babies! Don't know how this happens, but it sure has!
    My name is Cindy, and YES I'm a fabriholic!

Gayle, I guess I'm a fabriholic. Although I have committed to not buying any more fabric. It is ridicilous the price now. Soooo, I have enough of a stash to last me forever!!! I love scrappy anyway....
    ~ I'm a Blessed Nanna to 2 Grandsons & 5 Granddaughters & 1 grandson in law ~
    ~ I'm a Blessed Mom to DS & DDIL, DD & DSIL ~
    ~ Mom to 1 black beauty now ~ Daisy ~
    ~ God Bless the USA ~ God Bless Our Troops ~

Oh, by the way, Gayle. I have 2 GD with similar great names!!! Hannah Grace & Naomi Olivia. My daughter gave all 5 of her kids names from the Bible (altho don't know about Olivia).....
    ~ I'm a Blessed Nanna to 2 Grandsons & 5 Granddaughters & 1 grandson in law ~
    ~ I'm a Blessed Mom to DS & DDIL, DD & DSIL ~
    ~ Mom to 1 black beauty now ~ Daisy ~
    ~ God Bless the USA ~ God Bless Our Troops ~

My name is Anna and I am also a fabri-holic. I married three years ago and decide one addic.. Hobby was all I needed to focus on. I let my hubby tobe do what he did to all the pieces of wood, trim, lumber and plywood (that might make something with one day) I do not want to think about it..... I have done crossstitch, all the mags are in the garage still... to dirty to bring into the house. I have moved to a subdivisions with community gardens... I really do not have the need to plant in my gardens and have all the shovels and rakes. (I do have to dig in the dirt. It's an addiction thing too.) We bought a new house, has this wonderful room upstairs, has walk in closet, linen closet and two other closets and I had one of the small closets fitted with shelves for "Crafts." Now I am thinking the walkin should have been fitted with those shelves. I have the stack from the shop in Ringgold over on the dresser, the Stuff bought in Jacksonville on the night stand, My new stuff from Saint Augustine, in the bag on the floor by my trunk. I do have all my books and magazines on the shelf... except the ones with ideas I want to try. they are in the stack over there with the fabrics I will use. Oh did I say tubs? I have these little plastic shoe box size tubs that I use for my projects. I have about ten and need more.

An you know who is the BLAME!!!! Hubby is!!!! It is all his Fault...... He bought me my new Sewing Machine last summer. That is when it started..... I look around and I did not do this... He Did!!!

I am Anna and I am a fabri-holic.

I definitely belong here! LOL!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    You're definitely not alone. I haven't been able to sew, let alone quilt for almost 2 months now (broken right thumb & left shoulder) so can't do much of anything right now. Has that stopped me from feeding my addiction??? No way.

DH has never said anything about my fabric addiction until this past month, knowing I can't do any sewing right now but he got over it when I said it was a very good deal.

I started with an area in our family room -- then added an area in our dining room -- then our son moved away for college and quickly took over his room. I did get most of the stuff from the other 2 rooms. NOW, I have his old bedroom and took over the guest bedroom for my cutting room. That's where I have my big cutting table and all my fabric on shelves DH put up last year.

My name if Vicki and I'm definitely a fabri-holic.......
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

My name is Caroline and I am a fabri-holic. But I usually buy my fabrics at thrift stores. That is a good thing is it not? Think of all that money I have saved.

My name is Caroline and I am a VSMA (Vintage Sewing Machine Addict). And at this point I am not confessing to the total number yet.

My name is Caroline and I am a vegetable seed addict. I decided that before I placed a new seed orders for this year, yes orders, that I should organize them and put them on a spreadsheet so I would not order something I already had. Well, the seed list total is 254 packets. I only need onion seeds for this year.

My name is Caroline and I am a daylily addict. It's hybrid daylilies. I have at least 65 different ones. But the good thing is that they live outside and in the greenhouse.

I like to think of myself as an organized addict. Last summer I took over the garage for my fabric and sewing. Well, I said to self, Washington is a community property state so I was entitled to 50% of the garage that had NEVER held a car. Then I said to self, I do 90% of everything around here so I should be entitled to at least 75% of the garage, so I took 80% for good measure. The fabric is in big tubs placed on wire racks and is sorted by color and fabric type. Placed strategically around the space are at least 10 sewing machines in cabinets. The portable sewing machines in cases live at the bottom of the closets in the house. Eight treadle machines are placed strategically in the living room and my extra bedroom. The cure for the sewing machine addiction is that there is no longer room for any more. That's a good thing. Right? Oh, I forgot to mention the Morse 4400 and cabinet that is still in the back seat of my truck. UH OH, I have to figure out where she will go.

I think I am hopelessly addicted with everything I do. Most of you have only one addiction, so far I have admitted to four. I don't think that I have enough time left on this earth to go through therapy for all of my addictions.

Sweet Caroline

and this is a problem--WHY?!?!?

I just don't understand when people (who are not quilters, btw) comment on how much fabric I have. Don't they realize that I am barely keeping ahead of the fabric famine that is sure to hit the moment I fall below a certain level of stash? Is it my fault I don't know what that level is so must work constantly to keep the stash healthy and stave off fabric doom? I, too, can resist highly priced materials. LOL, can? make that must, as the budget doesn't allow. But man can I hit the thrift stores and stretch that budget dollar. Show me a fabric bargain and I see my duty and I do it!! Of course it's not an addiction, not a lack of control!! I'm a grown person acting responsibly and taking my obligations seriously. Yeah, that's it!
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

I just moved from ILL to MT(2 weeks ago) and have finally got most of my sewing room together. I still have my totes of fabrics to sort and find places for as I can't put up wall shelves. Was attic space with angled ceilings so they wont fit. So now to go thru totes and sort before I can sew-going thru withdrawal !!!lol
    Kathy Osterby

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    I am shocked and dismayed, at the reckless treatment of precious fabric! Seriously, though . . . this started me thinking. Ya know how some people keep cases of books, on display, in the study or wherever (I've actually never had a "study" but it sounds nice)? Well, why not cases of fabric, on display? It'd be quite pretty . . . . All we need is some fabriholic celebrity, to start the trend . . . .
    Oh My then fabric will be even more expensive!

if we don't keep buying fabric...the stores will close...the economy will take a downturn...we are just helping the stability of the world with our fabric buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    I am shocked and dismayed, at the reckless treatment of precious fabric! Seriously, though . . . this started me thinking. Ya know how some people keep cases of books, on display, in the study or wherever (I've actually never had a "study" but it sounds nice)? Well, why not cases of fabric, on display? It'd be quite pretty . . . . All we need is some fabriholic celebrity, to start the trend . . . .
    Good idea, I agree, and Neesie, every time I read one of your posts the expression in that avatar dachshund's eyes just seems to go along with it precisely!

Much of my stash is currently spread out on the guest room bed, where I really don't mind the way it looks. I told DH I have to buy more plastic bins, even though I don't have any more room for them. They will just have to look decorative. I also told him I need a Kindle so that I can donate a lot of books to the library and make room for more fabric. He is very nice not to say anything rude. I also mentioned that we need a bigger house. He thinks I'm kidding.

Thanks for sharing your story. You are not alone by any means. When you feel the need the need to
    "go to a meeting", we are here for you.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Blog Entries
    6 rubbermaid tubs in storage space in basement, two more in bedroom closet, two in dining room next to machine (one of those is scraps only)plus six boxes of varying sizes under basement steps and two or three bags in bedroom. I end up going to store when i decide on a specific pattern as never feel i have right amount in my stash of any one color. I cruise the thrift stores and usually cannot resist buying one or two or ? number of pieces of fabric that catch my eye. any yard sale that has fabric gets my attention also. I have friends who also check out yard sales for me or when they spring clean, save any fabric finds for me. Over half my stash is fabric i have inherited from family members as everyone knows I quilt and would put it to good use. And thats not counting all the books i've bought or the eight different quilt magazines i subscribe too. Call me a fabri-holic if you wish, She who sews last--had the bigger stash!

Blog Entries
    glad I didnt miss this meeting..Hello I am Joy..Im a fabric-holic! LMAO could have a worse habit I reckon.

I sew on the second floor in a spare bedroom. I cut in the spare bedroom down the hall. My stash is in the basement as are my books and magazines. Consider yourself luky if you get everthing in the same room.

Oh come on now dont be so hard on yourself for you are not alone by no means. I got back from NJ and spent yesterday in my room trying to put up new fabrics and all the stuff I took with me to work with whilst away. Imagine my surprise when I moved a pile of batting to find yards and yards of fabric I forgot were there? I spent a couple of hours cutting 2 1/2 x 4's and 2 1/2 x 6s for a stacked quilt and loads of 2 1/2 " squares. then I got to thinking i should get to working on stuff that my DD and DGD are waiting on, didnt happen! But i was so proud of what i did and when DH noticed that was my reward. Now to get working on projects that need to be done.

I also have my fabric in plastic bins, I only have four. The problem is that I never use that fabric, I buy new fabric each time I start a new project. What is that about?

Hi QB..I have read through this thread thoroughly...You 'all' are really scaring me!! I have a small house in CA. Sure not 2/3 stories for fabric storage... Today, a seasoned quilter gave me 2 boxes of fabric ..I was SO happy! Just like Christmas! Please!! Let me keep only what I can use soon..and not hoard it! Thanks for this board..LOL!
    I do kind of understand though..Being a fabric saleperson years ago...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast