Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
my new fur baby.........white boxer >

my new fur baby.........white boxer

my new fur baby.........white boxer

Old 01-30-2011, 01:45 PM

congrats on the new addition! Only a face a mother could love! But she is cute even if I'm not the mother!
Old 01-30-2011, 04:38 PM

So sweet------
Old 01-30-2011, 04:58 PM

I bet she gives that baby big, slurpy kisses with those bountiful lips.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:33 PM

I don't know if this is true or not, but someone that had a white boxer told me that usually the breeders would (get rid) of the white boxer puppies right away because they were gentic mutants. I personally think they are precious.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:55 PM

Awwww - cute!
Old 01-30-2011, 06:24 PM

Our Sarge is 2 1/2 years old. He is one of three in his litter. Sarge is brindle, but his brothers were both white. If I could download pictures, I'd share pictures. Never, ever would I have believed I would love this overgrown lumox as much as I do. He's a lap dog TOTALLY. Please give all your fur babies hugs and kisses every day.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by grannie cheechee
I don't know if this is true or not, but someone that had a white boxer told me that usually the breeders would (get rid) of the white boxer puppies right away because they were gentic mutants. I personally think they are precious.
They are not gentic mutants. There is a 10% chance of a SOLID white being deaf. Most are not solid white. The reason that white Boxers seem pretty rare is that until about 15 years ago, most whites where put to sleep when the other pups had their tails and dewclaws removed at 3 days. This was because according to ABC (American Boxer Club) and AKC you cannot show, breed or sell a white Boxer. So if you had a white pup, you basically had to take care of it for life or give it away.

Having white pups are not extraordinary. If you breed a flashy (with a large amount of white on a fawn or brindle) to a flashy 1 of 4 pups will be checked (over 1/3 white) or solid.

This practice started because the Boxer was first used as messenger dogs during WWI. The white ones were useless because you could see them at night. So the breeders started killing the pups at birth. This way of thinking was brought over to the AKC from Europe.

About 15 years ago, ABC changed their rules that you could sell white Boxers as registered, but you could still not show or breed them. At least now the breeders are able to sell the pups, but only for the amount of money that they have invested in them.

When I started working with CIBC (Central Indiana Boxer Club), my best friend and I put together a program where the area breeders would turn over white puppies to us at 3 days. We would hand raise them and then turn them over to Pilot Dogs of Ohio. When they reached the appropriate age, they would be trained to become seeing eye dogs. They are the most requested breed through Pilot Dogs. So it was total win-win situation. The pups were saved from death and Pilot Dogs received a healthy pup with a personality background that fits their needs.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:34 AM

Thanks,jrhboxers. That could of been what the gal that had the white one meant, but didn't explain it well. A white cat with blue eyes has a chance of being deaf so why not a white boxer. Boxers are good dogs as I've had one, and the relatives have have them also.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:41 AM

how cute
Old 01-31-2011, 08:43 AM
Banned

absolutely wonderful.