Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My Number one Suggestion- The Search Button >

My Number one Suggestion- The Search Button

My Number one Suggestion- The Search Button

Old 07-14-2010, 07:34 AM

never knew search had advanced options. thanx
Old 07-14-2010, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
my pet peeve #1 happens to be publicly posted pet peeves. what starts out as humorous reminders to each other can get ugly quicker'n you kin hit the send.

Peeve nicely, children. maybe this time we can get it right and have some chuckles.

;-)

Pet Peeve #2 - when i am the one who goofs. :roll:

I was a peever just the other day. i composed and posted the perfect answer ... to the wrong question!!! i had to delete myself. :lol:
Been there and embarrassed myself too LMBO
One or two missed/misunderstood key words can change everything :oops: :lol:
Old 07-14-2010, 07:59 AM

maybe we should call this "my number one suggestion" instead of a "peeve". More flies with honey and all that ;-)
Old 07-14-2010, 08:13 AM

Yes, please be careful or you will make people afraid to use the board so as not to upset others.

Sometimes I do run a search and find nothing but later someone is able to link me to another area because they ran their search another way.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

I can do that :thumbup: Thanks for the suggestion... :lol:
Old 07-14-2010, 08:25 AM

[quote=PatriceJ]my pet peeve #1 happens to be publicly posted pet peeves. what starts out as humorous reminders to each other can get ugly quicker'n you kin hit the send.

Peeve nicely, children. maybe this time we can get it right and have some chuckles.

quote]

Ditto. It should scare a lurker from becoming a Member or stop new Members from posting all together for fear of making a mistake. We all have peeves, but is this the place to type them for all to see? Sure I too get peeved, but I just blow it off or go on. :D The Search feature is great! Thank You for it. It does sound a bit unfriendly to answer a question with "Use the Search or Google it". :wink: Just wording it kindly could make the difference. Short of time to answer, may be why there are so many of these answers. Don't know. :wink:
Old 07-14-2010, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

I believe the intent of this topic is to help members become aware of the search feature here and how to use it, not to stop questions from being asked :D:D:D We all love to learn new things, and asking/answering questions is very good way of accomplishing this :D:D:D

Members may have also missed Admin's announcement over refining the search function for us and adding the advanced search feature too. He has spent a lot of time making it easier for us to find topics/subjects now :D:D:D
Old 07-14-2010, 08:36 AM

This really isn't a pet peeve, but I think the Search Button would be used more if members would title their threads more carefully.

It is difficult to do a search on a specific topic when the results you see are one word titles that reveal little about the thread content.

Your title above is a good example of how to title a thread. If I just saw the title I would have a good idea of the content.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:38 AM

Thanks for the help. I needed it too. :thumbup:
Old 07-14-2010, 09:25 AM

There are a lot of bells & whistles on this website. Unless you spend a lot of time, it takes a while to learn how to use some of them. I'm a retired librarian, so I usually "search" to get my own answers before I ask on a board like this one. I find it amusing that quilters ask a question on the Quiltingboard just to have someone else "search" the website or Google to provide the answer.

I find it hard to not just be a lurker as others seem to have unlimited time to make comments. Much useful information is passed along, but this seems to be a social outlet for many.

At least I discovered the "Unread Topics" link at the top of the Message Board. However, it would be nice if the "Topics" gave a clue as to what they were about as I'm sure I'm not the only one with limited time to go through the messages.