Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My son made it into the ES program :) >

My son made it into the ES program :)

My son made it into the ES program :)

Old 04-13-2013, 07:02 AM

Be proud of you son and post it.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Wendys Quilts View Post
my son is six years old and just started kindergarten. He has come home several times saying he was bored. We made an appointment to have a conference with his teacher this past December. She told us that she would like to have him tested for gifted. We agreed. We finally had a conference with the physiologist, his teacher, the ES teacher, and another ES teacher. They handed us the paperwork and it said my son scored Significantly Above Average with a score of 153 and was in the 99.98 percentile. (not exactly sure what that means??) He will now be able to go to a gifted class one day a week to be challenged more. Which we are very happy about.

He was able to read a little bit before he started kindergarten. But now his reading level is almost a fourth grade level. And he understand what he is reading, he is passing the tests that they have given him on those books he reads. so, he is comprehending what he is taking in. I dont know if that was any indication of him being gifted, but sure as heck makes me proud a mama

I would love to post this on my Facebook page, but my mom is like, "you might be careful. I might lose some friends if I do". What do you think? Should I post it on FB or not? There are people that post how their kids are doing and awards that they get. Is there any difference with this?

Wendy

That 99.98 percentile means that he scored better on <whatever test they used> than 99.98% of the kids his age who took it. Something to be proud of! I think I'd leave off the numerical details and just announce that he's earned the right to take a special enrichment class one day a week this school year based on test scores. Here's why: When I was about 10 or 11, I ran across my IQ and my brother's. His was several points higher than mine and I was crushed. I shut down academically, thinking I was DUMB.....many, many years later I realized as I was finally in college to become a teacher in my 30's (it took me that long to convince my dumb self to try college) that first, I have a decently high IQ and second, the point difference was small enough that it statistically didn't matter. It could have been the difference between his having a good day testing and me not. AND------IQ scores need to be compared at the same age and from the same test---if compared at all----and that isn't what happened. I realize that your son doesn't read the quilting board so I hope he hasn't seen all of this....but please be careful. IQ is, in my opinion as a Master's degreed teacher, far over-used and over-talked about. A happy well-rounded kid who isn't bored is far more important!
Old 04-13-2013, 01:50 PM

I hope your son finds the programme stimulating and rewarding. Make sure to praise him for effort. There is no point praising someone for being smart, any more than for being tall, or having blue eyes. It's learning how to make something worthwhile from what you have that counts. He is fortunate that he has the ability to achieve wonderful things. But he hasn't done it yet!
Old 04-13-2013, 04:01 PM

As a retired gifted teacher and mother of two gifted adult children, I would not post it on any social media. I'm glad he will be in a part time program and in other classes as well. He needs to interact with all students as that is who he will be interacting with as an adult. As far as being bored, I wouldn't let mine mention it after the first time it was said, because they have to learn how to cope in all types of settings. We have all been bored at one time or another and have learned to be patient when someone takes longer to understand a concept. The nice part of resource classes is the in depth studies of various topics.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:47 PM

As the mom of 3 kids who were in the gifted program, and as a retired teacher, I would seriously ask you to reconsider posting this kind of information. First, there are the issues others have mentioned about peer interaction. Second, there is the appearance of bragging. Third, there is a privacy issue. Think about it this way: would you want your husband telling stuff about you at work to his friends? Maybe it's things he thinks are great, but maybe you would prefer not to be talked about. Well, kids have a right to privacy as well. The people who will rejoice in this great news are most likely his grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. and presumably they already know. So why advertise family "stuff" to others? We always had special little family celebrations for braces coming off, great report cards, etc. but didn't feel the need to brag publicly about it. In this weird day and age of too much info being out there, we need to keep a careful eye on protecting our kids. I am not paranoid, but IMHO, do think kids can potentially be at risk when everyone in the world can access info about them.