for my southern friends

Old 03-28-2011, 01:13 AM

That is funny...said thing is i soo talk like this. =)
Old 03-28-2011, 03:23 AM

So true got to love the South
Old 03-28-2011, 03:32 AM

Lived in GA for over 20 years. Southerns say I sound midwestern and northeners say I sound southern. BTW never lived in the midwest. lol
Old 03-28-2011, 03:33 AM

It is all Coke to me.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:58 AM

OLD Southerners DO NOT refer to cold drinks as soda or pop!
We say Coke, Pepsi, 7 Up, Root Beer, etc.

Just sayin'

delma
Old 03-28-2011, 04:01 AM

Oh my! Did you hit the nail on the head! I'm from the suburbs of Chicago and moved South. I can't tell you how many times I've heard the "Where you from with that accent?" What? We were in HomeDepot years ago and actually had to write down what I was asking for because the girl couldn't understand me, right on that again!
Directions down her drive me nuts. If you didn't grow up down here you'll never find your way around. It's go to the Smith farm, hang a left then go to the crick on the Brown's farm. After you hit that crick keep a goin til you get to where the Jones house used to be, it fell over years ago.

I just give up asking for directions around here. I drive back home, from Ga. once every 6 weeks or so to see all the grandkids. I can't believe how many ladies ask me if I drive by myslef, and they all get permission from their husbands to do things. I can be outside doing landscaping, working in the yard, etc. and they come up to me and ask me why I'm doing that. They're amazed that I help my husband build decks and other things around the house. I've worked as a Dental Assistant all my life. The dentist I worked with, (I'm now retired) was surprised to find out that someone from the North was so nice and not associated with the mob! Oh well. I know the north has it's problems too. I guess you just get used to what you grow up with. I was actually told to go back home from a patient. The one thing I hate about being down south, the heat!
Old 03-28-2011, 04:18 AM

As a born and raised Tennessean I agree with you. I had a dear friend who was from the north and we used to have so many laughs over the differences in speech. She died of cancer and I really miss the times we had.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:57 AM

When we moved to KY from So Cal 5 years ago, one saying I had the hardest time with was "I don't care to do that". I my mind, that meant "I don't want to do that", but it actually means "Sure, no problem" Very confusing!
Old 03-28-2011, 05:03 AM

being originally from Connecticut and having lived in south Mississippi for a LONG time, what you said is so true. Even though my daughter had a wreck in during the winter when it snowed in South Carolina, and NO ONE stopped to help her, she called 911 and they told her it would be an hour before they could get to her, she called me in Mississippi I in turned got on Google, found a local wrecker there in SC and arranged from my home to have her picked up and taken home. Once she was home for 20 minutes the cops called her looking for her. She told me, if that had happened in Mississippi, five men in pickups would have stopped and helped her, and this is true.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:09 AM

.... and they don't "take a picture", they "make a picture". And if you're from TN, "might oughta'" applies to most things you want to do.

Love it.