Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need advice from folks with multiple cats

Blog Entries
    Yep they have to figure out their own Pecking Order My calico cat MindySue is 12yrs-30lb of Queenliness She barely tolerates the rest of my furry family a 3yr old Kitten -3yr old Manchester-a12 1/2 yr old Min-Pin - but when she speaks {growl-hiss] they listen--- It really won't take long before they figure out that all of them are loved and they are all staying :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae

Do they make something like this for dogs? It is almost time for the 4th of July celebrations to begin, and I don't look forward to my Molly and the fireworks. I don't like giving her medication, but I will if I have to.
    When I traveled across country moving my cats, I purchased a product called Calm-eze so they wouldn't be horribly upset by the move and long RV. I'm pretty sure it was for dogs also.

Sorry to have hijacked this thread, OP!! But hopefully we ALL will get better grips on being owned my mulitiple cats...
    YES, I tried the plug in phermones...no diff
    We have two litter boxes, there is no other location for a third, there is only peeing accidents, nothing else...

I am pretty sure it is a frustration for Tati and that it's her, but the thing to decide is does SHE go on the meds or does the harrasser, Rory go on them? Would the result be the same if HE stops being so eager to be friends as if she was not so adverse to HAVING friends....

We are going away on vacation at the end of the month, I really cant get anyone on meds till we get back because we wont be around to get them started properly....

the Enzyeme cleaner by Clorox, Oxi Magic, has been the best so far.

I didn't know about the lavender, I have that in the house.

The couch is ruined. I am just trying to extend it's life till we solve the problem, I can't imagine even a serious steam clean will fix it, but I will go that route before tossing...

Back to the OP...I hope you can solve your issues without too much trouble!!!

Yes, time is what it takes. I had 2 older cats (the older died at age 14), adopted 5 kittens that a stray mom had. So the old 1 left is adjusting. She'll let them get close but not too close. 2 of the kittens (they're now 1 yr old) like it outside more than in, they can come go as they please.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by girlsfour
    Cats just do not get along with each other unless they are raised together.
    Sorry - I disagree. I have been doing rescue for YEARS. And I have been handraising orphans (pups and kittens) for over 6 years. No matter the age or sex - they will ALWAYS work it out. Now, how the work it out is in different ways. Their way of working it out may be to just ignore the others. But they do work it out in the manner that is best for them.

My Bella - the one in my avatar <<<< was the last one added. It did not go well for the first couple of months. But now they are all one happy family. It took a while but they definitely love each other.

Let them work it out - what ever that means for them. Like I said before - trim nails while the intros are going on. Cat scratches are more likely than bites that break skin.

OH - and try not to over react when they are fighting. The boys will take that as meaning that you support them in their fight and it will never end.

Lyn
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhboxers
    Quote Originally Posted by girlsfour
    Cats just do not get along with each other unless they are raised together.
    Sorry - I disagree. I have been doing rescue for YEARS. And I have been handraising orphans (pups and kittens) for over 6 years. No matter the age or sex - they will ALWAYS work it out. Now, how the work it out is in different ways. Their way of working it out may be to just ignore the others. But they do work it out in the manner that is best for them.

My Bella - the one in my avatar <<<< was the last one added. It did not go well for the first couple of months. But now they are all one happy family. It took a while but they definitely love each other.

Let them work it out - what ever that means for them. Like I said before - trim nails while the intros are going on. Cat scratches are more likely than bites that break skin.

OH - and try not to over react when they are fighting. The boys will take that as meaning that you support them in their fight and it will never end.
    I totally agree. I have been in rescue for a while also. You have to let them work it out. I had 8 cats, now I have 9. We think an elderly person either died or moved because someone let out an arthritic 14 yr old cat. He had been on his own for some time. Weighed 5 lbs. It was either put him down or bring him into the fold. You have to understand I had just gotten the 8 to get along and then brought in this 9th. I watched as he let everyone know whose boss. It took about 5 days, some it takes longer. Just let them work it out. Oh yeah the sprays etc. to calm them down never worked for me. I spent a fortune on them, would have been better to sink the money into other things. She also needs a king's x. A place where she can go to get away from the boys. Right now it is spring and even if they are neutered it is still hard wired in their brain. Things will calm down I guarantee.

Lyn
    Oh yeah one more thing. I have brought in grown cats who never knew each other that curl up together to sleep.

My Mom has 2 cats...the only thing they fight about is the antique rocker...it's upsetting to her when they fight...but the other day when I walked in, both of them were stretched out, side by side in the rocker...it might take a long time(she's had them both for a couple of years), but they will eventually get use to one another...good luck!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Naomi

I have 7 cats, all indoor. Whenever I introduced a new cat into the household, the others would get upset, hiss, check out the new intruder in their territory. I have two that are declawed (came t hat way) and the others are not declawed. It always took up to a week for the new one to feel comfortable, but right now, I have certain cats that will cuddle up with each other, but o nly certain ones, and the rest just go to other cats. they seem to have their own hierarchy and there is a dominant cat in the house, and I think it is becuase he is the largest and the other cats know it. Eventually, I believe all your cats will get along, but it will take time. Good luck.

Lyn
    Eeyore, my Maine Coon, was the top of the roost until I brought in the arthritic 14 yr old cat Bob. (short for Bag Of Bones)Bob stalks Eeyore but you have to know Bob goes in slow motion. He can't jump but he pulls himself up on the ottoman. To understand how fast Bob moves, my husband saw something black move from his closet. I asked what it was and he said it was Bob's shadow trying to catch up with him from 2 days ago. Anyway my big ferocious Eeyore jumped in my arms almost sobbing because Bob was stalking him. I just shake my head and carry the twenty pound cat to the bed where Bob cannot reach him.

Different cat problem
    I have 2 siblings,that have been good about sharing the litterbox although one is male. Lately the female has escalated from peeing in the front hall, on my husband's
    jeans in the floor in the bathroom,to now pooping in the hall and peeing in my shoe in the bathroom. There hasn't been any thing that I can think of to make her mad,jealous or afraid. They are basically indoor cats but have their cat box in the sun room with a doggy door to the outside. They don't venture out much unless we are out and never leave the yard. We tried confining them to the sun room 2 nights but my husband says he can't stand to see them upset. Any thoughts?

Blog Entries
    well you could try a second litter box, then if that doesnt' help take her to the VET for a ckup.

I have a male and a female cat. They hate eachother most
    days but sometimes he gives her a kiss. Just like a man.

My little Lucky (only 3 legs) puts the run onto our male and
    our daughters male when outside.
    I say give them time. Let them find and choose their own space
    It will happen.

NO don't put a dog in the mix. It'll drive YOU nuts. Just be
    patient with the cats.

Blog Entries
    Wanted to share a home recipe for removing cat urine smell-----it really works. I have tired several of those you buy and those are just scents that cover up and when gone well there remains the smell.
    http://www.catsofaustralia.com/urinestainremoval.htm

Some cats will never get along with other cats no matter what you do. Should that be the case the only answer is separation. My daughter who is a Vet has 11 house cats (vets seem to just be everyone's drop off for unwanted) and she has her 2 old lady cats she calls them that have to stay in a room away from the rest. They do get along well together though. One for a long time would just climb up on the mantel and not get off so she finally just gave in and gave her private room and the other one she added later.

OMG! I thought I was the only one with this problem. I have 4 neutered indoor boys: Oliver Twist (17), the twins Ingo and Kerbe (10) and Spot (9). While we don't have the peeing issue, Spot is like a ghost and no one but my son and I have ever seen him as he lives mostly in the basement. Unfortunately, Spot seems to have a genetic problem in that he can be walking down the hall and just let the poop fly. Yesterday he left me a "gift" on my bathroom rug. He hates me (wonder who he thinks buys his food and cleans the boxes) but loves/adores my son. When we first got him (a request from my vet) he had to be on Valium because he was so hyper and I'll tell ya, I have the medical bills and my son has the scars to prove it. That never worked, but over the years he has calmed down somewhat, not that he'll ever be socialized like the other three. I guess you just have to make the most of what you have. Spot is beautiful, beautiful with looong gossamer hair but, like a two-legged child, I took him for better or worse and have certainly put in my years of "worse." I have no words of wisdom; it's all trial and error. After I retired I worked for a group of 63 Veterinary Pathologists and none of them had any answers either.

Kaz
    Look up DAP and feliway... Hang on
    http://www.healthypets.com/feliwayanddap.html

Quote Originally Posted by sculpyfan
    Different cat problem
    I have 2 siblings,that have been good about sharing the litterbox although one is male. Lately the female has escalated from peeing in the front hall, on my husband's
    jeans in the floor in the bathroom,to now pooping in the hall and peeing in my shoe in the bathroom. There hasn't been any thing that I can think of to make her mad,jealous or afraid. They are basically indoor cats but have their cat box in the sun room with a doggy door to the outside. They don't venture out much unless we are out and never leave the yard. We tried confining them to the sun room 2 nights but my husband says he can't stand to see them upset. Any thoughts?
    I don't think her issue is that she is upset or anything. I this she is just tired of him being 'dirty'. I have had this happen sssoooooooo many times. When my male was a baby and brought into the house (with a 3yo 'Morris"-type female and an 15yo blind/deaf Siamese female) he did not cover his litter box 'deposits'. Tigger would spend HOURS digging and digging and digging to try and make the litter box cleaner. She finally just had it and started going on the mat/rug in front of the box. Kris ((the 15yo) already had her own litter box in our bedroom closet because that was were she generally spent all of her time. So we added a second litter box in the laundry room. Tigger claimed on and Boomer HAD to use the second. Tig would not allow him to even look at HER box. This was after he had been in the house about a year. She had put up with it as long as she could and then she let us know that she was done.

I think she has matured to the point that her brother is just too messy and dirty. I would give her a box of her own - perferably a small distance from the other one - and she will probably be a very happy little girl again. If this doesn't complete change her habits, then try a different litter for her. This may also help with him using her new box. Most males do not like to have their litter changed. Ask me how I found that out? Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen
    Since I am in the middle of CHAOS right now with my three, I am reading along, hoping someone can come up with a solution that works for me, too!!

((( I have Gandolph (an older diabetic) Rory, AKA Mr. Crankypants) and Tatiana (AKA Her Royal Bitchiness.) have all been to the vet and declared healthy. Rory and Tati have both spent a few days at 'sleep-away camp' (boarding at the vet) and while one has been gone Gandolph and the other have been allowing peace and harmony to reign at the Greenhouse.

Now, all three are back together, and we KNOW that someone is peeing out of frustration or to prove a point, not from a medical issue.

Which of the two would you guys think is the most obvious choice to be medicated? And if you have had a cat on an anti-anxiety or chill out pill, what have you used? Rory is the younger, he is a clown and high energy. He is VERY interested in becoming friends with Tatiana. He STALKS her, he wants to be NEAR her. Tatiana is about 10, she is a hisser, she isn't as lovely-dovey kind of animal.

Also, it's not possible to separate them in different parts of the house. There are doors only on the bathroom and the bedrooms, and they are not allowed in two of the three bedrooms because of peeing issues. But. We need to end this peeing thing. It's got to stop. If both should be on something, so be it, but something must give. Tati was here first, Gandolph and Rory came together a year and a half ago, and this has been an issue for about 7 months...

I wouldn't care if they carried on, hissed and swatted and fought, I get that...its the peeing that is making me nuts!)
    From my experience, the boy is the one that is peeing. However, put a bowl of dry food over where the cat pee'd. If he or she pees in another spot put another bowl of food over that spot. They won't pee where they eat and they eventually stop. It worked for my male cat when he was young and trying to establish himself in a female cat household. Can't hurt to try.

I have Missy (I think, she's been gone for about 10 days now), Lil Miss (looks like Missy with same dispostion), Scotch (aka Butterscotch color, yellow eyes), Midas (same yellow, but has green eyes), Ace (long hair, Maine Coon breed with white stripe down his face like Ace from KISS), Bandit (black and white and a momma's boy (I'm momma), Tippy (female yellow and white with tips of white on her ears) and Casper (male looks like Tippy but is a 'Friendly' cat). All are fixed. But Lil Miss chases and swats Tippy. Scotch doesn't like Lil Miss and she's afraid of him. Ace is laid back. Lil Miss is mean to all the cats. And may have run one of them off (Missy). Missy is the mom or grandmom to all of them.

Best thing I can tell you is to not interfer when they finally get their fur in an uproar. You can't prevent it. It's like chickens. They have to establish their pecking order. Until they do, they will swat, tackle, scratch and hiss at each other. Just stand clear and hope it doesn't last long.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyn
    Eeyore, my Maine Coon, was the top of the roost until I brought in the arthritic 14 yr old cat Bob. (short for Bag Of Bones)Bob stalks Eeyore but you have to know Bob goes in slow motion. He can't jump but he pulls himself up on the ottoman. To understand how fast Bob moves, my husband saw something black move from his closet. I asked what it was and he said it was Bob's shadow trying to catch up with him from 2 days ago. Anyway my big ferocious Eeyore jumped in my arms almost sobbing because Bob was stalking him. I just shake my head and carry the twenty pound cat to the bed where Bob cannot reach him.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Don't we just love our babies?

Lyn, you give some really good advice. So here's one for you. I have a 9 year old very small female princess (tuxedo cat). I got her when my sister died for comfort and I spoiled the crap out of her, I also had a large male cat who was 7 at the time she came along and we just put him down at 16 because of medical issues, anyway, they got along fine, but she was starting to bother him because he was old and she wasn't.

With the older cat gone, my female is lonely, I think, because she is sleeping in his spots where his smell is. Will she get over it or do I need to run out and get another cat for her and will she accept another cat at this point. Is it ok to be a one cat household or do they really want company?

Blog Entries
    I want to thank everyone for all these wonderful suggestions. I'm going to try each and every one and see what works for me. I'll let you know!

I'm also loving the stories that come with the remedies! Keep them coming :thumbup:

I sure got alot out of this post as well, I'll keep checking back for updates.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62
    With the older cat gone, my female is lonely, I think, because she is sleeping in his spots where his smell is. Will she get over it or do I need to run out and get another cat for her and will she accept another cat at this point. Is it ok to be a one cat household or do they really want company?
    So sad :cry: Is she still eating? I think she'll get over him if you don't want another cat. Cats are adaptable. I thought my Sam would be upset when my grandson moved out of the house but he follows me around the house foot to foot everywhere I go! Trips me down the stairs and up the stairs, follows me into the bathroom (he knows how to open the door and lays in the sink until I'm done), if I sit down he's in my lap then on my shoulder like a baby needing to be burped and his brother is not much better.

let her have her space in the basement, but leave the door open. If there are fights, let them have at it, get some feliaway plug ins for temper tantrum easing, they are not cheap. But they do work, my 3 , 2 boys are large and the little girl is small, she hates one male as he bites her to get his way, his previous owner had him declawed, She is the sweetest thing, but all of a sudden she stays up front and the boys stay in my bed, found tooth bite son her. she hisses and bats at him, but when he bites, she runs and keeps to herself. keep a bottle of spray water on hand to disclipine. the plugins are at petsmart or petco

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast