Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need feedback on mattresses

Blog Entries
    I need to shop for a mattress too. I am dreading it. I highly recommend getting one that you can flip. The one we have doesn't flip and I feel like it wears out faster. I had a pillow top mattress and hated it. My DD loved it and needed a new mattress and I gave it to her. It is so hard to compare mattresses because even if you shop the same brand from store to store they have different names so they are hard to compare. My DS highly recommends a Tempurpedic. You do need to consider the number of coils and the gage of wire they are made of. It is all so confusing you almost need a degree in mattresses to shop for one. Good luck.

Have you looked into a Sleep Number bed? You can change the softness or hardness of the mattress by just the touch of a button. As your hip heals this would be a great feature for you. They come is all shapes and sizes, I think even an adjustable type bed. Ask your Dr about it first, but I think you would be very happy with one.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Webought a new mattress few months back and doesn't feel any different than the last one. DH thinks it'sdifferent and I ask him then why do you still end up on the couch to get the kinks out. We were also told that it shouldn't give any more than couple inches. Well guess what how about a good 6"? We did need a new mattress but no difference in it from last one. Hate shopping for mattresses,

Blog Entries
    My DH bought the type with the Sleep Number mattress years ago and we LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! It took a bit of testing to find my number, but now I know (once a year, MAYBE) when it loses some air.. I wake up stiff! When I check the number, yep... not on my number. I adjust and months go by before I need to adjust again. We won't ever use any other mattress.
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

The last sentence is absolutely right. They do last longer.

Blog Entries
    DO NOT JUST QUICKLY SIT OR LIE DOWN ON A MATTRESS, ROLL AROUND ON IT, TWIST, TURN, SIT UP, LIE BACK. Sorry about the all caps, but I can not stress enough how important it is to really try out the mattress first, but actually trying it in every conceivable way before you make a choice. My DD bought a new mattress and insisted I come try it out. It happened to be a pillow top, which is not on your list, but this makes my point for me. She still raves about that silly mattress, but when I lie on it, I can't move, and my back just screams with pain. See if the seller offers a "money back try out period" would be my best suggestion.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

No suggestions on mattresses, but I have a suggestion regarding your hip replacement. I had mine in 2005 and my orthopedist suggested putting a bed pillow between my legs when laying on your side. The pillow keeps your hips in neutral position (ankles, knees and hips in straight line) and makes turning over so much easier. Ask your doctor if this would work for you. (I slept with the pillow for about 6 months).

Good luck on your mattress shopping. One thing I do recommend, is a flippable mattress. Most pillow tops can't be flipped. Also, pillow tops can be thicker than non-pillow tops and you will need extra-depth sheets. Regular sheets will pop off on the corners.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Blog Entries
    I have severe back problems, degenerative disc disease, sciatica, dorsal nerve stims, upper and lower. 9 spinal surgeries, and a mess of other things. Memory foam saved my life. I swear by it. got about 6" of it on my bed. can't live without it.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2