Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need frying pan handle cover details

Blog Entries

Need frying pan handle cover details

I did a craft show this past weekend and more than one shopper ask for these. I have a general idea on how to make but would like to hear other ideas. Fast and Simple, please. TIA, Annie

Power Poster
    I have seen them made from the square put holders with the hanging loop. You simply fold the pot holder in half and top stitch down one side and the bottom. Voila! handle cover with a little loop for hanging.

I made a few for my own use (gas stove, metal handles - ouch!) - just made them like a padded eye glass case.

I've had mine for years...because i mostly cook with a cast iron skillet. Bought inexpensive pot holders, folded in half and sewed up one side and along one end. Most started out as 6 x 6 potholders. Done a little "fancier" they make great small gifts.
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

There is a free pattern at So Sew Easy. Just search "hot pan handle"

I make them for sale tables from potholders but I use the Lodge pan handle cover. They are dishwasher safe and heat will not penetrate. A big seller at the last craft show I went to was the round lid covers. I didn't buy one, wish I did now to see how it was made. I do know a pony tail band was used for the elastic.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I make them for sale tables from potholders but I use the Lodge pan handle cover. They are dishwasher safe and heat will not penetrate. A big seller at the last craft show I went to was the round lid covers. I didn't buy one, wish I did now to see how it was made. I do know a pony tail band was used for the elastic.
    ....round lid cover ? I'm not sure I know why? Made from fabric, for storage? Sorry for this silly question...maybe I need another cup of coffee!

round know pot holder

I make these pot holders. Good for crockpots. I just leave mine on the pot while cooking. (Ignore the needlebook next to it on the picture.) These take about 7 minutes to make.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by lawsonmugs View Post
    I make these pot holders. Good for crockpots. I just leave mine on the pot while cooking. (Ignore the needlebook next to it on the picture.) These take about 7 minutes to make.
    I never seen this thing before but I like it. Is there elastic inside?

Love this idea for the crockpot - which I use frequently! Is this your own design/pattern, or is it available somewhere?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Was about to throw a worn out hot pad away. Made couple stitch lines down middle cut in between and now have 2 handle pads.

The crockpot potholder is a pattern I found a few yrs. ago online. It was free so I guess it's OK to share it. First cut 2 pieces of fabric in a 8-9" circle. Also cut a piece of flannel or heavy interfacing the same size. .(just to give a little thickness for heat protection) Usually this kind of potholder doesn't get used on really hot items like something from the hot oven. Layer the fabric right sides together then flannel on top. Sew all around leaving about 1 inch open for turning. Turn right side out. I use a old CD to draw a circle in the center. then make another circle 1/2" in side of that first one. Sew all around on these lines.(this makes a casing for the elastic) First sew all around the edge of holder and catch the opening in . You should have a flat round thin potholder. with 2 circles sewn inside. Now cut a small slit in 1 layer of fabric between the 2 circles with a seam ripper. Thread a 1/8" wide piece of elastic through the slit and around the casing. When your at the other end gather and tie the elastic off tight. slide the knot inside the slit. tah dah your done and it's reversible. It sounds like a lot but really is very easy and quick. I sometimes use iron batting or fleece instead of flannel. Good luck and if I can help let me know. Mary
    Mary

Blog Entries
    'round lid cover ? I'm not sure I know why? Made from fabric, for storage? Sorry for this silly question...maybe I need another cup of coffee! '
    Now I am curious--what is this and what is it use?
    Thanks to all for replying to my question on frying pan handle.

annievee, It is a little potholder- like for a crock pot lid

It's kind of shaped like a shower cap with a brim and it sets on the knob,not the whole lid.lol.
    Mary

Thank you for the detailed info. I've saved it and will have to play around with it to see if I come up with the cover as cute and practical as yours. I suppose putting Insulbrite in it would make it too stiff to hug the lid knob efficiently?

Blog Entries
    Got It--thanks everyone for the input.
    Lawsonmugs--thank you, will definitely try your pattern-nice to have something new on craft table, thanks, annie

The insulbrite works fine. I found I like the potholder a little thinner. Since the lid know doesn't get real hot it works fine. Your welcome I love to share when I can.
    Mary

sorry that's lid knob not know.lol
    Mary