Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need help and encouragement...

This is me, too, with the exception I don't go lie down, I just some other web page to get lost at!!

Do you have a smart phone? I just got an iphone, and the app that I am happiest with is called Home Routines.

It's something like Flylady, without her annoying emails.
    You have the ability to totally customize it to the things you need/want to do and when, and you earn a gold star for every task you complete!

Simple, really, there is a list of individual items to to, that you KNOW need doing, that you KNOW will usually take no time at all. They just need to get DONE.

So, do them, give yourself a star, and look to see what you might want to do next. There is even a 15 minute timer so you can make yourself plug away till the alarm goes off.

Biggest issue? Remembering to open the app!!

Oh, I do the same thing. If I HAVE to get something done, like clean I make a list by room. So, I say I am going to spend X amount of time doing the kitchen, and I do not quit until the time is up. I make it for an amount of time I know I will need to clean it. I make myself stick to the one thing. When the time is up, I can then go and do what I want.

Sadly the dust does not bother me, or hubby (thank goodness) but when we are expecting company I want my house to sparkle. So...this weekend we are having company, and I will be making my list, so everything is done before they arrive.

I just hate to clean, I think is the issue, and I to be honest, dust makes me sick, I have asthma and dusting just makes me so sick. So, my hubby does alot of the dusting, and my daughter will come over and do it for me too.

And I live in Phoenix, which has to be the dustiest place I have ever lived !!!!

Blog Entries
    Since retiring I have become a Flitter Bug-I always worked 12 hr days my house was clean-I had time to work on quilts.And I can't blame it on the computer I only started playing with one a few days before joining the QB..I can't blame it old old age I'm only 55 ---Drats now I have to find some thing else to blame this on -- :idea:

If you live alone, what does it matter how you choose to spend your time?

Blog Entries
    I'm so glad you mentioned this. I'm appreciating all the suggestions. Of course, I'll actually have to put some in practice, but they are great thoughts!

Blog Entries
    I am a flitter too!

Blog Entries
    Make a list and stick to it... as you see other things that need attention...make a new list for when the first list is completed. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Amythyst02
    Oh, I do the same thing. If I HAVE to get something done, like clean I make a list by room. So, I say I am going to spend X amount of time doing the kitchen, and I do not quit until the time is up. I make it for an amount of time I know I will need to clean it. I make myself stick to the one thing. When the time is up, I can then go and do what I want.

Sadly the dust does not bother me, or hubby (thank goodness) but when we are expecting company I want my house to sparkle. So...this weekend we are having company, and I will be making my list, so everything is done before they arrive.

I just hate to clean, I think is the issue, and I to be honest, dust makes me sick, I have asthma and dusting just makes me so sick. So, my hubby does alot of the dusting, and my daughter will come over and do it for me too.

And I live in Phoenix, which has to be the dustiest place I have ever lived !!!!
    Didn't you guys just get hit with this gigantic dust storm? Saw it on TV...big wall of dirt bearing down on Phoenix.

Talk to your medical care Dr. He can't help unless you are up front about what you are experiencing.

I think many of us do the same thing. You have to chose/prioritize your battles. Make a list in order of importance. Allow yourself to finish one thing, and to 'hit the high spots' on others. Make a schedual, and tweak it a bit as needed.

and learn to make meals that you can assemble and walk away while they cook. For meals that need some attention while cooking, I do dishes, or clean the kitchen floor.
    I iron fabric while my favorite shows are on TV. Then I don't feel guilty for watching TV when I have stuff to do.

My solution that has been most effective is to have a small pad and pencil available in each and every room of the house. As I'm involved in a project and another idea hits, I immediately write it down, put a date on it and stuff it in my pocket. There. I won't forget it now and can stay on task.

At the end of the day, I take all those slips and put them in a box. Occasionally, I'll sort through them and prioritize those more important ones (or ones I really, really want to do) toward the top.

I get so much more done this way and I'm not walking around with all that in my head.

Sorry can't help.I'm exactly the same.

Nanna, Try starting in room furthest away from the front door and don't let anything stop you till its done, then move to the next room. Close the door behind you when it is done, and first thing you know its all finished. Remember to get help with the heavy stuff

Blog Entries
    Oh, how many of us are out there? If we made a club, we could form our own political party - IF we could get to the meetings! :wink:
    Debbie

I had always been very focused and detail oriented until menopause hit and now I can't seem to get to the bathroom without a hall pass. I have two adult sons that have had ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) since they were children and they just laugh and say "welcome to the club". It drives me NUTS! By the end of the day I am exhausted but don't feel like I get anything completed. Often I feel like I just start another project and then have more to do the next day. We have scaled down our home and gotten rid of a lot of stuff I know I will never get to but have kept the quilting supplies as that is my main interest. I think we still have way more than we need and I would love to dispense with more of it. Time to have a yard sale I think. Ann in TN

Exercise. Get out for a walk every day. It calms the mind.

My house is a mess right now. Now that I'm into quilting and lessons, I can't get into cleaning. When I do, I make a schedule of which rooms get done on a certain day. I set the timer for about an hour and when it goes off I see how much I've gotten done. When my chores for that day are done, I put the cleaning supplies away and go back to reading about quilting or attempting to piece something.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher
    If you live alone, what does it matter how you choose to spend your time?
    LOL, well, I'm a Perfectionist with a Type A personality...always have been. Kinda had myself retrained since I became disabled to not let things bother me. Hmmm, that's not working anymore!! And I have family that just doesn't understand when they come over why everything is a mess...notwithstanding that I have my grandbabies a couple of times a week!! I just want someone to come go thru my house and throw things out! Basically let me start over. I just look around, make lists and then I get so tired, I just give up. :(

try www.flylady.org

Blog Entries
    What's wrong with a little bit of flitting? I flit all the time. I'll start one thing and then be-bop right around the corner and start somethingelse. I've always flitted!! So why quit now??/

Quote Originally Posted by SparkMonkey
    I'm sorry to say it, but research has shown that modern technology... like the internet... has reduced our attention spans and made it more difficult for us to focus. I don't think there's a quick fix, but I do know that the less time I spend online, the better able I am to stick to one task and give it my full attention.

I'm not saying give up the internet completely, but maybe set aside a certain amount of time per day and stick to it? I also try to unplug at least one day a week. I don't go online at all unless it's necessary for work.
    I jump from one thing to another and thought I was the only one. I do have to say however... that our internet was down one whole day last week. It drove me nuts but I organized all my clothes that were going to the Goodwill. I guess I have an internet addiction!

No really helpful suggestions that someone else hasn't already posted, but like so many who have responded, I have the same problem. I think, though, that some of it comes from simply having too much to do. All these things distract you because they all need to be dealt with and no one else is going to do it if you don't. My biggest problem is that I find it hard to carve out time to do the things I really like doing because I never really finish with the routine maintenance stuff.

Welcome to my world. Boy, I did not know that so many people were in my boat. I have fibromyalgia and just blame it on the fog and meds I take. I am amazed that I have so much company. It is somewhat comforting. I used to be so productive and accomplished a lot. I believe it is mind overload...so much to do so you don't get anything done. If anyone knows the cure, please share.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 1screech
    Welcome to my world. Boy, I did not know that so many people were in my boat. I have fibromyalgia and just blame it on the fog and meds I take. I am amazed that I have so much company. It is somewhat comforting. I used to be so productive and accomplished a lot. I believe it is mind overload...so much to do so you don't get anything done. If anyone knows the cure, please share.
    We could be twins! And I don't think there is a cure for us. I also have Fibro and between changing meds all the time and dealing with the pain and Fibro Fog, I just walk around in a daze. :(

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast