Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need help with ideas for cultural week at high school >

Need help with ideas for cultural week at high school

Need help with ideas for cultural week at high school

Old 04-12-2018, 06:37 AM

Default Need help with ideas for cultural week at high school

Hello my friends,
DS teaches grades 9 - 12. The school is having a 'cultural week' this spring. He needs to dress accordingly! He has a shirt that is African themed - I just had to let out the seams as much as I could.

Any ideas for other ethnic clothing/costumes that are easy to sew or put together?

Thanks so much!
Old 04-12-2018, 07:38 AM

Send him with a hand crank and tell that not everywhere has reliable electricity.

T tunics, Capes are common
Old 04-12-2018, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

The one I would choose would be my kilt. You could look through the Olympics opening ceremonies for ideas. Everyone here is wearing hockey jerseys for Humboldt today.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
The one I would choose would be my kilt. You could look through the Olympics opening ceremonies for ideas. Everyone here is wearing hockey jerseys for Humboldt today.
We, here in Manitoba, are wearing hockey jerseys or green and yellow for Humbolt today too...

A kilt would be a good idea but they are not easy to make!
Old 04-12-2018, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Trisher View Post
We, here in Manitoba, are wearing hockey jerseys or green and yellow for Humbolt today too...

A kilt would be a good idea but they are not easy to make!
Real kilts use anywhere from 8-12 yds of wool/wool blend. And the pattern companies (at least US) are not making a new pattern so you end up buying on eBay and it's about $11-15 for a used pattern! My son wanted one for birthday and I ended up buying a wool/acrylic blend via the internet from a company in Scotland for $80--figured that was a lot less than 12 yd of wool!

Can you get your hands on some Haiwaiian print for a "South Seas" shirt? I'd maybe be looking for some hats--i.e. like the round pointy ones you saw on VN farmers and he could wear with "scrubs"; or a flat brimmed cowboy hat like the gauchos of Argentina wear and then wear with jeans and a buttoned up shirt and string tie & boots; or a robe like the men wear in the Middle East. Or a saddle blanket made into a poncho with a cowboy hat for Central America. Or if he has tall boots, he could tuck his widest legged pants into the boots and wear a loose button up shirt or one that pulls over like a tunic and then you can fashion a round hat like we;ve seen worn by Russian Cossacks.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:13 PM

Are you looking for ideas for the students or for your son to wear for the week?

I would be worried about cultural appropriation if he wears clothes that do not represent his personal family background. So the question is, what is his family background? Look for clothes that represent that.

If English, he could have fun with a red jacket, black slacks and fuzzy hat to represent a palace guard. If Scottish a Kilt would work if he has one, if not what about a tartan vest? Irish an Aran sweater. German, from the south Lederhosen, Beret and white/black striped long sleeves t-shirt for France.

I think I would take an easy way out and either applique an inexpensive t-shirt, or make a vest for each day. Or find a hat for each day.

It sounds like a great activity for the school. My university has 'World' Days in the Fall. Students from different countries had a fashion show put to music from their home country. It was quite incredible to see all the different clothes. I was especially amazed by the Korean dresses.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:41 AM

Cowboy=American. Tongue in cheek.

kimono

Native American Indian

Kilt=plaid wool pleated skirt would work...hit the resale shops. IMHO

Hawaiian shirts are in the stires now...Kohls has them

Sombreros

have fun!

Sandy

Last edited by Sandygirl; 04-13-2018 at 02:44 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:49 AM

Wow, that would mean the students would have to "dress" in something other that ripped jeans or short shorts!
Old 04-14-2018, 09:40 AM

Clarify for me? Are you seeking an African traditional costume? Which country? A little more information would help answer this question. Is he seeking “authentic” or “Hollywood version”? Thank you.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:41 AM

Africa is a big continent with 54 countries. It's easy because he has a themed shirt but of what culture, exactly, would it be representative? Northwestern Indiginous people have a very interesting culture. You could copy the outline of an Orca or just a simple totem and applique something like that on a shirt? Good luck.