Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need Help with taming a stray KITTEN!! HELP!

Blog Entries
    One thing I learned is to go to pet her with your hand palm side up. Like you are gonna hold her head in the palm of your hand. That way she won't feel scared like maybe you may hit her. See what I mean? Our vet told me that. HOpe it helps. Our daughter adopted an abused little dog 2 weeks ago. Very scared of every move and sound. Today she is a happy , happy little dog. She now rules the roost. heehee
    Stitching is Meditation in Motion

Thank you everyone for the many suggestions ~ my grandson has named the kitty "Comet" he says her markings are like a comet ~ she is a calico and has already let him sit and talk softly and pet her, she eats cat food so I think she isn't any older than 3 months. I have already contacted my vet and he said that as soon as I can get her in she should be checked for tape worm as if she has eaten mice while stray many mice carry the tape worm and can pass it on.

Every day since she has been with us she seems to be getting much calmer and really looks forward to grandson coming and talking and petting ~ grandson is 15 yrs old and very gentle with animals, he has made the kitten his project to tame her. When we moved into our home someone threw a yellow kitten out into our yard and we rescued him and he was with us for 12 yrs he mas a mancoon and what a cat ~ we think he thought he was a dog not a cat and was he ever a lovable cat. We miss him very much so maybe Comet will be just as thankful that we rescued her.

Blog Entries
    Glad to hear everything is working out. We adopted a barn cat over a year ago. He hasn't been outside since! Haha! Won't even go near the door...probably figures HE GOT IT GOOD!

Follows me around like a shadow!

Nan
    https://napquilting.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/NAPQuilting/

My GOAL is to ALWAYS ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

It just takes time and lots of love. Good luck.

We had that happen years ago. We couldn't get the kitten to trust us. I finally took a towel and wrapped the kitten - claws and all - in the towel like a bunting and pet his head and neck and it took a while but he finally realized that I would not harm him. We had him for 14 years and he was the best cat. We miss Tigger a lot. So trust is what the kitten needs and you will probably have a wonderful pet.

We've had a stray tuxedo in our home now for nearly two years. She is very friendly with my five other indoor kitties, but she stays far away from me. She will not allow us to even walk close to her. I speak gently and offer her food - she keeps her distance until I set the bowl down and walk away.

Blog Entries
    she must be petted often though to get used to you. I took in a mama cat and her two girls. mama and one kitten finally came into our house to eat instead of the attached garage. but the other kitten wouldn't do so. I thought to just wait and give her time. Well it's taken her years to be comfortable being petted while she eats and to let me pick her up. I only got her to the Vet twice. found out he was a she then too!! big girl!! so pay attention to her often and love on her all you can. then, time will also help.

Power Poster
    The more time you spend with her the more she will trust you...Speak soft and give her good food and treats.....I had a cat for 17 and a half years that was a stray..It took time to tame her but she turned out to be a great cat....

Blog Entries
    yes, to my still fraidy cat-open fingers to her mean I am trying to pick her up. I curl my fingers in and pet her head which she absolutely loves. then her body down to her tail. sometimes I put one had under her belly and pet her with the other. I started out petting her with a fly swatter!! she loved that and the rest is history. she's a Darlin but just scares easily. she is six yrs old now. I believe she is a Norwegian Forest breed. Time and trust are a must. good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2