Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need Help with taming a stray KITTEN!! HELP! >

Need Help with taming a stray KITTEN!! HELP!

Need Help with taming a stray KITTEN!! HELP!

Old 04-07-2013, 06:46 AM

We've had a stray tuxedo in our home now for nearly two years. She is very friendly with my five other indoor kitties, but she stays far away from me. She will not allow us to even walk close to her. I speak gently and offer her food - she keeps her distance until I set the bowl down and walk away.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

she must be petted often though to get used to you. I took in a mama cat and her two girls. mama and one kitten finally came into our house to eat instead of the attached garage. but the other kitten wouldn't do so. I thought to just wait and give her time. Well it's taken her years to be comfortable being petted while she eats and to let me pick her up. I only got her to the Vet twice. found out he was a she then too!! big girl!! so pay attention to her often and love on her all you can. then, time will also help.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

The more time you spend with her the more she will trust you...Speak soft and give her good food and treats.....I had a cat for 17 and a half years that was a stray..It took time to tame her but she turned out to be a great cat....
Old 04-09-2013, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

yes, to my still fraidy cat-open fingers to her mean I am trying to pick her up. I curl my fingers in and pet her head which she absolutely loves. then her body down to her tail. sometimes I put one had under her belly and pet her with the other. I started out petting her with a fly swatter!! she loved that and the rest is history. she's a Darlin but just scares easily. she is six yrs old now. I believe she is a Norwegian Forest breed. Time and trust are a must. good luck.