Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need ideas -- PLEASE -- for hostess gift >

Need ideas -- PLEASE -- for hostess gift

Need ideas -- PLEASE -- for hostess gift

Old 01-30-2013, 05:18 AM

I like the idea of a gift basket with wine, chocolates, gormet nuts and pretzels - I can get them at various stores here but like to make my own. And to make it extra special I include a cheese "tray" and a little spreader. I make the cheese tray myself, or almost. I take an empty wine bottle to a local bead and jewelry store that fuses glass. They melt the wine bottle flat and if the bottle is clear I will have them fuse some colored glass on the bottle. After they are flat I decorate the next of the flattened bottle with silver wire and beads. Everyone loves it!
Old 01-30-2013, 05:43 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Does either of them love to cook? Olive oil stores are popping up everywhere, and not only do they have oils, they have flavored balsamic vinegars that are fabulous. I am partial to the blood orange olive oil and chocolate balsamic on a spinach salad.

If they don't cook, I would go with the gourmet basket above. If it's something you can't carry with you, I would order it online and have it sent after with a thank you note. My father-in-law loves the baskets I send him from iGourmet.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:26 AM

I am thinking if you can make them a nice sized lap quilt in colors that compliment either their decor or color preference you cannot go wrong. As collectors they would appreciate a handmade item more than anything else. They will understand and appreciate the personal effort and skill it takes to create something. In Denver a lap quilt will be appreciated even if it is just a quilt to keep in the car. If you don't know about their colors go with some basic color dark/light combination and you cannot go wrong. Good luck and enjoy your trip.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:01 PM

You can't go wrong with all the suggestions you have to choose from. Some handmade would be appreciated. In addition to things already mentioned, how about one of the shoulder warmers (filled with rice) that can be heated in the microwave. Those CO temps would make a comfort item special.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:38 PM

There are some amazing handmade cutting boards out of lots of different woods, or a handturned wooden bowl. If you have time you could make them a table runner with matching dinner napkins.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:23 PM

WOW. When I posed this question, I knew I would get some good ideas, but I am simply blown away by the thoughtful, considerate and meaningful ideas everyone has suggested. My DH and I eagerly look forward to checking this thread every morning to see what new ideas are waiting for us. Many, Many thanks to each of you who took the time to think about this and respond.

I LOVE this board!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:57 PM

If they are that wealthy they have access to all the amenities money can buy and are probably well stocked already. I really like the idea of a quilt because it suggests you cared enough to put the time, effort and thought into making it. And it will be a one of a kind, not likely to be duplicated, gift. Lap size would be fine.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:00 PM

If you run out of time...what about a nice basket of fruit from Edible Arrangement? They have the highest quality of fruit and do a VERY nice job. MY daughter bought one for me a while ago and we devoured it in a short time. Loved every bite especially the chocolate covered strawberries.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by gramma nancy View Post
We are going to visit friends in Boulder, CO to attend the Conference on World Affairs in April. I am at a total loss as to what to take for a hostess gift. We will be there almost a week, they are shuttling us to and from the Denver airport and loaning us a car for the duration. Needless to say, they deserve a very nice hostess gift.
Any ideas?? Thank you to anyone with a suggestion.
when you are Boulder do not forget to go to the tea house and take your hostess family . it was fun when we went there and is so unusual. i would also take a homemade quilty item too.
kathy
Old 01-31-2013, 02:48 AM

I love Harry & David. Send them a "tower" of fruits, nuts, etc. they come in all sizes and their product is wonderful. Since they already have "stuff", food makes sense to me. The items in a Tower are individually wrapped and packaged.
You can go to their website and shop online.

Sandy