Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need ideas -- PLEASE -- for hostess gift >

Need ideas -- PLEASE -- for hostess gift

Need ideas -- PLEASE -- for hostess gift

Old 01-31-2013, 09:10 AM

If you have time make a sm quilt that can be used for any occasion.
You can make one and ask if they would donate to a good cause.
If they have grand children,make them a quilt for the grandchildren.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:27 AM

If you or someone you know scrapbooks/makes cards - how about some wonderful one of a kind cards maybe for different occasions? I have a friend who does this and they are truly wonderful. It would give them some one of a kind cards to use.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:16 PM

You can adopt an animal at the Denver Zoo in their name. Its very popular in the Metro area. I hope you have a wonderful time while you are here. The weather should be warm in April, but we have been know to have 30" of snow in April. Pack a jacket.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:28 PM

I am an engineer, my co-workers are all male, and when I get invited to dinner at one of their homes I like to bring something homemade. Most guys will bring flowers or wine as a hostess gift. I made embroidered tea towels on nice kona cotton (tone on tone) tied together with a satin ribbon. Every one of the wives were awed and truly touched. They were so used to getting other things that they never received a homemade gift.

For a wedding gift once (which would work here since it is a bigger gift) I made two sets of embroidered white towels, (bath/hand/face) with GUEST embroidered on them in white on white. Then got a large basket with a lid (from Michaels) and rolled up the towels, put small bottles of shampoo/conditioner/body soap in it. It was a guest basket for them to place out for guests. It was a really cool gift and my friend who got it actually cried (male friend) cause it was so sweet. Most people forget to have sets for guests, or use the mismatched whatnots in the linen closet. I liked this enough I made one for myself. and with the closed basket, it stays fresh and ready for next use, and looks pretty in the meantime.

But I vote for a lap/throw quilt. Homemade items to me are so very special, and rare. Not to mention all the love stitched into them.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by gramma nancy View Post
We are going to visit friends in Boulder, CO to attend the Conference on World Affairs in April. I am at a total loss as to what to take for a hostess gift. We will be there almost a week, they are shuttling us to and from the Denver airport and loaning us a car for the duration. Needless to say, they deserve a very nice hostess gift.

One of the problems is that our hosts, whom we have known forever, are fairly wealthy and need NOTHING. They travel widely and have a home liberally decorated with lovely things from around the world. I am bad at thinking of hostess gifts at the best of times, but this one has me stumped.

I have thought of sending flowers to be delivered just before we arrive. They don't garden (and have a service to cut the grass, etc.) so my idea of flower bulbs won't work for them. We sometimes take our hosts out to eat when we are visiting someone, and will in this case, but that hardly seems adequate for their generous hospitality.

Any ideas?? Thank you to anyone with a suggestion.
Do you have access to photos of the couple and special events in their family? (probably someone in their family has posted many photos to Facebook.) Download the photos and make a quilt wall hanging (any size) that showcases these photos. This is something that money cannot buy!! They'll love it and treasure it forever. I made a wall hanging of a similar type for my brother in law and am now making one for my son in law's BD. They both are very wealthy and there is nothing of substance I can purchase for them, but these wall hangings are treasured by all who have received them.