Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need a Machine for Adrian's Scout patches >

Need a Machine for Adrian's Scout patches

Need a Machine for Adrian's Scout patches

Old 10-18-2011, 05:38 AM

I've sewed hundreds of patches on for many people. On shirts use a heaver needle and sew inside the border, on an army blanket, I sewed them on using a Featherweigth machine. Just sew inside the embroidery.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:11 AM
Banned

scout patches don't need to be sewn on..you can use Aleene's OK to wash it glue just fine..or even a fusible webbing! THe glue works the best though!
Old 10-18-2011, 06:16 AM

As others said, make sure you use the right needle. Must be very sharp and strong. Good needles cost a bit, but if they will make your machine sew those on, you won't have to purchase another machine. Read up on needles and uses. Very important. They can make or break a project.

It's not like in the 60's when I used one needle for everything and never changed it unless it broke, which they hardly ever did. Guess we didn't have as many different fabrics back then, and maybe the needles were made differently.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lenette
As others said, make sure you use the right needle. Must be very sharp and strong. Good needles cost a bit, but if they will make your machine sew those on, you won't have to purchase another machine. Read up on needles and uses. Very important. They can make or break a project.

It's not like in the 60's when I used one needle for everything and never changed it unless it broke, which they hardly ever did. Guess we didn't have as many different fabrics back then, and maybe the needles were made differently.

Whoopsie! I still do that (hangs head)
Old 10-18-2011, 06:52 AM

Sometimes if you iron the patch on first to soften up that glue and then sew it's much easier. I do patches for my son who is a cop. I've never had any trouble with doing them with either of my machines.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:25 AM

we had 19 girls that went from brownies to juniors years ago. We bought them the sashes, new troop #'s, & 2 other patches. HOT GLUED all on to all sashes-never lost any patches! 1 girl had a little trouble, we just hit it again w/ hot glue!Just make sure you have something under it so you don't get on everything, if it should go thru!
Old 10-18-2011, 08:47 AM

How about sewing Velcro to the shirt and patch (well, the ones on the arms). The patch can have the loopy side and the shirt can have the other. Then the patches don't have to go in the washing machine and it makes it easier when they go from one leadership position to another. Or maybe that would just be when they get into Boy Scouts. I hope that helps!
Old 10-18-2011, 11:12 AM

They have some stuff at the scoutstuff.com site that you don't even have to sew it on. It's called badge magic. I can sew a really straight seam with my lovely old lady, but some things are just easier with the badge magic. Especially trying to sew those itty bitty patches on the equally small front pocket. The scout store also has a plastic compartment for the Bobcat, Tiger, Wolf and Bear badges that they slip in and it buttons like the working toward ranks thingy. Hope this helps.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:15 PM

OK first answer... The "gifted" machine was given to her mom with permission from the one who gave it. I felt it would at least be used and maybe bring some comfort to her mom and she would have a more tangible connection to Cath.

I will have to look for those holders. I have NOT seen them and the scout store down in Des Moines, IA. But I am sure that they do not have everything out there. The badge magic stuff sounds very interesting.

Thanks again for the ideas! Ya' never seem to fail when asked. Kinda like when I get "gun" questions. HAHAHA!!!!

Thanks again everyone. As I have said MANY TIMES AND WILL CONTINUE to say: This site and the folks who make up this "community" hold a very special place in my life.
Arron(Cathy's badly and sad sewing Newbie! :))
Old 10-18-2011, 01:36 PM

My Girl Scout patches back in the 70's had such a stiff, hard edge that I would be afraid to use other than a regular sized machine; I'd be afraid of damaging the lightweights.