Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need a Machine for Adrian's Scout patches >

Need a Machine for Adrian's Scout patches

Need a Machine for Adrian's Scout patches

Old 10-18-2011, 03:46 PM

you could also look on craigslist.org and your local goodwill or other stores like that. Here is one that needs the foot pedal and power cord http://omaha.craigslist.org/art/2649718525.html
Old 10-18-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Joanie2
Ok, I've shown this quilt a few times before. But this time I want to tell you that EVERY patch was sewn by me using my Elna Quilter's Dream. Don't buy a machine just to sew patches. Simply stitch just inside the satin edging using a denim needle. It worked for me and it can work for you. Save your money for more fabric, patterns, a class or just something fun.
Amen, I have sewn hundreds of Boy Scout patches with my regular sewing machine, using a #90 sharp (denim) needle. Sew in the satin stitch edge, no problem. I sew lots of scout patches for free for our troup and others around here. I am proud of my Eagle Scout!
Old 10-18-2011, 04:17 PM

PM me...I have a Pixie made by Singer i will give you if you want.You pay postage and it's yours!
Old 10-18-2011, 07:21 PM

Save your money and find an older model in a thrift store or such that won't be a cheap throw away. as far as the patches go- with a son in cubscouts we were very thankful for the Mom who sewed patches with hand stitches becasue when her son otgrew the shirt she pasted it to us and we were able to remove badges our son had yet to earn
Old 10-18-2011, 07:49 PM

When DDs were in Daisies, Brownies and Girl Scouts, sewed patches on with my sewing machine. I do remember that either in satin stitched edging or just inside was easiest to get needle through but I did use a 16 and Coats and Clark thread (oh the horrors) because the I couldn't see wasting the goood quilting thread. Once they were finished with scouts, I ditched the Coats and Clark and just recently rehomed that sewing machine. It was a non-vintage about 25 year old Singer and I love my vintage gals. I would think a vintage machine would be able to handle the patches with ease.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:56 PM

Our Walmart has a really nice selection of machines in a wide price range. I purchased a Brother there and have been very happy with it.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:27 AM

I sew Scout patches on with a Singer 538 Stylist using a Singer 2020 Universal 80/11 needle and Coats & Clark Dual Duty Plus or XP thread. Using the straight stitch setting, I sew in the satin stitch edge with matching color thread on top, bobbin thread color to match the garment for underneath, and with a stitch length about midway on the machine (2 out of 4). I sew them on cold and appreciate new unused patches. I have the most problems sewing patches that have been ironed on but didn’t stick well. (Maybe the heat from the dryer makes them different?)

I should point out that the 538 was designed with fiber gears, and I have replaced one of mine in the 6 years that I have been using it. Gear failure was from age of the gear, and happened while hemming a jeans leg.

I use the smallest needle that I can for the thread size being used, especially on my home-use type machines. The larger the needle, the more machine effort it takes to pierce the material.

My wife sews Scout patches on the same way, except that she uses a Singer 401A.

CD in Oklahoma