Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need mashed sweet pototoes recipe >

Need mashed sweet pototoes recipe

Need mashed sweet pototoes recipe

Old 11-03-2010, 05:49 PM

We're from the deep South and we've always eaten lots of sweet potatoes and my mom's sweet potato pie is yummy. We do as so many others and bake our potatoes. I think they have a richer taste if they're baked with the peeling on and a little oil or shortening rubbed in. We eat them plain with butter and it's like dessert. I agree with the lady who said that most recipes for the s. potato casseroles are too sweet for my taste. Just like simple foods.
For my mom's pie, she just mashes the baked potatoes and adds sugar to taste, some butter or margarine and a little cinnamon or not. Again, I like simple foods and the potatoes are so rich and sweet that they don't need lots of spice and only a little sugar added to make the pie. Yummy.
She doesn't put eggs in her pie because that makes it more custardy. Simple, huh!
Old 11-03-2010, 06:03 PM

I cook Sweet potatoes in microwave also. We eat them about twice a week. I mash them, and if they are going to be "sweet" I use splenda and honey. We use just butter other wise. We also buy frozen sweet potatoe french fries. We also only eat brown rice LOL
Old 11-03-2010, 06:43 PM

when it's just me I bake it in the microwave then a little butter and brown sugar. for meals I dice & cook untill soft,drain, then put a little alspice or pumpkin pie spice (to taste), brown sugar and butter, mix and bake about 30 minutes on 350.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:24 PM

After I cook & drain mine I add marshmallow cream, pecans, brown sugar,& pumpkin pie spice then mash or blend with a mixer. Taste & add whatever is missing. Bake it in a casserole dish at 350 for 30 min. Then add big marshmallows on top & brown. Be careful the big marshmallows might explode. They only need 3 or 4 min's.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:35 PM

Me too. I never met a sweet potatoe I didn't like. Love em.

Here's my recipe. May be similar to others, but this one we have used for about 10 years. Never anything left.

Make Ahead Sweet Potato Casserole
2 large cans of Sweet Potatoes OR 6 large fresh yams or sweet potatoes, cooked, drained, peeled.
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon real vanilla flavoring
1/3 cup milk (I have lactose intolerance and use Goat's milk. Makes it smooth and rich tasting)
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar (light or dark)
1/3 cup chopped pecans or more if you like
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons

As stated before, cook, peel, and mash like regular potatoes. Combine with 1/4 cup sugar, eggs, vanilla, milk, and 1/2 cup butter. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Spoon into greased 12 x 8 x 2 inch glass baking dish. Combine brown sugar, pecans, flour, and 2 tablespoons butter, sprinkle mixture over casserole. Bake at 350* for 30 minutes, uncovered.
Tastes better when made the day before, cooked, and refrigerated. Serves 8-12
Old 11-03-2010, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by SaraSewing
Try this recipe. The Pioneer woman site is a MUST for all cooks. It's yummy, plus entertaining!

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...y-step-recipe/
This is the same recipe I have been using for years but I cut back on the sugar as they are way too sweet. I also put cinnamon in the topping. The best way to bake sweet potatoes is oil them & then put in iron skillet to bake till done. It is suppose to set the sugars in them. Old southern lady since gone taught me that.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:14 PM

I always hated sweet potatoes because the only way I ever had them served was "candied". I went to someone's house for dinner and they had baked(just plain) and I love them. Sometimes I bake one for dinner and mash cottage cheese in it and call it my dinner.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:15 PM

Nadine, just bake the sweet potatoes (pierce them with a fork first!) either in a regular oven while you are baking meat loaf or something, or bake in a microwave oven. After about 5 or 6 minutes, squeeze with a hit mitt to see if the potato "gives" to the touch. Cook in 30 second increments until done. Then, take out, cool a little, and peel. Mash with any of the following: butter and cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice and brown sugar; or butter, brown sugar, orange juice and orange zest. Happy cooking! I had 9 sweet potato plants this year and harvested 149 pounds of sweet potatoes. They weighed anywhere from 10# (honest), 8, 7, and down to fingerlings. I gave the two largest ones to a local mission so they could feet many people. I am giving some to a needy family and we are enjoying the rest. They are good, believe me.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:03 PM
Dee

Sounds like everyone makes them almost the same way. Every so often I bake them instead of regular potatoes.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:32 PM

You guys are making me hungry! I love sweet potatoes. I have 2 big ones in the frige so maybe I'll make them tomorrow for dinner! LOL