Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need a new microwave, do you suggest...

mircowave

Hi there Ihave a mocrwave and oven hat is all in one on top of stove love t mde by GE little costly bt worth it from home dept

Our countertop microwave - a 7+ year old Panasonic bought on a boxing day sale is having more senior moments than I do lately, so it's time to replace it. It's not minor stuff either, the turntable sometimes turning I can live with but the thermostat or something is going nuts in it. Sometimes it takes almost 2 minutes to defrost 100g of cat food, sometimes it turns it into a crepe that's welded to the plate in about a minute. Previously about a minute 20 was juuuuust right. There are also huge hot spots and frozen chunks, partly I'm sure from the lack of a turning turntable.

We don't use the microwave a lot, other than for cat food and reheating left overs.

DH doesn't want the extra expense, I'd like to regain the space. The current budget is about $400, which is about $250 probably for USD LOL![/QUOTE]

We have a General Electric over the range microwave that we have been using since 1981. Would definitely replace it with another OTR one since we have limited counter space.

When we renovated the kitchen, we replaced the over the range fan with a microwave/fan unit. Am SO glad we did it, as we have more room on the counter. The unit we purchased is a simple GE, to match the GE stove & GE dishwasher. I've been very happy with the microwave & stove - both are great. Will not buy the same dishwasher again, though -- my daughter has an LG and its fantastic. But we love our microwave. I am short, 5'2", and it's fine for me. We installed the entire kitchen, including the appliances, and it wasn't the easiest installation (as we had to make our own piping to direct the air out the roof top duct), but we did a good job and it will pass inspections when we sell the house in a few years when we retire. I won't ever go back to a counter model -- I like uncluttered counters!

Microwave makes the molecules move very fast creating friction which causes heat. Nothing health harming at all. I don't use plastic to heat foods in the microwave, I don't trust heat and plastic together.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I would only have an over the stove microwave. I don't particularly like the Kitchen Aid we currently have, only because we've had some trouble with it. I use it constantly, we eat a lot of the frozen dinners. So I'm sure I have worn it out by now. We eat popcorn and I love the button that senses the size of the bag and pops until it's done. I also like all the presets, like bacon, soup, and such. We have the space for it and it's high enough that I can still can. I'm only 5'2 and haven't had any problem getting things in and out. When something on the stove is hot and steaming, the fan on the microwave will turn on automatically. Good feature also.
    Debra

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2