Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need serious kitty litter help

When I had my daughter's cat here I used Feline Pine. It smells just like pine shavings. I use a little bit of litter in the box and instead of scooping every day, just toss it with the liner and replace it. You couldn't even tell there was a cat in the house. She still uses it in her apartment and it smells great.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I like Tidy Cat clumping a lot!!!
    Either the one with the red label or blue one- both are great and we have 5 cats!! :D Good luck.
    -------------------------------
    Thanks for the info. I'll go get some today. I have two inside cats and while I can't smell much, the female won't go in hers after 3 days (even if the mess removed) unless she is in dire need of it. I keep 3 large plastic dog food containers for their boxes, with big foil turkey or commercial food containers with the litter in them so I can take it out and put new ones in while sterilizing the older ones outdoors in the sun. These large 60 pound or so containers are good laid on their sides with the front elevated so the litter doesn't get kicked out. (They are rotated outside for sun sterilizing). The male always stands and sprays, which nearly ruined my floor before I found out what he was doing. And yes, he is fixed, as soon as I found him as a kitten.

The clumping is the only one I find controls the odor. My cats have never shown any inclination to eat it, tho the dog has. I keep a kiddie gate across the door to keep the dog out.
    Just a word about the covered litter boxes; I got one and soon discovered my cat peeing on my bed and pooping on the floor. Took me forever to make the connection, but once I did, I tried putting her in the covered box and saw that she was absolutely NOT going to go in there. Once I removed the lid, she immediately started using it again and hasn't gone on my bed one time since.

Quote Originally Posted by BARES
    Thanks all. Looks like most use about the same kinds of litter. I will try some of the other ones, especially the clumping kind, and see if it helps. I scoop the poop almost as soon as he goes so if anything is smelling besides the litter, it is the pee. I notice the smell even after I have completely changed the box but not nearly as bad, which is why I think it is the litter. Then again, I have also noticed my sinuses being more stuffed up using litter. Maybe I am more sensitive now, and I am smelling it because of that.

Thanks you guys are awesome.
    Litter has a lot of dust to it, which could be affecting your sinuses. You might try wearing a paper mask when changing and cleaning the litter. Also, using a low dust or dust free litter might help. hugs and smiles and good luck.

I am convinced that it has little to do with the litter. We had a cat that died a while back (he was 20) and he could run us out of the house in a min sometimes. He got sick and got diarreha. After months of medicines and changing vets we found out that he had irritable bowl. The vet had us change his food to Organix for sensitive stomachs. (no longer made) and he was out of quarentine in days AND his eliminations no longer smelled near as bad. (maybe 10% of what it had been for years) Now with our new cats we feed only higer quality foods like Organix and they too do not have near the smell of some cats. These two can eat anything where Boo couldn't eat anything. So try to change the diet to see if that make a diffrence.

I use Arm & Hammer scoop

There's a new litter out that is made from corn. I haven't tried it but it is supposed to be really good for odors. I'll see if I can find the name of it.

You might want to talk to your vet. This may not be a litter problem but a kitty problem. I have two indoor cats and one needs an enzyme additive for the food (both cats eat the same food!). Otherwise, I could box her up, send her to the military to be the new secret bio-weapon. We call her a Sassy bomb. Very hush hush. :-)

I never had a house cat, but I had a miniature rex bunny rabbit and he was potty trained with kitty litter. I always used "First Step", I think that was the name of it. It was a blue bag, but the one I used was not the crystallized kind. My bunny never liked that crystallized stuff. And I did try a cheaper clay like brand, never work for bunny. He kept sneezing! Now my bunny is in Bunny Heaven! Past away a year ago! Miss him! He thought he was a puppy dog!

Arm and Hammer

I use Pro-Pet Fresh Results which I have only found at Wal-Mart. It is made with ground corn cobs and has a pine scent. It is much lighter than clay litters but clumps just as well. It's all natural, low dust, safe, and completely biodegradable. I won't use anything else. Give it a try and I think you will like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltaddict
    I use Pro-Pet Fresh Results which I have only found at Wal-Mart. It is made with ground corn cobs and has a pine scent. It is much lighter than clay litters but clumps just as well. It's all natural, low dust, safe, and completely biodegradable. I won't use anything else. Give it a try and I think you will like it.
    That's the stuff I was thinking about. I might give this stuff a try.

I have to agree with kwhite. I had a foster kitty who had the foulest smelling poo. Even when she went poo in the third floor litter box we could smell it on the bottom floor. There was nothing wrong with her physically. But I gave her some supplement and that helped a lot. I don't remember the name, but I got it at PetSmart. You may want to google "Smelly cat poo" or something like that.

Her poo smelled so bad that I considered adding on a "poo room" where she would have to go through a kitty door to the outside and go in a covered caged area outside! Luckily she got adopted :)

Blog Entries
    World's Best Cat Litter is made from corn
    It is low on dust
    NO CHEMICALS to harm you or your cat
    scoops and flushes
    it is expensive at first glance but it absorbs well and you don't use as much
    you may save some in vet bills in the long run - less chemical exposure - less ut problems
    you don't have to change out the pan as often The clumps stay toward the top of the pan
    Some of the chemical cat litters can be somewhat addictive to the cat - none of the natural litters are

You may need to check the cat's diet if the pee is smelling bad - a lot of the cat food is corn based - do a little research and pay a little more for the food and you will have a healthier cat

Fresh Step works best for our home. Smells good !

Just switched to "World's Best Cat Litter" after checking in on my DD's cat while she was away. When I was cleaning the litter box, I noted no odor, and no messy litter getting on the floor and turning into cement or tracked through the house. It is kinda expensive, but is made from corn, and even with 3 cats, there is no odor.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nursie76
    Just switched to "World's Best Cat Litter" after checking in on my DD's cat while she was away. When I was cleaning the litter box, I noted no odor, and no messy litter getting on the floor and turning into cement or tracked through the house. It is kinda expensive, but is made from corn, and even with 3 cats, there is no odor.
    you will find it lasts longer and so will your cats with out all the chemicals in their cat box and then licking to cleanup them selves.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Quote Originally Posted by nursie76
    you will find it lasts longer and so will your cats with out all the chemicals in their cat box and then licking to cleanup them selves.
    Yes, and our one dog will probably do better too. He tends to go looking for, ummm, "treasures" in the cat litter box. He thinks they are yummy.....ICK!

We've used Special Kitty (clumping) from Walmart for quite a while now. It was even OK back when we had 4 kitties. It's not nearly as dusty as the name brands and isn't perfumed.

And cheep!

Blog Entries
    I use the Scoop Away too, with the addition of Borax to the tom cat's litter box. His box always smells worse than the femaies', for whatever reason!!

Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    Two cats -- Arm and Hammer! Works great as long as one idiot cat we have would COVER his stuff!!!!
    THIS! Three cats, and one with diabetes, who doesn't clean himself...this clumps but doesn't harden. Had to stop using other litter because Gandolf would pee where he stood, walk around in it, and get it stuck in his long hair and between his toes. Then it would harden and he couldn't walk on his feet without clopping around....Got groomed, trimmed and now this litter, it's like having a different cat..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2