Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need tips to clean tub and shower >

Need tips to clean tub and shower

Need tips to clean tub and shower

Old 02-01-2017, 01:52 PM
Power Poster

Switch too a good liquid bath soap. I never have soap scum after switching. Get a small hand squeegee and use it on the walls and glass door after bathing. After you get the tub clean, wax the fixtures with Jubilee Wax or other appliance wax. Wax the tile or surround and the soap dish or shelves and fixtures. This protects the finishes and keeps scum at bay. Re wax about every 4 months.

As far as getting scum off the stall, I use to use vinegar and baking soda mixed into a paste, let sit about ten minutes and pour hot water and scrub. It may take a few times to get it done but you will be proud of it when finished.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

Switch too a good liquid bath soap. I never have soap scum after switching. Get a small hand squeegee and use it on the walls and glass door after bathing. After you get the tub clean, wax the fixtures with Jubilee Wax or other appliance wax. Wax the tile or surround and the soap dish or shelves and fixtures. This protects the finishes and keeps scum at bay. Re wax about every 4 months.

As far as getting scum off the stall, I use to use vinegar and baking soda mixed into a paste, let sit about ten minutes and pour hot water and scrub. It may take a few times to get it done but you will be proud of it when finished.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:47 PM
Power Poster

I pour CRL on a rag, wipe walls and tub, let set for 15 minutes or so then rinse off. Lime away works well too.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:05 PM

My husband and I have to inspect apartments for 20 year old. Generally the apartments are old and the scum in the tub is disgusting. So this is what we tell them to use except we tell them to dilute it with water. After a month, it is very obvious when they have used this. We also tell them that it has to be done at least weekly after they have their tubs cleaned, more often while they are getting them clean.

Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
My HB saw on TV from the queen of Clean to use half dawn and half vinegar and sprayed it on the glass and use one of those green scrubbers. Let it sit fifteen minutes if it is tough stains. It cleaned the glass real nice. He has not used on the shower its self yet. It worked real good on the glass.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:31 AM

Best to remove soap scum = Vinegar and Bicarb. For the shower spray walls with vinegar. Apply bicarb to cloth dampened with vinegar. After you get all the soap off you can use Magic erasers.
Inexpensive and safe for you and the environment. Vinegar is an antiseptic as well as a deodorant. This is all I use for cleaning.

Last edited by katesnanna; 02-02-2017 at 05:35 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Donna Bates View Post
Tub and Tile by Melaleuca - diluted per instructions, spray on plastic shower curtain, ceramic tile and tub/lavs - works great! We've used it for 20 yrs. No, we are not distributors and we don't have a house full of that company's productsl It's just a product that does what it says it will.
This is what I use when needed, but I only need it about once or twice a year. I always wipe down the shower with a squeegee when I'm through with it, then wipe again with the wash cloth, wringing it out periodically. Sometimes I use the towel and wipe it all down, too. If you keep your shower dry, there can't be anything to build up. Takes about a minute after each shower.
My bathroom sink is always clean, too, because I leave it dry before I leave the room. After I'm finished washing, I splash a little water around to rinse down the dirty water, then use the towel that I had used to wipe me to wipe the sink. It's always shiny and clean.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:06 AM

Wow! Thank you for all the responses. There are some great ideas here to try so I've added a couple things to my shopping list and will see how they work! I certainly appreciate it and I think others have found some good ideas as well.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:21 PM

i use vinegar and dawn dish soap I also have a spin scrubber .get it on amazon it works and saves the back.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:53 PM

You won't like this one - I sure didn't, but it worked.

When we moved into a new home 33 years ago, the blue tiled shower off the master bedroom was coated with soap and scum. I tried every known product available to get that scum off the tiles. Nothing worked.

Then I took a single edge razor and scraped the scum off. What a job! But it worked. The shower looked almost brand new. I did that once a year until we put in a new bathroom.

Note that I scraped the scum off over a period of weeks, and only scraped when the shower was dry.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:48 PM

I take the sponge and cleaner in the shower with me and clean the shower during my actual shower. I have used CLR and Scrubbing Bubbles with good results. You just have to keep up with it, but it isn't too bad if you make it part of your shower routine. Clean a few walls at a time if you need to cut it short.