Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need your advice - 1st machine for a young girl >

Need your advice - 1st machine for a young girl

Need your advice - 1st machine for a young girl

Old 09-09-2018, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

Eversewn would be my choice. Several models to choose from.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:31 AM

Another vote for Janome. My first machine was less than $200 and it was great, easy to use and lasted for years.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Kooklabell View Post
Oh I know what she wants, my embroidery machine by Husqvarna LOL But that isn't in the budget. Besides that, she doesn't know beyond "something that doesn't ball up the thread or eat the material". I'd like to find something that others feel is simple yet easy and friendly to use. Something that won't frustrate her.

My first machine was a Kenmore and I used a Singer in home economics. Both frustrated the life out of me and I don't want that to happen to Syd. At 11 years of age she has such incredible skills.

So my thought is still a new machine. I was thinking about a Brother or a Janome but I have no experience with these makers.
It sounds like a talk with her is in order. Most machines don't just randomly "ball up the thread" or "eat the material". That's normally some kind of user error be it, not holding the top and bottom threads when you start, not having the fabric placement correct, the machine not being cleaned often enough or whatever. I doubt you will find a machine that can over come "user error". As far as frustration, that comes with the territory with learning new skills. It's always frustrating. I still find myself becoming frustrated with myself or my machine at times. She'll have to learn to overcome that if she's going to sew and quilt. That in itself is a good thing to learn.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

I think there are some models that are "less than user friendly" -

For example, from what I have read the first "new" Bernina 830s - very expensive machines - were not user friendly - and temperamental.

An understandable user's manual/guide is important.

Also , will the machine require attending classes to learn how to use it? And if so, are they available and will granddaughter be able to get to them?

You might have using your machine be a special treat for when she visits you.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:38 AM

My service person speaks highly of the Babylock BL9. 9 stitches, mechanical, full size, metal machine for $99.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:02 AM

We gave my DGD a project runway Brother from Walmart and she loves it.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:35 PM

My granddaughter has been using a Brother since she was 10 yrs old and has always done very well with it. Not too many options, but enough to keep her interested....a few decorative stitches. They are reasonably priced and has never had any trouble with it. I use it at lot with my quilting also even tho I have two other more expensive machines. Have had it for over 5 yrs now.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:09 PM

Default Correct model

I totally agree with Prism99....the Brother CS6000I is awesome. I bought myself one to take to classes. I love it! Everyone who has sewn on mine likes it alot. I bought another one to give to my granddaughter who has never sewn a stitch. She lives about 800 miles from me, so I could not help her except on FaceTime. She took the manual to the machine and with just a little help from me has learned sooo much that I could not write it all here. She made a valance for her kitchen window and has just completed a Dino Daze quilt top for a friend of hers who is expecting a baby boy. She loves her machine. It is available on Amazon and Walmart online. Check out the reviews on Amazon. I sometimes will sew on mine instead of my $2000+ Husqvarna Viking because it is so user friendly. It cost about $149 and has everything included that she would need. Best wishes.

Last edited by southernmema; 09-09-2018 at 02:11 PM. Reason: wrong model number
Old 09-10-2018, 05:48 AM

I would look at features that she might want.
A needle threader
Adequate light
Specialty stitches
Extended table
Needle down
Lock stitch
Also consider where she will be sewing. How light should it be?

The Brother CS6000i, Sparrow 15, or Janome models are great. Juki has some (HZL 29Z and above models in that range too). One place one might look is Overstock.com. They have a sale on the CS6000i this week.

By the way, I applaud you for realizing that this girl's talent should be encouraged. I made my own clothes by the time I was 10 because I had caring family that encouraged me. It has made a HUGE difference in my life! I wish Sydney the joy I have had.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:39 AM

I have been curious about the suggestions since you first posted this question. After googling for Eversewn Sewing machine reviews, I watched an excellent review on youtube by Alex Anderson. I cannot recall numbers, but think it was the Sparrow 20. The review makes me wish I did not have so many sewing machines because I would surely buy this machine.

Push-button motor control, needle up-down, variable speed control. Choice of where needle is positioned.

Last edited by elnan; 09-10-2018 at 07:44 AM.