new to canning

Old 07-24-2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by seahorsesanna
or do you think a water canner would be better?
I agree with the others. Ball canning books are the best. Pressure canners scare me, I've always done water canning.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:24 PM

Either Kerr or Ball Canning Book. If you purchase a pressure cooker, it usually comes with a manual with very good instructions. My bil listened to Glenn Beck and he suggested stocking food and he did. Went out and bought a pressure canner, stores were have a sale on pork. Sam's he bought a case of hamburg and canned that too. Canned beef for stew. His closet is so full of canned food, it'll take him a couple of years to use. But his food bill will be reasonable.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:01 PM

I have never used a pressure canner, only used the water bath method, but the Ball canning book is also my favorite. It has a lot of good recipes.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Janice Thompson
Either Kerr or Ball Canning Book. If you purchase a pressure cooker, it usually comes with a manual with very good instructions. My bil listened to Glenn Beck and he suggested stocking food and he did. Went out and bought a pressure canner, stores were have a sale on pork. Sam's he bought a case of hamburg and canned that too. Canned beef for stew. His closet is so full of canned food, it'll take him a couple of years to use. But his food bill will be reasonable.

Janice----Was in your city a couple of wks. ago for the Cherry festival and in ???? for the Polka Fest.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:12 PM

I found that Fanie Farmer's Boston Cooking School Cook Book was very valuable in teaching mehow to can. I used a water bath for the fruit (like peaches and tomatoes) and a pressure canner for the the non-acid stuff. Pickles can do a water bath. The cook book also has good sections on jams, jellies, and pickles.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:29 PM

Call the Extension Agent of your county and ask for canning and preserving books. I have had excellent results with their publications.
I always used a water bath, and canned tomatoes, pickles, peaches, jams, jellies. I know a pressure cooker is good for meats, green beans. I never did invest in a pressure cooker, but my Mom had one, and it scared me to death when it went to whistling, ect!!
good luck. You will enjoy.
Mariah
Old 07-24-2011, 01:29 PM

Call the Extension Agent of your county and ask for canning and preserving books. I have had excellent results with their publications.
I always used a water bath, and canned tomatoes, pickles, peaches, jams, jellies. I know a pressure cooker is good for meats, green beans. I never did invest in a pressure cooker, but my Mom had one, and it scared me to death when it went to whistling, ect!!
good luck. You will enjoy.
Mariah
Old 07-24-2011, 01:59 PM

check out your local extension office they should have alot of info for you on canning.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:16 PM

You need a pressure canner to can meats and veggies, jams and fruits will be fine done in a water bath canner.

Maybe1day
Old 07-24-2011, 06:03 PM

Be careful of "little old ladies" telling you it is ok to water bath everything. I used to do it that way and didn't have any problems, but would never do it nowadays. Pressure is so easy, safe, and a lot quicker. The Ball Blue Book is my Bible when it comes to canning.