new to canning

Old 07-24-2011, 07:34 PM

The Ball Canning book is great. I use a water bath, but a pressure canner is faster. I have a glass top stove, so I cannot use a pressure canner on it, they will break. Also, if you have a glass top stove, you cannot use a canner that goes more than 1 inch beyond the burner area, again it can break.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:38 PM

I just started canning this year too. Haven't done any water bath canning yet, but plenty of pinto beans and chicken. Meat does taste different tho and I was warned. Chicken tastes like tuna fish. Not something you'd want to use on a salad but hidden in a casserole would be fine.

Haven't read thru all the other posts but be sure to use the "newer" recipes vs something your grandmother used. They've changed the timing, to be sure foods are correctly cooked.

Good luck, relax, and enjoy !!!
Old 07-24-2011, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by bstock
We can a lot with just a waterbath. The venison however we freeze. I think canning the venison would not be worth it. If you use a Food Saver or any vaccum sealer system and freezer it keeps well. A couple of years ago we found some vension in the freezer that was 3 years old. We cooked it and it was fine thanks to the vaccumn sealer.
Good luck!
Canning Venison, makes it nice and tender, and in chunks like stew meat, can't tell the difference from canned beef.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:23 PM

Not sure if you can use canners and pressure canners on a glass top cook stove.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by cjsparks
I recommend that you go to your county extension service. It should be in Reed City on West Upton Avenue. They should have publications that they can give you on canning. They might also know someone that might be willing to be a mentor. Don't forget that your tax dollars pays for the MSU Extension Service. It's just like libraries...we need to use these services. The extension services are not utilized near enough and are staff with great people.
Amen ! there is a wealth of info out there and they are always
so helpful. Ball & Kerr companies have great books and customer service. use them !
Old 07-24-2011, 08:43 PM

Ditto to the Ball Canning Guide and pressure canner. Canned meats and low acid vegetables MUST be pressure canned and boiled after opening. The flavor of home canned meats is great. Chunks of venison, yummy. When we worked up a beef I canned stew meat, chuck roast and even burger. Lean, grass fed beef is better canned. My grandmother even (my father said) rolled up round steak and packed it in jars.

Freeze the corn. :thumbup:
Old 07-25-2011, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by seahorsesanna
I have decided to try and learn how to can and am wondering what you think the best book would be for a beginner? I plan on using a pressure canner and will be canning fruits, veggies and meats like venison. Any ideas would be appreciated ~ thanks ladies ;-)
I use the Ball Canning Book You can go their web site
Old 07-25-2011, 10:34 AM

Living in Indiana, how do you know about Reed City? I lived in Big Rapids for 9 years.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:57 PM

There is an old book called "Putting Food By" that gives you all the details of canning any and everything. A must have for someone who cans a lot.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:36 PM

When my DH was still alive, we lived in Oregon and deer hunted each fall. I canned a lot of venison. Excellent for strogonoff, spaghetti sauce, stews. But definitely you must use a pressure canner for any meat or fish. (I also canned salmon as we fished each summer at Brookings, OR.)