New Cat

Old 04-13-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by miss_ticky2
We have one that developed some knotted fur at one time for some reason. We ended up with a trip to the vet and sedation and clipping. She looked funny for a while but you could see that she was totally relieved of all the pulling of the matted fur. She never looked back after that and her fur hasn't knotted again since.
I agree. Trip to the vet, they can sedate her and get her all clipped up and checked out. She should be able to take care of her coat after that.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by miss_ticky2
We have one that developed some knotted fur at one time for some reason. We ended up with a trip to the vet and sedation and clipping. She looked funny for a while but you could see that she was totally relieved of all the pulling of the matted fur. She never looked back after that and her fur hasn't knotted again since.
I agree. Trip to the vet, they can sedate her and get her all clipped up and checked out. She should be able to take care of her coat after that.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:51 AM

if you have a Vet get something from him to calm her down so you can get her in a carrier than have the Vet sedate and trim her up the only way to do it
Iv taken in so many strays before we sold the house and this is the way I could get them to the Vet to be checked out and cleaned up
Old 04-13-2011, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

i had a maine coone, every june he'd get a lion cut it was soo cute and cool for him
Old 04-13-2011, 09:03 AM

Please take her to a groomer and have her shaved. I have Persians and they need to be shaved once in awhile. The cat will hate you if you keep trying to comb her hair, cause it hurts her skin. I live in California and it costs about $40.00. I love my kitties, they sit and watch me sew and craft. Callie is a calico. Silverado (Roddy) was a show cat and is a silver blue pathed tabby.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by softpatches
I thought abt getting some baby oil and rubbing her tummy with it. :)
As a former pet groomer of 12 yrs, please DON'T put any oil or any type of moisture on your cats fur. This will make the fur tighten up worse and be problematic for the clipper to trim the matts off. If anything, cornstarch as it will sooth the skin and reduce static electricity in the fur. For minor matts it makes it more manageable to brush out but it sounds like these mats are too far gone for that. Go with the what the majority on here have already stated and see the vet for sedated grooming.

Once you get these mats taken care of, purchase a firm slicker brush (with NO knobbies on the end of the pins) and attempt to brush your cat daily (even when shaved). The brush is to be used gently (no digging to China, please). Once your cat has had experience with the brush being soft, gentle, and not hitting any snags, they will be more willing to let you brush on a regular basis when their fur is longer. This also helps distribute their natural oils in the skin.

One other really important tip for all long hair dog/cat owners: Moisture tightens matts close to the skin. So in the rainy season, make sure you keep your pet brushed more frequently than usual. Even the dew in the grass is enough to make a small tangle into a tight mat in a matter of days. Think of it like those knots at the end of your hoodie/sweatpants drawstrings (or even knots in your shoelaces). Once you wash them they tighten down and are nearly impossible to remove. There are no magical conditioners (like humans have) that remove pet tangles because pet hair is more like wool than human hair (with the exception of some Yorkies and Afghan Hounds). So the rule to follow is prevention, ie brushing and combing regularly to remove small tangles before they become tighter to the skin. A steel toothed comb is not used to remove the tangle but to locate the tangles and then go in with the slicker brush and work it out. There is one spray that I do use on a freshly washed/brushed fur as a preventative for easily matting dogs. It is called Glo-Coat (another name brand is The Stuff) and is a silicone type mist that repels urine, dirt, stains, and is an anti-static making it great for preventing tangles. Since cats groom themselves, I am unsure it would work for them.

Best of luck with your new buddy. I'm sure he'll feel much better once those matts are removed. If left in place long enough, they will twist themselves out by the hair folicle and leave bald spots and highly sensitive skin. Don't delay, make that appointment today!
Old 04-13-2011, 09:45 AM
Banned

do they shave cats....
Old 04-13-2011, 10:43 AM

After you have had him groomed, in whatever form that takes, start by laying a wide-toothed comb upside down on his back, and using it to 'pet' his. Slowly over time you can roll the comb to the teeth to pet him again, this time gradually 'combing' him with the teeth. You won't do much real combing the first couple days, but by the time his fur starts to get long again, he will be used to being combed. You can the gradually work up to a 'people brush'. My long hair, Bruno, thinks his brush is a treat. (except on his tummy, he's too ticklish there.)
Old 04-13-2011, 11:47 AM

Thank you all very much----Will contact my vet ASAP,
Old 04-13-2011, 12:08 PM

Wear leather welders gloves [they go up to your elbow] But Mom use to spritz one of her cats with hair de-tangle as she petted it and it worked the tangles out It was made by no-more-tears and it didn't hurt the cats skin and she never got sick after washing herself