The new Kindle "Fire"

Old 10-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltQtrs
Am I the only one not interested in having a Kindle? Simply because I love to
hold a book, read ... and add it to my "library". My motto: A book worth
reading is a book worth buying.
That is exactly what DH thought. He's an avid reader and was buying books all the time or sending me to the library with a list. He kept saying he didn't want a Kindle. I bought him one anyway and now he loves it. It goes where he goes. He has the 3G Kindle.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

Forgot to say the Ipod Touch will do most of what the Kindle Fire will. All the iphone apps can be used on the Itouch and you can download Kindle books on it and go online if in a wireless area. The Itouch is very small screen and cost more then the Kindle Fire but less then the IPad. It's what I'm using now until my Kindle Fire gets here. We have an IPad but I use my ITouch more, it's easier to put in my pocket or purse when I go anywhere. DH and I like all the new technology, it's amazing to us! what we once only read about in science fiction is actually here for us to use.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by 3incollege
Originally Posted by QuiltQtrs
Am I the only one not interested in having a Kindle? Simply because I love to
hold a book, read ... and add it to my "library". My motto: A book worth
reading is a book worth buying.
I'm not interested either. But, I don't want to say never!
I really do like books and use the library all the time. I get some "throwaways" at the thrift store or garage sales. But, I have the Overdrive app on my iPhone and can borrow books from the library free to read when I don't have a book with me. The only disadvantage I can see is that you can't renew if you aren't through. But, the once this happened, I went back and got it again. I guess if you want to own all the books you read, that is a choice, but, they do begin to stack up. I have only kept a few that I read every few years.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:40 PM

I pre-ordered one, too.

I've had the Kindle 2 and traded it in on an iPad. I love gadgets and want to check out the Kindle Fire. Depending on how it works, I'll keep it as it is smaller than the iPad and easier to tuck in my purse or give it to my son.

I'm an avid reader and always have at least one book going. With an e-reader of any sort, I can take my whole library with me and never have to worry about having an extra book on the plane or finishing one book without another at hand.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:41 PM

When we travel a couple of times a year, I got really tired of carting books around. I downloaded a book to my iphone and I am hooked on using it as a bookreader. I have to figure out how to get it to work with libary books and audio books from the library.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by luckylindy333
When we travel a couple of times a year, I got really tired of carting books around. I downloaded a book to my iphone and I am hooked on using it as a bookreader. I have to figure out how to get it to work with libary books and audio books from the library.
Get the overdrive app (free). Then all you need is your library card number
Old 10-17-2011, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper

Yes, there are two libaries in our county that purchased Overdrive. I want to go get a card to download audio books. The library that I retired from does not have it.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:44 PM

You can use the MEL library system. It is a database the libraries holdings in MI.

Originally Posted by jeank
Originally Posted by Stitchnripper

Yes, there are two libaries in our county that purchased Overdrive. I want to go get a card to download audio books. The library that I retired from does not have it.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:20 AM

This is the MEL system. Each library system has to purchase it for their patrons. Then you have to have a resident card from that library to use it. I do not live in those libraries service area, but because I am a county resident, I can get a resident card. Just need to get to that library and sign up in person. Then it will all be over the internet.

Jean

Originally Posted by thrums
You can use the MEL library system. It is a database the libraries holdings in MI.

[/quote]
Old 10-18-2011, 03:41 AM

The only books I buy are books that I will use over and over again. (how to books, pattern books etc.) I read fiction once and I'm done. The kindle is wonderful if you always like to have a book with you. It fits in your purse. I order free books and delete them when I'm done. If you think you want to re-read a book just don't delete it. I'm not sure how many books you can download but I think it's in the 1000's.