The new Kindle "Fire"

Old 10-18-2011, 02:47 PM

can you put things off your computer on to the kindle fire?
Old 10-18-2011, 04:40 PM

I love my Library and the free books, story hour for kids and even an occasional class. But am curious about the Ipad or Tablet.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by jeank
I don't care to have a kindle, but I do like listening to audio books while quilting.

Jean
Jean, my Kindle will read my books to me. My daughter bought it for me for Mother's Day and I love it. I too like to hold books in my hand, but Kindle has lots of books available for free and I can have hundreds of books on my Kindle and still take it with me anywhere! My daughter gave me ear buds so I can LA quilt an still have a book read to me at the same time :thumbup:
Old 10-18-2011, 07:35 PM

You can now check out ebooks from your local public library (free). Not sure how it works yet. I love my Kindle, I can carry it in my purse to read on the go. It does feel like reading a book. When I traveled around Europe this spring/summer I didn't have to take a bunch of books, I just had my kindle.

I don't think I will get the Fire. I don't need the other things it offers, I just want to read books. I have the 3G and I like the non glare screen.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:07 PM

Location: Winter/South Florida;Summer/anywhere & everywhere North

I pre-ordered the Kindle Fire also. I really did't think I'd ever jump on the e-reader band wagon, but my touch ipod is on its last leg & the final clincher is my library is Kindle friendly.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:41 AM

RE: Am I the only one not interested in having a Kindle? Simply because I love to
hold a book, read ... and add it to my "library". My motto: A book worth
reading is a book worth buying.

QuiltQtrs

You're not the only one! I LOVE real books!!! And real magazines too!! I can see where it would be handy if you travel but it can never replace the feel of a real book for me! I wouldn't rule out ever owning one - but it will never replace a real books for me.

Debbie in Kentucky
Old 10-20-2011, 09:37 AM
Banned

PLSE tell me why you use a kindle, you have to often pay lots for a book, I get my books mostly from car boots/garage type sales and pay usually 50p each ,then resell for dog rescue; oove the comfort of the paper and page turning.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:31 PM

I fought this too for a long time. So my solution was to read my books at home, but take my Kindle to doctor's offices etc. I carry it in my purse at all times 'cause you never know when it can come in handy. I also am an authorized seller for Kindle covers and can make some pretty interesting covers. I don't want the Fire however, because I just want to read a book and don't need that other extra stuff. Sometimes it's unhandy to take a book along, especially if it's a big book. I also get a lot of orders from my doctors, nurses and receptionists.

I'll be interested in what you decide.

Originally Posted by QuiltQtrs
Am I the only one not interested in having a Kindle? Simply because I love to
hold a book, read ... and add it to my "library". My motto: A book worth
reading is a book worth buying.
:lol:
Old 10-20-2011, 06:01 PM

I asked at the beginning of this conversation if you can also listen to audio books on the Kindel. I never did see a reply. I know it sounds stupid but I know nothing about the Kindel.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:39 AM

I too love to read real books, but the 12 yo GD has requested one for Christmas. She will be 13 in Dec so her we are doing a combined gifting from her parents and us. DH ordered is yesterday. Hope it makes it by Christmas. Guess I will have to make a cover for it. Now to find some pink zebra material.

mltquilt