New Kindle Fire

Old 05-17-2012, 08:17 AM

I got my Kindle Fire from my kids and husband for my birthday a month or so ago. I just love it. Protested at Christmas time that I didn't want one but that was before I learned all I could do with it. I don't read a lot of books on it but I do read quiltingboard every day on it. I check my e-mail from anywhere in the house and even at the clinic while my husband was at a Dr visit. The clinic had free wifi and I bought a wireless router for at home. Sure is nice to read e-mail, read quiltingboard, play sudoku (free) or solitare (free), send messages, check my great granddaughter's caring bridge site, and on and on and on. I am pleasantly surprised at all I use it for. Thanks hubby and kids!
Old 05-17-2012, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

I have the Kindle Fire. You have to have wi fi for it to connect to your Amazon account. Once connected it's super easy to set it up. At the bottom of the Kindle Fire screen is a house icon. That will take you to your home page. Also the Kindle Fire comes with a user manual book pre loaded. You don't need wi fi to read it. There is a discussion forum for Kindle:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?_...f_=sv_kstore_7

Asking where the home page is there will be like asking on this forum which end of the needle do I thread.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:52 AM

I have had the Kindle since it first came out and now have a Fire as well. I find that using a "stylus" (about $15) helps with the keyboarding. It looks like a ballpoint pen with a rubber dome at the end where the ink would come out. It really helps. I used mine for several months before getting one and it has made a real difference in the ease of keyboarding. It is even simpler to order books on the Fire than with the regular Kindle. I love mine!
Old 05-17-2012, 11:20 AM

Is there a monthly cost for using the Kindle fire, like an ISP cost? Can you get current books for free? I'm tempted to buy one, but haven't for the same reason I haven't bought a smart phone. I'm home most of the time and my computers do it all.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
I am so far behind with tech knowledge.
Just got this thing and it is so complicated that it is useless to me.
The keyboard is not like my computer keyboard so cant even put in a password.
Then I go online and find instructions that go on and on but are no help.
It keeps saying home page, where is that?
Now Im suposed to call them for instructions on setting it up. If it is going to be this much trouble, how is it going to be to order and read books?
Go to Amazon.com click on Kindle on the left side of the screen, then click on Manager your Kindle, then click Getting Started Guide, then select which Kindle you have. It's been a great help for me. I have the Kindle keyboard and the Kindle Fire. Both are fun and easy. Hope this helps.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:50 PM

Never had either one, not much of a reader.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:28 PM
Power Poster

No monthly fee on any Kindle. You need wi fi for the Fire (home, library, coffee shop, anywhere with wi fi) and the others will connect to a computer that has internet. The 3G will connect on it's own without computer in any cell phone area. If you have the Kindle with external keyboard it is becoming a rare collectible, do not get rid of it too soon.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 05-17-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:43 AM

Problem solved but have to go in with my daughters name.
The router from my computer to hers wont let me on my Kindle with my name.