New Kindle Fire

Old 05-16-2012, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

jeesh, i typed and typed and it wouldn't let me save it. grrrr
here i go again- OK, i re-read your posting. see the small buttons (and i do mean small) There is one that says Home. that is usually what comes up when you turn your Kindle on. There are page buttons on the sides of your Kindle too ><
also a Menu button. mine has a square with a . in the center (that means OK or Enter) and the side do other things. delete, etc.
just look at those and learn what your Kindle does as you go along. Mine came with a cord to connect to the computer and it also has a slip on plug for electrical outlet when i must charge the battery. Hope this helps.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:02 AM

I was given a Kindle Fire for Christmas and I am NOT technologically enlightened, but I was able to figure out the basics and I have called Amazon support many times. They are so service oriented and will go over everything you want, step by step, as many times as it takes for you to understand it. They made the experience pleasant and I did not feel condescended to, as many "service" people do. I love my KF to read, play games, go online, download patterns, watch movies; nearly everything I can do on the computer in the den. As long as there is a wi-fi hookup available, you can use it as a small pad computer. When there's no wi-fi, it is a lovely reader for anything you've downloaded. Downloading books directly to your Kindle is so easy, just follow the directions on the Amazon page. It took me a little while to figure out how to download books to my computer and then via USB to the Kindle from the computer, because I was just too dumb to understand the directions <grin>, but finally figured it out and now download library books for free all the time. Don't give up. If you have a 20-something or 30-something child or grandchild, or friend, bleieve me, they will make sense out of it for you very quickly.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:26 AM

Thanks so much for your help.
I finally got to the home page.
Also on my computer printed out the 24 page instruction book so now its just a matter of learning it.
My problem was, it wanted a password and it had to be the one for Amazon.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:37 AM

If you go to the Amazon app store, Robert Kaufman has an app called The Quilter's Little Helper. It's free. It's a quilting calculator and will help you determine yardage for binding, backing, batting, and all kinds of measurements.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:53 AM

Sounds like you really like your Kindle Fire! I've been wanting one, but didn't realize they do all that you mentioned. Is there a monthly fee for services or a contract to pay extra? It sounds like exactly what I need. My birthday is next month and my family is always wanting to know what I want....well, this year I can tell them. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:58 AM

I had a kindle and got a nook for xmas so I gave my kindle away- wish I would have kept it. nook takes long to start up. miss the no glare screen on kindle I have been thinking of getting another kindle once I finish the books on the nook
Old 05-17-2012, 05:59 AM

I purchased Kindle, not fire, but one with a touch screen keyboard, about 6 months ago. It now sits in a drawer. I purchased it primarily to download books from the library, finding out the authors I like to read are not available for ereaders......from library anyway......of course, on Amazon, I could "buy" a book I might be interested in for a very low price, but that is not what I wanted. I don't buy the actual books now so why would I want them electronically, even though they are cheaper........and the freebies on line are basically unknown authors who self-publish, hoping to get a following...I have read and gagged on a few of those.......I don't want to go around bragging about all the "free books" I have downloaded-the classic that are free, I have already read.......just thought this might be a more efficient way to read, but have found it not so....so be aware of the shortcomings....it will sit in the drawer until the libraries/publishers get "upgraded to ereaders"and I will continue to order and pick up real books from my local library, since my taxes are helping to keep it available for use....
Old 05-17-2012, 06:07 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Fire-Am...pf_rd_i=507846

This is the page on Amazon for the Kindle Fire. Under the cart symbol, there are two links for Manage Your Kindle and Kindle Support. When we were received them, DH set them up (and he is not tech savvy). I don't have a password so not sure how he bypassed that. Ordering books is simple on the Fire and downloads in seconds. You can also get a sample of the book before ordering one that is not free. Good luck!
Old 05-17-2012, 07:15 AM

I've had mine since December. I finally had to call them to find out how to set up my e-mail. I told them I was ready to throw it out the window. They were very nice and walked me through the steps. I found it very useful on trips; but, I must admit, I found that buying used books on Amazon is cheaper than getting them on Kindle, although there lots of free Kindle books. Still have to go to library to find out how to check out Kindle books from the library.

The home screen is what comes up after you turn it on. It is represented by a little house on the bottom left of the screen.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

downloading bks from Amazon is a breeze but from my library takes a bit more. and i'm mad at my library-i still get books from them and recently i got two books. found i'd read one already and read the other. turned them in and they said one was damaged and i needed to pay $29.95. I told them in over 20 years of using their books i've never damaged one. i would have said so if i had. I was mad. They took the "charge" off my account but i really am mad. Now i must check every book before taking it out and will have them ck them when i return them too! so Kindle, here i come. mine is the Keyboard 3G one with WiFi. not the Fire.