New kitty

Old 04-15-2011, 12:20 PM

My neighbor found a teeny tiny kitten in her back yard yesterday. We went around the neighborhood trying to locate her owner, with no luck. I don't think she's even 6 weeks old. My neighbor was going to take her to the pound. But I couldn't let her do that. So I now have an added pet to my family. But it has been a very long time since I've had a kitten. And so many products have changed. Any tips on food, litter, is there a flushable liter yet? Any ideas, help, would be greatly appreciated. I have two dogs and one has already decided it's her mother and cleans her. She is an adorable grey and white tabby, with white around her beatiful blue eyes, and white on her chin. I call her Tiger Lily. Thanks in advance for your help. I know there are a lot of cat owners on this board.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

Congratulations on your new addition! I don't think there is a flushable litter yet.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:26 PM

Happy Day!! I LOVE kittens!

I wouldn't trust a flushable litter if they did invent one!!! Think of your plumbing!

I think most things are the same...just don't give it any beef food till later on -- it's too harsh for their tiny tummies. Canned food is easier on a baby like that. No milk, either.....cows milk might cause tummy problems, too. However, I have to say, we have brothers out of a litter and one of them, Dasher, INSISTED on something. Kept bugging me for days until I put milk down. He drank the milk with no problems for about 4 months then quit one day!

Sounds like Tiger Lily may sleep with the dog tonight!!!

We want pictures!!!!
Old 04-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

Is she eating regular food? If so you have half the battle won. I prefer premium foods for my cats and dog so I have to go to special petfood stores for them, not the grocery store. Some very good names out there are Eagle Pack, Wellness. I like to look for foods that are made with holistic ingredients and human grade products.

I don't know of any litter that won't eventually mess up the works flushing it so even if it states flushable, I would not flush it. I use a product called Swheat scoop, it is made out of the outer husks of wheat so is perfectly safe if little tiger lilly accidentally eats some. It clumps fine and is also an earth friendly product.

Their eyes are usually a deep blue when very young. They will eventually turn color. I suspect mama cat may have been moving her babies and dropped this one and got spooked and did not go back for her. Thank you for taking her in.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:29 PM

How sweet of you to take her in!

I'd take her to the vet and have her checked out (ear mites are common in outside strays) and get some kitten chow for her.

I always gave our kittens the baby kitten food for the 1st year like they say to. I did mix several kitten foods together so they would get used to a variety because our stores have been know to suddenly drop one brand and then there you sit without out any.

We use scoopable litter and it's not too bad. Use a short box for at first and then I'd suggest getting a taller one so the "kicking and shaking" feet don't track it around as bad.

Fuzzy blanket and little jingle kitten balls are fun -- same as with human babies, nothing that can be torn off or eaten please.

Ribbons, strings and toys with cords need to be put up when they aren't being played with as they will get wrapped up in them.

Scratching post right away. We trained ours to a "fly swatter" so there was never any use of human hands to be afraid of. All you had to do was snap it on the ground and then show it to them...worked for the gobs of kittens we had.

Lots of loving and petting and cuddles. If you want it to like water, start bathing it now ... we used Johnson's no tear baby shampoo...keep water out of their ears! Our cats have all liked water and don't fuss about it. In fact they run to the tub when you run it.

Good luck and happy times ahead!
Old 04-15-2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma

I wouldn't trust a flushable litter if they did invent one!!! Think of your plumbing!

I think most things are the same...just don't give it any beef food till later on -- it's too harsh for their tiny tummies. Canned food is easier on a baby like that. No milk, either.....cows milk might cause tummy problems, too. However, I have to say, we have brothers out of a litter and one of them, Dasher, INSISTED on something. Kept bugging me for days until I put milk down. He drank the milk with no problems for about 4 months then quit one day!

We want pictures!!!!
I guess it is just wishful thinking on the flushable liter. Oh well, guess I'll just scoop into a bag and toss.

Here are a couple pictures of her.

size compared to lap top and ck bk cover
[ATTACH=CONFIG]184705[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-184699.jpe   attachment-184700.jpe   attachment-184701.jpe  
Old 04-15-2011, 01:05 PM

So cute.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:09 PM

she is a cutie for sure. Looks like she is going to have longer hair and it will be marked soooo nicely. I always love the white around their little eyes like that. Also looks like she is already on her way to being pampered Lily :)
Old 04-15-2011, 01:11 PM

Aw, what a cutie!!
Old 04-15-2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by klgreene
Originally Posted by amandasgramma

We want pictures!!!!
I guess it is just wishful thinking on the flushable liter. Oh well, guess I'll just scoop into a bag and toss.

Here are a couple pictures of her.
Looks like Tiger Lily is looking for the "mouse"! :lol: