Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
New sign of a stroke....please read!! >

New sign of a stroke....please read!!

New sign of a stroke....please read!!

Old 03-10-2011, 10:52 AM

Thank you Ditter - especially important concern for us women as stroke and heart attacks can appear very different for females.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:55 AM

Wow !! Thanks for the info.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:03 AM

I forwarded this to everyone I love, and got it back from my son with this information.

Mom,

These steps are typical of the "Cincinnati Stroke" assessment. Assessment of bilateral motor strength (equal grip), assessment of coordination and strength (raise arms and hold for 5 secs), smile, pupils equal, tongue drifts to opposite side of stroke, and my personal favorite....ask the patient to repeat the simple phrase "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"...that assessment should reveal any slurred speech indicative of a stroke on the cerebellum which may not present in other assessments. Have the patient perform simple arithmatic (i.e. 7 x 3) ...this assessment may reveal a possible stroke in the the parietal lobe of the brain. Lastly, assess for the presense of nausea or vomiting and of course, a headache. Thrombolytic therapy must be initiated within 1-3 hours from symptom onset. Contraindications of thrombolytic therapy include: surgery within 2 weeks, Pericarditis, hemorragic cva within 24 months and uncontrolled hypertension.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by mochasue
Is this a joke? Or are you serious? about the sticking out the tongue part?
Nope, not a joke. As an EMT we use F.A.S.T. = face (smile), Arms (extend both arms out the stroke side will drift downwards) Speech (ask them to say a sentence) Time - (when did the symptoms appear. Sticking their tongue out is another quick way. Also have the person grip both of your hands in theirs, the affected side will have little or no strength.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:34 AM

very important - DH had a stroke 5 years ago. What many people don't know is that stroke can also occur in children, babies, and even before birth. If you drew a curve of stroke incidence it would be U shaped - high in the first years of life and high at the later years. But it can happen anytime and to anyone.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:10 PM

I had a stroke last March actually next week it will be a year, I had no warnings I was in trouble until almost too late. Stayed home from work I had a migraine took some meds and lied down. Wasn't dizzy, I just felt off not my usual self. Sent my DH a text I was going out to run a couple of errands. Bent down to tie my sneakers and I couldn't set my left hand to function. Made my way back to the couch and then felt my heart racing and I couldn't control my left hand. Dialed 911 and when the operator came on I couldn't speak, thankfully I called from the house phone and it automatically displays my address. Sent a text to my DH - stroke
I had a CVA stroke a blood clot in the brain, no idea where or how it happened I was 46 in great health. Now I'm classified as being physically disabled, I still have weakness down my left side, the majority of my speech is back. So now whenever I get a bad headache I'm doing a mental check of the symptoms are they back?
I pretty much quilt with my right hand to keep the shakes and tremors down on the left hand. I was determined to not let the stroke or the after effects to not allow me to enjoy a hobby. So for me finishing my 1st quilt was a huge event for me it took me over a year to do it but I'm glad I did.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:36 PM

Shelia_H - wishing you continued improvement in your recovery and thank you for sharing your story. Wow, we never know, do we? Glad you completed your quilt - what a successful understaking.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:38 PM

Thank you for this valuable information ...
Old 03-10-2011, 12:48 PM

I suffer from migrains that mimic stroke symptoms. I have educated all my kids even my 5 yo to call 911 if I start acting funny. sometimes I cannot even speak they get so bad slurred speach and confusion. but better safe than sorry. I have been to the ER 2 times for it. Even if you think it is a migrane get to the DR's.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:49 PM

Thank you very much for posting this. My mother had several strokes and ended up in a vegetable state for several years before her death. Wish I had known of these things back then.