Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Nick names, a Southern thing >

Nick names, a Southern thing

Nick names, a Southern thing

Old 02-17-2011, 11:32 PM

I'm from Alabama & have an Uncle Bo (Paul), & another Uncle called my Brother Patrick Allewishish (don't know how to spell such a name) for Patrick. Aunt Gin is for Virginia, Ruby is Boo & Uncle Marvin is Tiny or Uncle Tiny. My Mom called me Sister Bill, but no one else that I recall did. I asked her why that & she didn't have an answer. My Son asked what I wanted to be called when my DGD was borned. I told him nothing with Grandmother/Grandma, etc, so Mama Sheila was OK. I'm Mama Sheila still to lots of folks or Aunt Sheila. I also have a Neice Bethany whose Nickname is Kricket because she is frightened to death of Krickets. My Son had a big banner made for her windshield says Kricket. She is now a high school teacher, but I don't know if the students know her by Kricket. I'll have to ask. Great post.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:44 PM

I never had a nickname growing up but my two oldest granddaughters have nicknames. The oldest is Leroy and the next oldest is Girl.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:19 AM

Our daughter was short, reddish color, and pudgy when born. My dad said she looked like Petunia Pig, then got shortened to Petunie, then shortened to Tunie. 43 years later she is still Tunie although she is now tall, thin, and beautiful.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:32 AM

Yes, I am a proud Texan as well... My mothers name was Geraldine and Her sisters name was Patricia. Now, for some unknown reason they called my Mom Pat and my Aunt Tricia??? But later called my Mom Gerry and my Aund Pat... How weird is that. My name is Venice and my family called me Neicey until just recently now they call me VV. What's up with us texas folk?? Love it though, wouldn't change a thing.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:41 AM

My parents' siblings were: sissy (ramona), dolly (florence), pinky (roland), sheriff (raymond), bo-bo (barbara), henry (charles edward), & george (robert arthur). They went by those names in the world. I am called, nini (roberta). My siblings: idda (mark), geendi - short for geendi-gondus (catherine), and bug (elizabeth). Our nicknames are used only within the family.

oh, and, we're from San Francisco. lol...
Old 02-18-2011, 04:53 AM

My dad is notorious for nicknames. For example, we have a relative who's rather roundish in shape with very short arms and legs. He nicknamed her Peanut. (He doesn't call her that to her face.) :lol:

He nicknamed me Dewey, although I have no idea why.

There are others, but those are the two I can think of offhand. :mrgreen:
Old 02-18-2011, 05:15 AM

My dad's nickname was Tuffy (was told by many that the name was earned). His sister was Aunty Pepper, his brother, uncle Dutchy. My husband's family calls him Butch. Our daughter is Scooter (when she was learning to crawl, she would scoot, so her dad nicknamed her that. She's 37 and he still calls her that.) My dad called my mom Honeypot because she was his honey and she had a pot (big belly).
Old 02-18-2011, 06:26 AM

When we were little my brother, whose real name is Raymond, was called "Bimbo." Totally different connotation that what Bimbo means now, which is now used only for a dumb female. Back in the 50s there was a popular song about a little boy named Bimbo that went something like this:

Bimbo, Bimbo, where you going to go - e -o?
Bimbo, Bimbo, what you going to do - e -o?
Bimbo, Bimbo, does your mommy know .....
You're going down the road to see your little girl -e - o?

Anyone else remember this song?
Old 02-18-2011, 07:06 AM

We used to call my sister Joanie Macaronni!!
Old 02-18-2011, 07:13 AM

In my southern area nicknames were considered very WRONG! I have friends and cousins named James, John, Charles, David etc. and they were called their proper names. Girls often had double names such as Linda Kay, Mary Ruth, Ada Mae etc. Each area has different customs, and that is what makes us interesting.