Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: No Black Friday Shopping, anyone else refrain?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tish05 View Post
    My local LQS had their first Black Friday sale yesterday. It was buy 2 meters, get 1 free. I have three quilt projects lined up for when I finish the quilt I'm currently working on. I have one fabric for 1 and I decided I want to make a disappearing 4 patch in two colours, so I needed a second fabric for that, plus some fireside fleece for the back. Also I picked up a couple of Christmas panels and I want to try a sort of attic window with one so needed some brown for the window frames. All totaled it came to $123.00 and I had 9 meters of fabric.
    I was in Beiseker for the Parade this year. My sister in law has Ancora Decor. Marnie sent me down to the quilt shop. I was in there twice that day and she had 25% off almost everything. I did not realize the sale at first and had to go back for more. You are lucky to have such a lovely quilt shop in your small town. I will go there again next year when I go back to visit family.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

No shopping for me except a birthday gift of season tickets for a local choir. No discount beyond the senior discount normally given. Black Friday was "quilt 'til your fingers hurt day".

I purchased the new Missouri Star Hexie template for $2.50... being the big spender that I am.

Blog Entries
    My grandchildren are older now so I give them money. My great grandson is 3 and I am still not sure what to do for him. He has a lot of toys so he may get money too. I am not a serious shopper anymore. I miss NYC and all the beautiful stores. I went into Macy’s in Naperville and it was a mess. This time of year I really extra miss my husband. We always took a Friday off work and shopped all weekend, saw the tree in Rockefeller Center, ate at special restaurants,etc. lots of wonderful memories. I only give gifts to the grandchildren..we all agree we want nothing so we donate. Christmas is more like a glittery Thanksgiving now.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

No shopping - I thought about it though. And I’ve been getting tons of emails about specials. Who knows what happens in the next 2 days!
    Lori

I took advantage of online sales to buy things I’ve had my eye on. Like my favorite hand lotion from Camille Beckman. Also some fabric I’ve wanted (Harvest Road by Lella Boutique). Last year I bought 1/2 yard of Mon Ami by BasicGrey to make a tote. I found some other pieces on Etsy from the same collection....couldn’t resist grabbing them. Now I have to make the tote!

We drove pass the outlet mall just north of Columbus Ohio Friday night, and the parking lot was overflowing!

I have not been out shopping on a black Friday since 2008! I retired mid 2009 from 25+ years in retail sales/management. My corporate store was located in a popular mall, and it was always a frenzy. The mall required us to be open at 4:00 AM meaning we needed to there at 3:00 AM. Employees were not allowed to park their vehicles in the mall lots. The worst comes out in people when they think they are saving an extra penny or two. The pushing/shoving/grabbing really took its toll over the years. I decided then that nothing was worth succumbing to that madness. I still love the season, and love shopping...just not that day.

We did venture out because DH had two Doctor appointments. Unfortunately, our clinic is about a mile past the mall, and the traffic was horrendous, with all exits backed up and traffic at a stand still. Fortunately the local police were keeping a through lane open. Coming back we meandered through city streets and avoided the freeways/highways.

Used to love to go out on BF with my daughter. It was exhilarating. But with stores opening on Thanksgiving, by the time i would go at 5 am the excitement was over. Retailers ruined it for me. Opening earlier and earlier. This year we went for a Pedicure. Was relaxing.

Blog Entries
    I would sooner gouge out my eyes with a hot poker than shop in a mall on Black Friday! I do not even like to go to the grocery store on that day. I worked retail for too many years and had to be on the other side of the counter for way too many of those sales! I sometimes have a couple items that I might check the internet for this weekend, but for the most part, And most of the other things, I don't need! Also, one of my daughters was born in December and because it is a very hectic month, I learned that you can buy your presents in Sept, Oct and Nov and then spend December just enjoying the season without the frenzy, the overspending and the stress!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-01-2019 at 10:16 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

No shopping for me---my dh and myself were out shoveling snow all day so I couldn't go if I wanted to. Snowed in for about 4 days. Besides I really don't like crowds pushing and shoving each other no matter how much money you save.

Quote Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
    I was in Beiseker for the Parade this year. My sister in law has Ancora Decor. Marnie sent me down to the quilt shop. I was in there twice that day and she had 25% off almost everything. I did not realize the sale at first and had to go back for more. You are lucky to have such a lovely quilt shop in your small town. I will go there again next year when I go back to visit family.
    Oh I haven't been in to Ancora Decor yet. I don't buy a lot of home decor but I'm going to have to drop in and have a wee shop! It looks like they have some interesting Christmas decorations and I haven't picked up anything special yet this year. I love the idea of supporting local when I can and it will be more special knowing someone I've "met" is related to the owner.
    "Marriage should be a balanced stalemate between equal adversaries"
    Amelia Peabody Emerson

No BF shopping for me. We had 2 days of family getting together.
    But on Friday morning, I did check out Bonnie Hunter's first clue for her new Mystery. www.quiltville.blogspot.com. The name of it is "Frolic".
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

My DDs and I would shop Black Friday when it was early on Friday morning not all night Thursday. We had a lot of fun going to the mall then. Not as frenzy as it is now. We ended the morning with hot chocolate in the food court, not mashed or hurried at all. I don't remember anyone buying a lot of TVs then. LOL Not a lot of men shopping Black Friday either. It was more a woman's experience.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Could not pay me to go to the mall on Black Friday.....of course we all have our price....hahaha

I have never shopped on BF, or the more recent CM either.

I did, mainly because I have a hard time keeping gifts hidden until Christmas.....lol I will shop as close to Christmas as I can and still get things delivered on time. Everyone else who lives out of my general area gets gift cads. Like Mom, my siblings and the kids and grand kids who usually get one card for the family.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

I have been doing my shopping on line for years....best way to find bargains, numerous per hour, rather than walking, browsing and trying to find the right size and color.....just shop online and everything is a click away.
    As far as going to the mall.....I do for a short visit, but I found incredible Black Friday deals at Macys on line, where, if at the mall, I may not find that item or the right size. I found Duck Boots Originals that were $ 75, on black Friday they were $19.99! found lots of savings on all kinds of items. Will do this every year. Amazon is my other favorite. Sometimes, no tax, all free shipping and delivered to my door in records time. don't have to pay for gas or find a parking space.....

Blog Entries
    No BF for me, did buy online fabric at about 2 am--no waiting in line. Hope to find good deal on batting this week. Grans just basically want the 'green' stuff which is ok with us. DD said they love shopping for what they 'want' during after Christmas sales. Will make some Christmas pillowcases and get in the mail soon as well as pecans that they like !

I shopped online at Amazon for an iRobot Roomba, it was $100. off. I’ve been wanting one so I finally got it. Other than that, no shopping. We live in Florida, grandkids are 13, 19 and 21 so we wire them money. Nothing I buy will be what they want plus the cost to ship it is outrageous. They shop after Christmas and hit some good sales. I spent the weekend sewing, quilting, embroidering and helping my hubby with power washing. Spent Thanksgiving playing golf and eating with friends.

In terms of shopping for Christmas, I haven't done Black Friday in at least 20 years... we gave up exchanging gifts in the family at least 10 years ago as well. We all had what we wanted. In terms of good deals, I've been known to buy some things here and there. A couple of years ago my hubby's work had a "giving tree" and one of the only things the young girl asked for was a sewing machine, so I watched and got a nice deal on a Brother at Walmart, it was when the order ahead and pick up first came out and it was not that bad an experience, but even getting in/out of the parking lot of Walmart on BF is an experience.

So anyway, we did go out on Friday and we did buy something but it was to a small business and we are on their mailing list, I don't sign up for many lists

And I don't think it counts, but I completely trashed my aluminum canning kettle/pot that I used as my big cooking dish. Not putting food into that ever again! So we looked at Costco last time we were there but for once they didn't have any of the stock pots, not in the restaurant section area, and we ordered one from Amazon that came Friday. Made turkey stock that afternoon! It has the different baskets and such and I'm going to try making tamales from a thread in the Recipe section with that stock.

Last year I think I did 4 Goodwills and made quite the haul. Went did our thrift run today after bowling as usual and the stores had a lot of space, must have been one heck of a deal. I got a pair of leggings on tag day (half price), so I think they were $3, and a pink tag CD that is a compilation from what was my favorite music station for close to 20 years. They changed formats a few years ago and I've been sort of lost, found one I liked and then after 2 years it changed format. Anyway, I've been picking up these compilation CDs, must have 10 now and it's like having the radio but no ads.
    Quilters: Advanced tool using humans.

Revised response. I bought two instant pots today. I finally decided to try one and found a leftover BF deal. DD visited today and I asked if she was interested in one too. She was definitely. Two clicks later and a second IP is on it's way.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-01-2019 at 05:18 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

No Black Friday shopping but I have been doing some cyber shopping - I bought an Accuquilt Go! Big! for me. I have the regular Go! but finally decided to go big������!!! And I just put s Dyson sweeper in reserve at Bed Bath & Beyond with pickup tomorrow. Great price and my son let me know they could really use this one for their stairs. My mom always gave us something for the house and this is what they need - now and for the new house which will hopefully be ready sometime next September. My husband decided just to get what we each wanted/needed. I bought a new printer (needed desperately) and he’s going to order a pair of western boots. His gift cost twice as much and a little more than mine so I’ll go quilt shop shopping later this week.

Tomorrow is Cyber Monday, where we can shop from home. Anyone found any good websites for quilters or knitters that have good Cyber Monday sales?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yes, I have to admit, I love Black Friday. I generally get smaller items, no electronics. I only go to stores where everyone is nice and very well behaved. I get lots of smaller items - a wallet for my SIL, hats/gloves and the like. It's fun for us. We find some deals, eat out somewhere informal and enjoy the other shoppers.

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    Tomorrow is Cyber Monday, where we can shop from home. Anyone found any good websites for quilters or knitters that have good Cyber Monday sales?
    Sewbizgirl- I have seen a lot of sales but 20 % doesn't do it for me!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast